NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Jack Kerouac at The New York Public Library

Posted By: Joseph

The highlight of a fabulous new exhibit (Beatific Soul: Jack Kerouac On The Road) at The New York Public Library is the magnificent unveiling of 60 feet or so of a single-spaced typewritten scroll of "On The Road." It may be the greatest collectible I've ever seen on public display—amazing!--UNTIL I SAW “SECTION 8.”

"Section 8” contains the materials related to the fantasy baseball game which Kerouac invented and chronicled for most of his life. OH MY GOD! It’s a good thing I live in New York because I had to leave after 20 minutes as I thought I’d die of excitement. If you’re serious about baseball board games (or obsession of any sort) you may well react in a similar fashion. There’s team cards, player cards, newsletters about league play, scorebooks, “correspondence” with Tom Yawkey…etc. Then there’s the guts of the game itself: various incarnations of rules and charts with a “Final Version” of something or other from 1965—putting the range of documents from 1935 to 1965. Mr. Kerouac was VERY SERIOUS about his game!

Simply stunning. If you are anywhere near NYC by all means GO SEE THIS STUFF! It runs through February, but you can get details at the NYPL web site. After a lifetime of lukewarm feelings about Kerouac I now love the guy.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Wow. I'd never heard of this before. I like Kerouac, so I need to go see this.

-Al

Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

The baseball obsession wasn't really known until his archives were accessed by the Library. You can read about it here: http://www.thecolumnists.com/isaacs/isaacs69.html

Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Joesph,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Jack Kerouac as a writer and a poet is virtually worshiped in the SF-Bay Area, now that I find out that he's a baseball game enthusiast he becomes worshiped that much more.

Peter C.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I will have to check it out too. It seems so incongruous that Kerouac would both write the definitive Beat novel, and invent a fantasy baseball game. He was a complicated man.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Could you guys snap a few pics?, if you don't mind

Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

futher proof that baseball is the solvent that melts all barriers.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'm a Kerouac fan and anyone who has read biographies of him knows that beyond being a huge sports nut (he was recruited to Columbia to play football for Lou Little) he actually developed this sophisticated baseball playing card game that included teams named for cars: Washington Chryslers, Pittsburgh Plymouths, etc. Baseball was a major passion of his. Below is a check he wrote out to himself and endorsed on the back. Below his name on the back is his address, 34 Gilbert, in Northport, New York, where he moved a year after "On the Road" was published.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Nice checks Jeff L., did you know that the Merry Pranksters of Stanford fame were inspired by Jack Kerouac and Timothy Leary. This inspired me to read the Electric Cool Aid Acid Test by Thomas Wolfe. It's like they say, one thing leads to another.

Peter C.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

In On the Road, there is a scene near the end where Dean Moriarty keeps flipping the TV between a Dodger game and (I think) a Yankee game.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George

Jeff,

That Jack Kerouac check, or one very similar to it, was probably written to buy a few beers at Teddy's or The Skupper in Northport. I graduated from Northport High School in 1960, and met Jack Kerouac a number of times at these establishments. At that time, a glass of beer cost 15 cents, so $100 would go a long way. Kerouac was a very smart guy, and very eloquent, and he enjoyed lively discussions and arguments. My friends and I also enjoyed drinking beer and talking, so it was a fine match. Another good point was that Jack Kerouac was a famous author, and presumably had lots of money. One thing was certain.......he had a lot more money than we did, and he was very generous with it......at least to the extent of financing a pitcher or two of beer.

George

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

George- having hung out with Kerouac is amazing. You should write an article about it.