NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Just wanted to add to the OP that there is a card show in Redford Michigan this Sunday from 9am to 2pm. https://www.facebook.com/RedfordCardShow/

I'm sure you could get an opinion there or at least actually see and feel an ungraded '52 common to compare with yours. Lots of older gentlemen selling 50's Topps cards set up shop at the show....like every other card show in America.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

So like other Mantles on net54....we never get to see the results of a PSA submission... gone with the wind
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So like other Mantles on net54....we never get to see the results of a PSA submission... gone with the wind
I highly doubt there was ever a PSA submission.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM
David M.

When someone comes on the board with less than 20 posts and asks about a 52 Mantle, why do I always wonder if it's someone asking "how good does this fake look?" And then we tell them how to make the fake better. Just me being cynical I guess
Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Steve

Default cynicism-free zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
When someone comes on the board with less than 20 posts and asks about a 52 Mantle, why do I always wonder if it's someone asking "how good does this fake look?" And then we tell them how to make the fake better. Just me being cynical I guess
Those have been my suspicions, as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Al Richter

What a cynical group
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I always figure they are just looking for a sucker to buy their fake Mantle they bought off Etsy.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I always figure they are just looking for a sucker to buy their fake Mantle they bought off Etsy.
My thoughts as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Al Richter

You guys are probably right and if so think how maddening it must be for a guy to get all this advice about his card and what he should do with it when all he wants is an offer
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Keith

Default 100% Fake

Just peeked at the photos and no way is this card real. The scanner did a good job to capture the pattern of ink rosettes used in 4C printing. Among thest I;ve ever seen.

But, the corners are obviously hand-scraped on sandpaper or a file to round them. You can tell because the paper is curling on the rounded corners. Sure sign it's artificial wear created very quickly. Real wear would result in those paper fibers slowly wearing away leaving a diminished thickness of the stock on the worn corners. Luckily there is no counterfeit substitute for card wear that occurs over time.

Total 100% fake.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post
Just peeked at the photos and no way is this card real. The scanner did a good job to capture the pattern of ink rosettes used in 4C printing. Among thest I;ve ever seen.

But, the corners are obviously hand-scraped on sandpaper or a file to round them. You can tell because the paper is curling on the rounded corners. Sure sign it's artificial wear created very quickly. Real wear would result in those paper fibers slowly wearing away leaving a diminished thickness of the stock on the worn corners. Luckily there is no counterfeit substitute for card wear that occurs over time.

Total 100% fake.
Sharp observations there about counterfeiting pitfalls, but unfortunately, there are apparently still plenty of the guys that P.T. Barnum referred to being born every minute.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 PM

I didn't disappear guys.....i should be hearing back from PSA any day now...It's supposed to take 7 days after they receive it and I'm on day 10.....growing impatient.....i'm really hoping that the extra time may be because it's legit.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post

Total 100% fake.
I can tell you that the paper was not curling....may appear in the pic even though i just looked at my pics and i don't see what you referring to. Not dismissing your opinion and i agree the corner rounding without much wear is suspicious but it's possible it's legit and it was just trimmed or modified...which would still make it a legit card.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

well if the card ends up being 'psa legit' then all of the people posting that its 100% fake etc will be looking pretty bad..
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by techkiller View Post
I didn't disappear guys.....i should be hearing back from PSA any day now...It's supposed to take 7 days after they receive it and I'm on day 10.....growing impatient.....i'm really hoping that the extra time may be because it's legit.
Good luck techkiller. I think PSA is swamped right now. I have sent some cards valued <$500 to them. They received on 11/24, entered in their system on 12/5!!!! and still "in process".
Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 PM

I called PSA and although they have not completed my submission yet (UGH!!!! Day 14 of estimated 7day) I was told the Mantle was found to be a counterfeit....even though it has the honeycomb printing....disappointing for sure but it was a $25 lottery ticket so i'm not that upset.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:07 PM

Actually the grades just posted on their site.....The 52 Mantle was graded "N4 Questionable Authenticity".....my question to all of you....what does that even mean?
Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Actually the grades just posted on their site.....The 52 Mantle was graded "N4 Questionable Authenticity".....my question to all of you....what does that even mean?
Just a guess here but I'd say the info they gathered is inconclusive, meaning they are not 100% sure it is fake but something is there that is telling them not to grade it as real either?

It could be a very good fake or a very poor genuine.

Glad to read it was only $25 bucks for you.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It means fake, but it also means their lawyers won't let them call it "FAKE" for the 0.001% chance that the card is real.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
It means you can list it on eBay with a picture of the card and the flip and make hundreds of dollars. Seriously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mant...cAAOSwHNxaQd6S
Old 12-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Dave_Berg

Not surprised at all for the identifying reason I noted in my post
Old 12-27-2017, 05:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I called PSA and although they have not completed my submission yet (UGH!!!! Day 14 of estimated 7day) I was told the Mantle was found to be a counterfeit....even though it has the honeycomb printing....disappointing for sure but it was a $25 lottery ticket so i'm not that upset.
Still can buy a ton of 6 dollar mantles and sell it at yard sales with old stuff ans ask 25 dollars on it...thats still 4x your money if the guy even paid that much before sold to you....
Old 12-27-2017, 05:36 PM

Thanks for coming back to fill us in with the results, tech.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

At least you will save a lot in grading fees versus if the mantle turned out to be real. You saved a lot there at least.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-27-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Would have been a nice story if it was real, but 1) '52 Mantle's have been reprinted/faked for 40 years and 2) I'm always suspicious when the ONE card someone "finds in their attic" is a high dollar card. Where are the other '52's in the stash? No wrappers? No other years? Seems ridiculous to me.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
Would have been a nice story if it was real, but 1) '52 Mantle's have been reprinted/faked for 40 years and 2) I'm always suspicious when the ONE card someone "finds in their attic" is a high dollar card. Where are the other '52's in the stash? No wrappers? No other years? Seems ridiculous to me.
Except I've seen something close. (Not 52 Mantle high dollar, but at the time a nice card)
A friend of mine asked if I could check out his collection before he gave it to a family member. Just a quick "oh yeah, can you check out my collection" just before we headed out drinking.
That was a surprise, since I didn't think he even had a collection at all.

I was nearly right - 4 cards, between 71 and 73 including a Schmidt rookie.

I've also come across antique dealers with one card of a star from the 50's. It's less common, but for a while some dealers would buy only a card or two from a collection, or just a single from a random seller.

I got my Baker silk at a coin show that way, it was the only baseball card the dealer had.