NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default WTB- FB Rookies & Stars

I am not a huge FB collector but I have 17 sets underway.

Of course 14 of them are 1971 Topps FB so I need some more Bradshaw cards, Mean Joe Greene, Namath, OJ Simpson and Sayers. I really only want inexpensive versions (lower grade) since I have about 9 complete sets already. i can use a few more of each of these guys to give this a boost.

1972 topps Bradshaw and Pastorini have eluded me so far too...only need 1 of these

1966 Philadelphia needs stars like Butkus, Unitas, Lilly etc...if you have some available, send me a message and I will get you the full list. No super high grades , but I will consider nicer ones if needed, since this set is pretty nice compared to some of my beauties

And, I always liked reading about an early FB legend, Johnny "Blood"McNally but I never had a card of his. Is there one?

(Got the 58 Jimmy Brown to complete the set! Thanks Brent!)

Latest card that I thought I had, but still want is 1957 Topps Raymond Berry. Medium grade would be perfect!

What do you guys have out there to help?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 03-08-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added Berry, removed Brown
Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

Of course 14 of them are 1971 Topps FB so I need some more Bradshaw cards, Mean Joe Greene, Namath, OJ Simpson and Sayers. I really only want inexpensive versions (lower grade) since I have about 9 complete sets already. i can use a few more of each of these guys to give this a boost.

1972 topps Bradshaw and Pastorini have eluded me so far too...only need 1 of these

1966 Philadelphia needs stars like Butkus, Unitas, Lilly etc...if you have some available, send me a message and I will get you the full list. No super high grades , but I will consider nicer ones if needed, since this set is pretty nice compared to some of my beauties

And, I always liked reading about an early FB legend, Johnny "Blood"McNally but I never had a card of his. Is there one?

Finally, I have a low grade 1958 Topps set missing the Jim Brown RC . I thought I had a line on a scuffed but decent version with a light crease , but the dealer didn't want to sell just Jimmy and I didn't need another starter set. That one would have been perfect!

Good luck with your sets!

Johnny McNally has a few cards/items out there. Look for these:

1932 Packers Walkers Cleaners
1934 Diamond Matchbook
1963 Stancraft (playing card set)

I think he's in one of the newer HOF sets as well. Maybe Fleer Immortals from the 70s?

jeff
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
John Spano

Brian,

I have examples of the McNally match cover and Packers Walkers Cleaners on my website. Shoot me amp if you have any questions.

www.msbsportscards.com
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

Although the Matchbook cover is nice, I would highly recommend (if you can afford it) to jump on the Walker's Cleaner Packers - you may never seen one again for 5+ years. And from what I remember at the National - MSBs Walkers are Clean (no pun intended). Good Luck
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Wow

Thanks guys for the info about Johnny Blood!

Looking at his career, after a lenghty run with Green Bay, he went to the Pitt Pirates in 1934 for a season (the one shown on the matchbook), then went back to the Packers for a couple seasons, then back to Pitt.

So to get McNally on the Packers is a tough feat. That Walker Cleaners item is out of this world cool, but over my football card budget...heck it might be over my *baseball* card budget too!

I might have to consider the matchbook, John...BTW, you've got a great website there!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 AM
John Spano

Thanks Brian.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Jeff P

Original inductees into the Pro Football HOF that includes Johnny McNally.

Top Row (L to R): Sammy Baugh, Cal Hubbard, Bronko Nagurski, George Halas, Red Grange, Ernie Nevers

Bottom Row (L to R): Earl “Dutch” Clark, Earl “Curly” Lambeau, Mel Hein, Johnny “Blood” McNally, Don Hutson

Not pictures: Bert Bell (deceased), Joe Carr (deceased), Wilbur “Pete” Henry (deceased), Tim Mara (deceased), Jim Thorpe (deceased), George Preston Marshall (ill and unable to attend)

jeff
Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Andrew

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-B...item2c7cadef57

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-R...item2c7cade314

Also many other graded cards from 1960!!! Check out the other auctions
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Clarity

Guys,
I appreciate the replies and PM's regarding my FB needs list.

My title may be ambigous, but my WL is not.

1971 Topps mid grade super stars
1966 philadelphia mid grade stars
1958 Topps low grade Jim Brown
Johnny "Blood " McNally

That's it, not really interested in other years or players at this time. Once again, thank you for contacting me!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

Finally, I have a low grade 1958 Topps set missing the Jim Brown RC . I thought I had a line on a scuffed but decent version with a light crease , but the dealer didn't want to sell just Jimmy and I didn't need another starter set. That one would have been perfect!

Brian, I have a question. Are you really collecting multiple 1971 Topps FB sets? Maybe I missed why that is. Just curious. Year of your birth???

Erik
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Hi Brian,

14 complete 1971 Sets? I stand corrected that nobody loves the 71 Topps Football set more than me! LOL

I can't help you with the stars you listed, but I do have plenty of 71's listed in my Unisquare store.
http://www.unisquare.com/store/bigre...pps-football-/

I also have this 58 Jim Brown Rookie that might work out for your set.

EX range minus the mark on the front.

Also Johnny "Blood" McNally was featured in the 1988 Swell 25th Anniversary HOF set.

PM me if you might have interest in any of these cards or cards from my unisquare store.

John (Bigredone)

Last edited by BigRedOne; 02-18-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: vvgh
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Erik -14!!

Thanks guys, I found a Jimmy Brown for my set!!!!
That wraps up the 58 Topps, so now I am only collecting 72T, 66P and the insane 14 set quest of 71T.

I was 9 years old in 1971, the first year I was serious about cards.
I had collected a few 1970 Baseball and Football (dull designs, eh?) and some 1971 Baseball, but by the fall of 1971 I was addicted to FB and those cards!
I bought hundreds and hundreds, then moved onto 72 Topps Baseball and I hit high gear throughout my teens.

As others often did, I forgot about cards for awhile but got reacquainted in the mid to late 80 's. Eventually I amassed a giant collection of that crap of the overproduced era , but found great interest in collecting the oldies too. I had almost all the cards from my youth still, except my original 1971's

But, I discovered that my favorite cards could be had cheaply on eBay...and off I went to recreate those memories!

When compiling the set by buying lots, I placed them in a binder, finished set 1 and found I had enough to start a second set, and put set 2 in the same binder.
I kept buying though.
Next I placed each card across the row, 3 of each player per 9-pocket sheet.
Looks pretty cool!
That was sets 3,4,5
Of course, that wasn't enough, so I chose to collect more and do a full page of each player, meaning I needed 9 more of each card, or 14 sets in all.
The 9x collection method has been adopted by a few collecting friends, that looks REALLY cool!

Who knows, maybe with the hundreds of extras I will keep going, but I think I only have 9 full sets now, since I am short several Bradshaws, Namath, Greene etc in those, although I think I have ~30 cards of Jim Butler, Ernie Wright or Gary Garrison.

Fun!

Thanks for asking and for your help in acquiring more cards!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Thanks for sharing your story Brian!!!

That is another part of this hobby that I LOVE. Hearing other's stories about how they got started and what they collected as a child.

As I have told John, I just love people like you and him, that still collect after all these years because of the CARDS and not the money. Because we love the cards designs, colors, players, teams... and how doing so, keeps us young and takes us back to when we were kids.

I am proud to say, I have an 11 year old that, with thanks to John, is into our hobby. It makes me upset when I go to shows and he and MAYBE 2 other youngsters are there.

So again, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Thanks

This thread has turned out cool...

I bought another 1971 Jim Kiick today, which makes 37 of that card for me I still have resisted going past 14 sets, but it wouldn't surprise me to fall into another lot and get a few more sets into binders...The Jim Kiick card started this collecting craziness for me 43 years ago ( I had earlier cards, but this one set really cinched it!)...I'll gather as many of those that I can find. Condition is not important. LMK if you have any, good or bad.

I added 1957 Topps Raymond Berry to my WL above , as I thought I had one that I was going to give to a collector friend. But if I do have Ray in a box somewhere, I cannot seem to find him Any help on a medium grade version would be great. I'll buy or trade.

K-Nole, what does your little one collect? Maybe I have something to offer (no charge)....

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:03 PM
David Bender

Default Deacon Jones

Hi Brian,

I have a midgrade (raw) 1971 #209 Deacon Jones available for trade. Looking for similar vintage in baseball / basketball / hockey. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, David