NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

I just don't understand why PSA does not scan the cards it grades. It seems like this would solve most of the problems -- at very little, if any, expense.

Scott
Old 06-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Rick McQuillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I have made it known that you should have a card owner registry of the high value cards where the last registered owner would be contacted by email or something to see if they contend they are still in possession of the card (even know they arent doing the PSA registry thing)...cant fake same cert numbers when the current owner is notified and make it known there are 2 of the same certs out there..
So now we should register our graded cards? I don't want mine registered. It isn't anyone's business. Should the registry info go to the IRS to see if a sale was reported, or to Social Security to make sure no one sells cards that puts them over the earnings limit? Who would be in charge of this registry?

I don't think so.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:26 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
So now we should register our graded cards? I don't want mine registered. It isn't anyone's business. Should the registry info go to the IRS to see if a sale was reported, or to Social Security to make sure no one sells cards that puts them over the earnings limit? Who would be in charge of this registry?

I don't think so.

can easily keep many things private...just an email address..doesnt have to be a name...i dont know the names of the people on the registry unless they make it knwon..can be like craigslist or on the psa registry where you dont even know the real email...... if you were to buy a 10k card that turned out to be a fake i think that service would really help

....on purchases you make and sale on paypal all that info is there already my friend...... if you want to pay 80k cash for a jordan rookie where everything is private and you hope the card isnt fake more power to you....plus by not paying with a credit card the buyer loses valuable protection..when you pay by credit card..all the info you mentioned about the IRS checking to see if a sale was reported can checked by them..

basically id like to type a cert number....then an email check goes to the owner registry who can then notify that website that there is already an owner.....wouldnt even be emailing directly the card owner..... i dont think any more privacy would be invaded than you do when you buy something with a credit card...even less actually..because no sale even made..you just checking to see if there is a second 'owner' out there..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Say what you want about SGC, but these fake cards aren't turning up in SGC slabs.

It's hot outside. How about another big, tall glass of Kool Aid? Cherry or grape?
probably for the same reason they dont fake seiko watches?

not knocking sgc, just saying. if your goal is to scam, youre prolly gonna roll w/ the company w the highest prices realized.

but if they wanted to and w a nominal cost, they could very easily replicate a sgc holder. china.

its not like sgc slabs are made of some special plastic.

good on the kool-aid, but if ya got a wild cherry capri sun...snag me one of those, please.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

and there is a way to protect yourself.

downside: it benefits psa.

sucks, but whats another few bucks to sleep well on a major purchase?

and yes, i realize you shouldnt have to.

but that still doesnt mean it doesnt make sense to just go ahead and do it to add another level of protection.

upside: when selling, you have paperwork in hand from psa to show any perspective buyers that you yourself had the card reverified by them.

and agree wholeheartedly on the notion of them scanning cards and adding it to thier cert verification page.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
I just don't understand why PSA does not scan the cards it grades. It seems like this would solve most of the problems -- at very little, if any, expense.

Scott
I agree Scott. Don't they already scan (and print pictures) of PSA/DNA items? Or am I thinking of another company?

Last edited by xplainer; 06-18-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
Oh yes they do!! The Chinese knock off's are very good fakes..........
Old 06-18-2016, 06:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:

not knocking sgc, just saying. if your goal is to scam, youre prolly gonna roll w/ the company w the highest prices realized.

but if they wanted to and w a nominal cost, they could very easily replicate a sgc holder. china.

its not like sgc slabs are made of some special plastic.

good on the kool-aid, but if ya got a wild cherry capri sun...snag me one of those, please.
You totally missed my point. As Greg already mentioned, yes, there are indeed fake Seiko watches. Heck, there are fake Timex watches. Wanna buy one? Here you go...

http://www.replicafree.net/timex-watches.html

I already told you why you don't see these fake cards in SGC slabs and it has nothing to do with the fact that a PSA card will outsell it's SGC counterpart. If you want to ignore the truth, that's fine with me.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Oh yes they do!! The Chinese knock off's are very good fakes..........
seem pretty excited there.

and yes, they also fake hanes tshirts and rubbers.

but you do see my point, correct?

with china and their artistry of replication, theres not too many things that cant be replicated these days.

and an sgc holder certainly isnt one of them.

if graded cards were as popular as watches, tshirts and rubbers there would definitely be fakes of just about every brand and a much more rampant number of crooks doing it.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:26 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
seem pretty excited there.

and yes, they also fake hanes tshirts and rubbers.

but you do see my point, correct?

with china and their artistry of replication, theres not too many things that cant be replicated these days.

and an sgc holder certainly isnt one of them.

if graded cards were as popular as watches, tshirts and rubbers there would definitely be fakes of just about every brand and a much more rampant number of crooks doing it.
right they will fake 1963 Topps cards... and also 1999 topps cards because they fake everything..
Old 06-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

btw: and if you told a buddy that you bought a fake watch the other day and gave him three guesses as to what brand, i doubt very seriously a sieko would be one of them.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If you want to ignore the truth, that's fine with me.
please, indulge me...

what makes an sgc so unique in that it cant be replicated?

ive already explained that if graded cards were more popular that just about any company's holder would be replicated.

there's also a consensus that most of these holders are originating from one source. obviously that source decided to replicate the company w the highest prices realized.

even if it turns out to be the other idea of "an inside job", then that obviously explains why they are using psa holders.

but again, tell me why sgc holders are so superior that they cant be replicated as i just told you why they arent.

and never did get that capri sun.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-18-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I got back a submission of 9 cards yesterday from BVG. Unfortunately what would have been the highest grade of them came back trimmed. To me the rest looked spot on give or take a half grade. I will continue submitting to SGC and BVG.... To me they are the most consistent. For full transparency, they are both advertisers and PSA would be welcomed as an advertiser too if they so desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
As most of you know, I'm a small fish in this big collector sea but based on what I have read and seen on here and other avenues/forums numerous times, I must say PSA is quickly falling out of favor with me.

I have seen cards graded way too low for what they are and cards graded way to high for what they are as well.

This resubmit thing also boggles my mind and as someone said once, PSA= "Please Submit Again" it seems to be what they are hoping for time and time again.

I have some PSA graded cards as well as a few SGC's and a couple Beckett's and I will say, I much prefer the SGC slabbed cards more than I do the PSA's.

Beckett's are also nice, and if it's true that they are nearly impossible to crack, they'll get serious consideration over PSA as well if I ever decide to submit my cards.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

dp.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
and there is a way to protect yourself.

downside: it benefits psa.

sucks, but whats another few bucks to sleep well on a major purchase?

and yes, i realize you shouldnt have to.

but that still doesnt mean it doesnt make sense to just go ahead and do it to add another level of protection.

upside: when selling, you have paperwork in hand from psa to show any perspective buyers that you yourself had the card reverified by them.

and agree wholeheartedly on the notion of them scanning cards and adding it to thier cert verification page.
I've never heard of this. I don't see " Verify holder" as an option on their submission form. Would it fall under "Review"? What kind of " paperwork" do they send you that essentially says we examined the card in the holder and it is our holder? The card , in holder with a grade IS their verification. Tell me about this paperwork, I've never seen it mentioned before.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
People have been mistrusting PSA slabs for a long time and it has not hurt the registry or prices...it is that concept of something being too big to fail, I guess. In spite of all of their issues I would take a PSA graded card over a Beckett graded card every time. When I see a vintage card in a Beckett holder I immediately start looking for the alteration.
Not trying to get in a back and forth, but like Leon I find their grading more standard than PSA. I can lay 3 PSA cards with the same midgrade next to each other and they will often look nothing alike. The Becketts will often stay fairly steady.

As for alterations, I have seen many people send a card that BVG or SGC deemed altered given a number by PSA. They all have slip ups and I don't believe that BVG is any worse than the one company that holdered the most famous trimmed card in the world. I don't pledge allegiance to any of them but I like the BVG case for security, that's the main plus to me.

I agree, PSA absolutely sells for a premium and if I was a seller I would use it for the return. However, I am a collector and really enjoy getting what I like at a better price because some stock broker who just wants a card for his desk pays 4x average sale for a brand he recognized more.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I've never heard of this. I don't see " Verify holder" as an option on their submission form. Would it fall under "Review"? What kind of " paperwork" do they send you that essentially says we examined the card in the holder and it is our holder? The card , in holder with a grade IS their verification. Tell me about this paperwork, I've never seen it mentioned before.
(dave, posting this in verbage and depth for future folks that may stumble across it or have additional questions, i know you are knowledgeable on most of this stuff already)

there is not a "psa" option, just a personal protocol that i follow on certain monetary thresholds.

most of my purchases come directly from sellers that accept paypal or ebay. i don't use the fnf option as there is technically a way around the fees but does require a lil flexibility from the seller and timing if you cant necessarily pay for the card twice in one month. different topic for a different day.

here's the basic jist of my personal protocol.

few additional hoops and monetary costs associated w/ it, but peace of mind is key.

to date, it's saved me 3 times* and has yet to fail me:

1. never meet in an alley or pay in cash.

2. if it's too good to be true, it is.

3. register your cards on psa site. this could give you a quick heads up that something may not be right if the cert doesnt get released and you are asked to send proof scans.
this is basically a crucial heads up that something may not be right.

4. if something is up and someone else has same card/cert and it doesnt get released, psa will send you a prepaid mailing slip. be sure to notify the seller exactly what has transpired and that you were asked to send the card in by psa. this is evidence, so keep it. it also helps the seller know of a potential threat and where there is one bad card, there are probably a few more, ie "scam alert: cardregistry" thread here.

5. purchase w/ reg paypal funded w/ your amex.**

6. even if there isnt a cert issue, send card to psa under the "review" option as soon as it's in your possession. don't be lazy here.

7. this gets you paperwork from psa that it's been reverified while in your possession,
helps you sleep and this credibly assists you in the event you resell. plus you might even get a bump.
it's basically a four'fer.***

* only 1 issue w/ fake holder, but protocol has saved me a few times on ebay scams in which an acct has been hijacked and the seller shipped ups packages to a random address in my same hometown simply to auto-pass the computerized ebay "delivery confirmed" system which buys them more time to sell/withdraw funds as it goes thru the "claim" process you start. so don't rely on web option. pick up the damn phone, immediately ask for hv fraud support and take the few extra 5 mins to make the call so you don't waste 7 days on the auto-computerized claim. you will lose simply because the computer system technically sees that it was "delivered".

** amex has the customers back, not the vendors. while you still have the burdern of proof if something is suspect,
your money isnt hijacked or held. it's credited back instantly.

this is very important though: you have 3 levels of protection here. ebay>paypal>amex.

do not call amex first. if you do, it eliminates the ebay>paypal layers of protection instantly and you're only limited to amex's process/decision.

they will also do a subpar auto investigation where it tracking number shows "delivered to your hometown" and will initially lose there as well.

let those always run thier course. i beleive the ebay return gaurantee is 30 days which could expire considering

the time it takes to get mailed to you, you mail to them, to get logged in, to get reviewed, the "weekend" factor, etc.

but the paypal and amex claim windows definitely exceed the timeframe it should require to get it resolved.

*** might as well get it reholdered why it's there as well. but yes it sucks to pay psa again, but considering the amounts on the altered holders whats a few more dollars to sleep well.

however:

the max cap on a "reholder" is $35, i think.
the max cap on a "review" is $700, i think.

quite a difference, so i also need to press further to if the "reholder" option actually verifies the card itself.

i would assume it does, but do not know for certain. i vaguely remember asking before, need to check though.

its always been in the back of my mind to press hard and get it in writing, but this may be the kick in the arse i need to finally get an answer.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-18-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Not trying to get in a back and forth, but like Leon I find their grading more standard than PSA. I can lay 3 PSA cards with the same midgrade next to each other and they will often look nothing alike. The Becketts will often stay fairly steady.

As for alterations, I have seen many people send a card that BVG or SGC deemed altered given a number by PSA. They all have slip ups and I don't believe that BVG is any worse than the one company that holdered the most famous trimmed card in the world. I don't pledge allegiance to any of them but I like the BVG case for security, that's the main plus to me.

I agree, PSA absolutely sells for a premium and if I was a seller I would use it for the return. However, I am a collector and really enjoy getting what I like at a better price because some stock broker who just wants a card for his desk pays 4x average sale for a brand he recognized more.
Hey Justin,

From a security standpoint, Beckett's holder far surpasses any holder ever designed however as much as I would love to see a third party grader challenge the stranglehold PSA has on the hobby, it is not going to be Beckett. I am glad you are happy with their grading. I have seen far too many cards over the years that have had obvious problems or were not graded very accurately. If I am going to have to settle with an over graded card or one that was graded and should not have been, I would rather that card be in a PSA holder.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:36 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hey Justin,

From a security standpoint, Beckett's holder far surpasses any holder ever designed however as much as I would love to see a third party grader challenge the stranglehold PSA has on the hobby, it is not going to be Beckett. I am glad you are happy with their grading. I have seen far too many cards over the years that have had obvious problems or were not graded very accurately. If I am going to have to settle with an over graded card or one that was graded and should not have been, I would rather that card be in a PSA holder.
On the card below -

No Signs of Tampering
Beckett got nothin cept - Yea we dont know

photo Williams LOTG_zpsa1uuareh.jpeg

photo New Picture 2_zpstkuoot0c.png

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 06-20-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Pic Not showing Up
Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Bvg/bgs

I cracked a low grade card out of a BVG case yesterday. Nearly lost a eye 👀 case seemed practically bullet proof. I remember reading that someone's collection got lost in Hurricane Katrina and the only cards that weren't water damaged were the ones in Beckett slabs. Fraction of the price on vintage and seem to be the preferred with modern collectors esp NBA stuff.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp12367 View Post
I cracked a low grade card out of a BVG case yesterday. Nearly lost a eye 👀 case seemed practically bullet proof. I remember reading that someone's collection got lost in Hurricane Katrina and the only cards that weren't water damaged were the ones in Beckett slabs. Fraction of the price on vintage and seem to be the preferred with modern collectors esp NBA stuff.

It still amazes me that Beckett isnt the leader when i first came back to the hobby. Beckett was the authority and the only name I even recognzied. They must of dropped the ball early on as they were positioned very easily to be the leader in third party grading due to the name recognition already and reliance on their publications by all the card collectors......the story of how PSA swooped in and took most of the market share must be an interesting one...
Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It still amazes me that Beckett isnt the leader when i first came back to the hobby. Beckett was the authority and the only name I even recognzied. They must of dropped the ball early on as they were positioned very easily to be the leader in third party grading due to the name recognition already and reliance on their publications by all the card collectors......the story of how PSA swooped in and took most of the market share must be an interesting one...
I don't think PSA swooped in so much as BVG never really established itself as a major competitor.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think PSA swooped in so much as BVG never really established itself as a major competitor.
PSA started out as an authenticator. Beckett started out as a price guide.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
PSA started out as an authenticator. Beckett started out as a price guide.
Yes, and Jake presumably was talking about the authentication market. To say PSA swooped in on Beckett is wrong. Beckett failed to establish itself, in my opinion anyhow.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Right but Beckett is the name who is putting prices on cards....i do think others would of jumped aboard with them as a a grading authority....i understand that a coin grader thats established can also do cards as well which may of been the case with psa.

but the name beckett was really end all be all for me growing up and im sure others as well...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-20-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Can't just rely on name. Gotta deliver the better mousetrap.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Right. Pricing and grading are two different things. Look at what happened to SCDA. When Beckett first started grading collectors turned to them very quickly for the exact reason Jake pointed out--name recognition. Shortly after that word got out about the ease with which they would grade sheet cut cards which essentially is the same thing as trimmed cards. Not sure that was ever something they were able to resolve to win back people's confidence. Additionally, nobody ever knew the qualifications, names or experience of this new grading service's graders which is also a problem if you want to establish yourself as a leader.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I like Beckett, but I think that what is really holding them back is the insistence to not can the crappy BCCG program.

I have no idea why they would hold onto that, when honestly a BCCG graded card in my mind essentially is worth less than ungraded. The system is asinine and the grading is poor. I assume they have completely different folks doing BCCG as it follows NONE of the quality of BVG.

I think if they ended it and pretended it never existed in the first place it would up the trust in their product greatly.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
PSA with the SMR even with all of its faults is now an authority in some sense for pricings...so you can do grading and pricing...its goes together..
Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
PSA with the SMR even with all of its faults is now an authority in some sense for pricings...so you can do grading and pricing...its goes together..
SMR came after grading because there was no guide for values of graded cards. Point is that PSA came in with a qualified grading team first...boy was that hard to type...ugh. The company was known for their authentication services not their publication service. HUGE difference.