NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Do you think the prices realized were due to A.) soft economy; B.) the amount offered at one time or C.) confidence in the auction house or D.) a combination of all three?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Do you think the prices realized were due to A.) soft economy; B.) the amount offered at one time or C.) confidence in the auction house or D.) a combination of all three?
B
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Barry Sloate

A & B for sure...but as we've discussed on previous threads, an auction house could be convicted of a chainsaw massacre and still get high prices if they have good stuff. So while there have been some issues with the company's reputation, I don't think that affected the final prices.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it seems to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
A & B for sure...but as we've discussed on previous threads, an auction house could be convicted of a chainsaw massacre and still get high prices if they have good stuff. So while there have been some issues with the company's reputation, I don't think that affected the final prices.
I am quite sure this will be taken the wrong way by a few but here goes anyway. I think it was the economy and so many coming out at once. I don't think it's their reputation because I agree completely with what Barry said. As for anyone not bidding.....We had that thread a while back about boycotting and there was a mass.....nothing. The ones that boycotted probably never bid in their auctions anyway, or if they did, didn't win anything, or anything of any substantial value. Yeah, there might have been 1-2 but not many more than that.....

For the majority of collectors "stuff" trumps everything. When the stuff stops then it will be easier to boycott .

It will be interesting to see how the Chance Jersey does this evening.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 AM

In addition to the economy and the volume currently available, I think other factors are:

1) Back variations - I don't know if a bunch of back collectors have left the market over the past couple of years or if paying huge premiums for back variations and common fronts has just lost its luster, but back collecting today is just not what it was before from my experience.

2) Population does not equate with valuations - I think that a few people may have realized that each of T208s is far from unique (3 to 4 or more of each known) and that they might not deserve the crazy multiplier that prior sales may have suggested when compared to D359s or E104s which are not quite as rare, but certainly not orders of magnitude more plentiful.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Barry Sloate

I think the price of $20,400 for a single comon at the National threw everyone off. Take away that one sale, and last night's results wouldn't look nearly as bad.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post

2) Population does not equate with valuations - I think that a few people may have realized that each of T208s is far from unique (3 to 4 or more of each known) and that they might not deserve the crazy multiplier that prior sales may have suggested when compared to D359s or E104s which are not quite as rare, but certainly not orders of magnitude more plentiful.
Don't forget that people also collect type runs of T cards (Hi Leon!) and it only takes a few collectors needing one to set things off and running price-wise. And four grand for a common is pretty amazing no matter what.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Does anyone know who puchased a single T208 last night? As of yet, no one has aknowledged buying one.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Good points Barry and Dave. There are very few sets where commons sell in the $3-4k range. Even if we assume that last night's results were in line with market reality rather than low, the T208 set would still be the #1 T-set with respect to valuation by a pretty decent margin.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post
In addition to the economy and the volume currently available, I think other factors are:

1) Back variations - I don't know if a bunch of back collectors have left the market over the past couple of years or if paying huge premiums for back variations and common fronts has just lost its luster, but back collecting today is just not what it was before from my experience.

I think both things you say are correct. I hope back collecting continues to fall out of favor. As I told a newbie in a thread recently: One of the main things to do is collect what you enjoy. That way regardless of monetary value you still have something you like. Because of my own desire to have a variety of cards I doubt I will ever be a mainstream set collector. It just doesn't do it for me. Also, as a type collector, values can easily be swayed. If one or two folks aren't bidding something could go for pennies on the dollar that I just paid a boatload for. It comes with the territory.....