NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Even if we removed all three of your posts from this thread (yes, you came back twice after your initial visit), there would still be 39, meaning people are getting a little entertained by it. Also, you've spent 3 out of your 108 posts in this thread alone, which is over 2.5% I personally haven't spent that much time in this sort of thread and I just created one!

But I understand - I would love to have a personal coffee shop that only sold the one type of tea I like and Costa Rican French press, that allowed non-barking dogs but not babies and that you had to drop your cell-phone at the door, turn the volume off on your p.c. and you aren't allowed in at all if you are wearing musk cologne or perfume.
Thanks for the stats update, Scott! Perhaps my comment was misplaced. I should have reserved it for the bi-weekly battlefield thread or the next fake Mantle rookie to pop up. It seems this topic has legs, so it was not the best choice to post my comment. I'd honestly be surprised if I'm alone in thinking this.
Also, for what it's worth, I met you (or someone from Belltown) at the Cleveland National. I bought a couple e95s as I recall. It's always wonderful to get a snarky comment directed at you from someone with whom you've done business.
Won't make that mistake again.
Sam Swartz
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
David Peck

Glad I clicked on this thread.

That run of Nolan Ryan cards is simply awesome. If you have the jack to throw around good for you. Not every purchase has to make since to others.

Bob I am beyond impressed with the range of cards and having so many in such nice condition. Nice going!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

appreciate it eric and dpeck!

there really were no hard feelings whatsoever and a ton of cryptic stuff that flew under the radar that most probably did not pick up on.

and dpeck, saw the jabs going back and forth in the other thread. sorry to see that. and unfortunately w/ the cu board being run into the ground by whoever or whatever gag order regulations they have in place, there aren't really a lot of other places to go to discuss cardboard.

whether this board, that board or simply just bored this hobby is supposed to be a community. that word is derived from the words "common" and "unity". who cares what who collects? seriously.

lately on just about every board and on every front, it seems to be solely filled w/ nothing but negativity and wickedness. it's a shame.

i know you don't do a ton of prewar either and while not as active, maybe try the postwar side of the sandbox. i feel like i was dragged over here by "the list" and it's darkside. and by darkside, i don't mean the people, more the vibe. it's pretty heavy on this side....hopefully frankie goes to hollywood soon
Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
appreciate it eric and dpeck!

there really were no hard feelings whatsoever and a ton of cryptic stuff that flew under the radar that most probably did not pick up on.

and dpeck, saw the jabs going back and forth in the other thread. sorry to see that. and unfortunately w/ the cu board being run into the ground by whoever or whatever gag order regulations they have in place, there aren't really a lot of other places to go to discuss cardboard.

whether this board, that board or simply just bored this hobby is supposed to be a community. that word is derived from the words "common" and "unity". who cares what who collects? seriously.

lately on just about every board and on every front, it seems to be solely filled w/ nothing but negativity and wickedness. it's a shame.

i know you don't do a ton of prewar either and while not as active, maybe try the postwar side of the sandbox. i feel like i was dragged over here by "the list" and it's darkside. and by darkside, i don't mean the people, more the vibe. it's pretty heavy on this side....hopefully frankie goes to hollywood soon

I like to keep up with all aspects of the hobby. I have been reading this board for years and just post when a thread pops up that I think one is warranted.

The boxing/wrestling side is a little slow but I have started some threads there to show some of my collection.

I think most of us just like to talk to other people who share the passion of collecting cards. It is a small hobby in reality and so message boards are a good place for people to talk and share ideas and stories.

There are a lot of people who are tough online but in reality are much more soft in real life. I think it is just the nature of the internet.

You just brush off the negativity and focus on why you are here. Cards are fun and in the end none of us need this stuff but choose to collect it for various reasons.

I love to see others share their collections and especially when it is as awesome as what you posted. That takes a lot of effort and it shows.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Thanks for the stats update, Scott! Perhaps my comment was misplaced. I should have reserved it for the bi-weekly battlefield thread or the next fake Mantle rookie to pop up. It seems this topic has legs, so it was not the best choice to post my comment. I'd honestly be surprised if I'm alone in thinking this.
Also, for what it's worth, I met you (or someone from Belltown) at the Cleveland National. I bought a couple e95s as I recall. It's always wonderful to get a snarky comment directed at you from someone with whom you've done business.
Won't make that mistake again.
Sam Swartz
Nothing snarky about my comment. You wrist-slapped me for posting about bad ebayers, so I responded. There was nothing wrong with my starting this thread and I thought you should understand that.

Seriously - EVERY SINGLE TIME I post in Net54, I realize that someone is likely to imply that I'm a dumbass. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's why I took a 5 year vacation, and while I'm on the verge of another.

No offense intended - you are completely normal and I am odd. I get that.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Nothing snarky about my comment. You wrist-slapped me for posting about bad ebayers, so I responded. There was nothing wrong with my starting this thread and I thought you should understand that.

Seriously - EVERY SINGLE TIME I post in Net54, I realize that someone is likely to imply that I'm a dumbass. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's why I took a 5 year vacation, and while I'm on the verge of another.

No offense intended - you are completely normal and I am odd. I get that.
Under no circumstances was my post intended to be a "wrist slap." I'm very sorry it was interpreted as such. My only point was that there are many posts about sketchy eBay sales, so many that I wish there was a separate section to house them, just like there's a section for BST, post-war, OT, etc. I honestly should have posted my comment in one of the other eBay issue threads. Or, I shouldn't have said anything at all. One thing we can agree on: if you post an opinion it seems other than liking some guy's T206 misprint, it seems like you're setting yourself up for drama.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
One thing we can agree on: if you post an opinion it seems other than liking some guy's T206 misprint, it seems like you're setting yourself up for drama.
Thanks.

Actually, any new discussions involving T206's incur the wrath of another section of the forum.

The hobby has gotten so huge that no one agrees on what is worth discussing. I couldn't get a photo sub-forum, yet we got a 'ring' sub-forum. Go figure.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Bored 5000

the Andre the giant is not the same as the nolan ryan. The Andre the giant is labeled as a collectible photo on the magazine cover and was clearlyy intended to be cut out. Just because you may not particularly like it does not make it a non collectible. I agree with those ripping the Ryan from the sporting news as it was not intended to be a collectible on its own, but the Andre the giant is clearly meant to be cut out, despite being on a magazine page, and is labeed as such on the front cover. Yes i understand they are refered to as wallet size photos on the 1973 cover, later issues say trading cards (1978 & 1981), they were still meant to be cut out and collected, a completely different animal from the Ryan.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-03-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
the Andre the giant is not the same as the nolan ryan. The Andre the giant is labeled as a collectible photo on the magazine cover and was clearlyy intended to be cut out. Just because you may not particularly like it does not make it a non collectible. I agree with those ripping the Ryan from the sporting news as it was not intended to be a collectible on its own, but the Andre the giant is clearly meant to be cut out, despite being on a magazine page, and is labeed as such on the front cover. Yes i understand they are refered to as wallet size photos on the 1973 cover, later issues say trading cards (1978 & 1981), they were still meant to be cut out and collected, a completely different animal from the Ryan.
Were Swedish Rekord Peles and Clays intended to be collectibles, they are just cut off the magazine covers?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I believe so

I am pretty confident they were. I have seen copies that appeared to have been cut out in year of issue. Now the hemmets journal I do not think we're meant to be cut into 4s.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-03-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am pretty confident they were. I have seen copies that appeared to have been cut out in year of issue. Now the hemmets journal I do not think we're meant to be cut into 4s.
How would you know when they were cut? Agree on the Hemmets and I don't know why the full sheets don't go for more of a premium.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
i agree 100% with this and while i haven't looked in a while, i believe the giant to have had actual "clipping" or a perforated type border around the photo or "card" and it even has a back.

the nolan ryan is a completely different animal. its more along the lines of finding his old year book and clipping out his senior picture and sending it in to get slabbed where as the back of it would be half a pic of the debate team that holds no association w/ ryan whatsoever!

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-03-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Leaving aside the discussion regarding what should (and should not) be graded, I offer the following generally valid maxim, which has served me quite well:

Buy what you like and like what you buy. Leave the rest for everyone else.

Best regards and happy collecting, no matter what it is you collect.
DITTO ^^^
You Rock'on BOB!!!
Sometimes the gerbel falls off the wheel, but gets right back on it.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Sometimes the gerbel falls off the wheel, but gets right back on it.
it that a richard gere quote or something? ; )

and good job on that wagner, still questioning the 3...