NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Duly note that my working scenario is the case would be in small clams court, with a judge scheduling 10 minutes per case and the item in dispute being a baseball card or such that won't particularly stand out to a non-collecting judge as something of more significance than the stolen lawn chair set or the missing carburetor in the day's previous cases. I'm not envisioning the case involving the stolen relic of the Babylon and teams of lawyers and professorial expert witnesses.

If it turns out the eBay auction was for the Hope Diamond or the newly uncovered second set of Anne Frank's diaries, I will revisit my earlier post.

Last edited by drcy; 06-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
small clams court
Nice
Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a seasoned collector said to an angry newbie, "You have a valid legal point, but the FBI isn't going to open a case over your stolen 1980 Topps set."

Last edited by drcy; 06-09-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
2 things. If you sue in a dispute where something is physically stolen (not the case here) you only get what you paid for the item, and not what it would be worth now, what is its market value or what you would have gotten if you resold. The judge would look only at your receipt from when you bought it and have no interest in theoretical market valuations or how much (according to the plaintiff) it's gone up in value since then.

2, you're out no money. Considering the first paragraph, you'd have to convince the judge that you've been harmed. He (or she) may very well say you get the item in exchange for the price paid if you want because the sale was a contract, but he may, having little to no interest in theoretical resale speculations and market valuations, say you're out no money so he doesn't see the harm. You'd have to convince him. Realize that most people come before the judge in such suits are suing because they paid money, didn't get the item and want their money back. You'd be coming before him with having gotten your money back. You may indeed get the item (in re-exchange for the win price), but, if you didn't, you would not win any of paragraph 1's pie in the sky money.
Technically not true on either point. If you sue for something that it stolen from you, you are entitled to the value of the property at the time of conversion/theft, not what you paid for it. Punitive damages might also be recoverable.

As for the latter, you would be entitled to benefit of the bargain damages, meaning if you could show that the item cost you $x to replace and x was greater than what you would have paid here, the difference is your damage--so long as your replacement reflected some reasonable market value and was an arm's length transaction.

Here in AZ, a small-claim court (or even claims under $10K) would be heard by a justice of the peace, who does not even have to be a lawyer much less a a judge. So you might just get a cup of coffee and a round of applause.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
What becomes an interesting long discussion thread is when (not necessarily this case) a buyer comes on Net54 to complain about a seller and the seller is actually also a Net54 member, who responds here on the forum.
Oh is he now? According to the seller, he said someone messaged him. I'm only going off what the seller told me here..

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
I've had this happen twice in the last month where the seller didn't like the price and automatically refunded money
This bullsh!t happened to me last night, I'm so pissed!! Seller said, the item was sold a few weeks ago... What a liar! I did a search, nothing. I asked for the item number, no response... Whatever!

Al
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM

I'm sure it's easy for you to deduce who it might be that felt like running a cock block move, huh? Anyone you've had a tiff with that wants to get back at you. If you're talking about a game used bat, it's a small industry, for the most part....
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

As Tony Soprano said, "Revenge is a dish best served with cold cuts"
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Let me know when the poster wins the court case for lost profits. Chatboard legal arguments do not a court ordered bank check make, especially when in the real world a federal case starts with finding out how much a lawyer costs.

In the real world the best thing to do is, if founded in fact, to publicize the offending sellers and tamperers so future buyers are aware of their level of hobby ethics.

Of course, collectors will still deal with these people when they have the goods, but that's a major problem with this hobby. Personally, I'm lazy and won't spend the time and effort bidding in an auction where I know the seller may back out. There are better things I can do with my time, such as watching Gilligan's Island or playing Yahtzee.

Last edited by drcy; 06-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

If you click 'Find a member', the resulting screen then adds 'by bidder' under the 'Items' search area. I guess ebay missed that.

I was just messing around trying to find what Albert lost out on last night, but only found a couple of $10 boxing cards that ended back on May 27. I guess one of those deals went sideways - sorry to hear that, Albert.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Was a different ebay user name.. Thanks for looking. This is becoming a new fad with sellers.

Albert
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Frankly, I would just neg the seller, put 1's in the DSR's and move on. This happens all of the time with nonpayment from ebay buyers, so I consider this the same thing. I don't think anyone threatens ebay buyers who don't pay with lawsuits.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Frankly, I would just neg the seller, put 1's in the DSR's and move on. This happens all of the time with nonpayment from ebay buyers, so I consider this the same thing. I don't think anyone threatens ebay buyers who don't pay with lawsuits.
can you even neg the seller?????
Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
can you even neg the seller?????
Why not? I think you can. In fact, the seller has to open an ebay case to cancel the transaction after the refund, and the buyer has to agree to the cancel transaction. Otherwise ebay will still charge the seller the full final value fee even though the buyer has been refunded.

Last edited by glchen; 06-09-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
trying to find what Albert lost out on last night
This is problematic when trying to find items that just ended as ebay now hides completed listings from search results for 24 hours after the item ends, and I think this applies when searching users' buying histories as well. If you have the item saved in your watch list or know the item number, you can still pull it up, but it won't turn up in search results for 24 hours, even if you type in the exact title.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
This is problematic when trying to find items that just ended as ebay now hides completed listings from search results for 24 hours after the item ends, and I think this applies when searching users' buying histories as well. If you have the item saved in your watch list or know the item number, you can still pull it up, but it won't turn up in search results for 24 hours, even if you type in the exact title.
This way you can tell if a board member contacted the seller within that window... wmoments after you started a thread about the good deal you just got (had)

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
This way you can tell if a board member contacted the seller with that window when you start a thread about the good deal you just got (had)
At the time I started the thread, the seller had already given me a refund. The whole purpose of the thread was to see if there was anything that could be done about a seller backing out.

In the meantime, some punk reached out to the seller and told him he sold the item for too little.

It's all fine. I don't care about the bat now for multiple reasons, and the person who contacted the seller is clearly clueless. I really just care about the person who contacted the seller, that's all at this point. That was such a crummy thing to do.

Last edited by UnVme7; 06-09-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I really just care about the person who contacted the seller, that's all at this point. That was such a crummy thing to do.

I couldnt agree more. I "lost" 3500.00 because...like an idiot I outed my winnings before they were in hand

Never again

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Alex

I'll play the legal claim game. My vote is going after the third party for intentional interference with a contract.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I really just care about the person who contacted the seller, that's all at this point. That was such a crummy thing to do.

I couldnt agree more. I "lost" 3500.00 because...like an idiot I outed my winnings before they were in hand

Never again

That was a d-bag move on the outer's part.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
And.rew C0rs0

I am still confused by this thread. You said in the first post that seller was told by someone that the item was undervalued and the seller backed out of the sale and refunded the money. Later you said the seller had a change of heart and was going to honor the sale. Then you said he backed out again because someone from this site emailed him to tell him what the item was really worth. But he already knew it was worth more from your original post? So why the outrage about the role of an anonymous person possibly from this site. After all you discussed it in an open forum, how could you not reasonably expect it to get back to the seller? I get being upset at the seller but clearly there is something I missed or something unsaid in all of this because I don't get the outrage about the anonymous emailer.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I am still confused by this thread. You said in the first post that seller was told by someone that the item was undervalued and the seller backed out of the sale and refunded the money. Later you said the seller had a change of heart and was going to honor the sale. Then you said he backed out again because someone from this site emailed him to tell him what the item was really worth. But he already knew it was worth more from your original post? So why the outrage about the role of an anonymous person possibly from this site. After all you discussed it in an open forum, how could you not reasonably expect it to get back to the seller? I get being upset at the seller but clearly there is something I missed or something unsaid in all of this because I don't get the outrage about the anonymous emailer.
How would you feel after you buy something on eBay, then a jealous low life loser emails the seller and interferes with your purchase. Which in the end means you don't get the item.

Last edited by yanks12025; 06-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
How would you feel after you buy something on eBay, that a jealous low life loser emails the seller and interferes with your purchase. Which in the end means you don't get the item.
I understand that. But he said in the original post that the seller was aware that the item was worth more because someone told him separately. So the seller was already aware.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Kev1n @1les

In summary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.6 KB, 241 views)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Brock

What I find funny is, the person who informs these sellers that these items are going way to cheap(I'm guessing this is the same forum member who screwed another forum member on a $$$ item and also tried messing up a deal of mine). They think they're doing the right thing in telling them that the price is too cheap. Yet they feel the need to hide. If you feel that it's the right thing to do, then you shouldn't be scared to tell us that it's you.

InsTead they had to have a auction house call me and threaten to ban me from GUU if I mentioned their name online(referring to early deals they interfered with!).
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Brock

Quote:
I understand that. But he said in the original post that the seller was aware that the item was worth more because someone told him separately. So the seller was already aware.
But he then told the seller that he'd go legal action. So I'm guessing it scared the seller back into doing the deal. But then the person showed him this thread and the seller probably realized that there's nothing the buyer could really do and was bluffing legal action.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:48 PM
N@te

Quote:
I can see how that is a little confusing. When he refunded me the first time, he told me he needed to refund my money because he found out that it's worth more than what it sold for. My initial thought was that someone had messaged him. So at that point, that was when I made the thread to see what type of steps I could make to try and get the bat. Then he messages me and said that he's had a change of heart and if I still want it I can have it for the original price. So I went ahead and paid for it, again.

Then last night he messages me that someone had contacted him about this thread and refunds my money, end of story.

It's really ok. Come to find out the bat had a few issues and even though I got it at a nice price, it wasn't a steal by any means like I thought in the beginning. That's why I can live without it. Like I said, I'm more annoyed at the person who messaged the seller. I'm ready to move on, I was just on fire for a few days, and rightfully so in my opinion.

I got bigger fish to fry :-)

Last edited by UnVme7; 06-09-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Got it. Makes more sense now. Seems unfortunate on the whole.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
In summary
I am shocked that this do-gooder has not yet revealed himself.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM
pete ullman

I kind of remember a thread not very long ago involving a rare back t206... Where the majority of net 54 members seemed to think it was fine for the seller to renege as their buy it now price was too low... How is this any different?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM
pete ullman

Oops

Last edited by ullmandds; 06-09-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I kind of remember a thread not very long ago involving a rare back t206... Where the majority of net 54 members seemed to think it was fine for the seller to renege as their buy it now price was too low... How is this any different?

It isn't. Then again I thought that was BS.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
J@son.K

I didn't read all these posts, but I'm sure somebody already said it: Ebay won't do jack squat! The only time they do something is when the seller doesn't send your item and you paid for it. But the seller flaking on the trade will usually result in no action because he'll just tell ebay (if they bother to even ask the seller) that he lost the item and they won't do anything about that.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default T206 lenox

This brings up the T206 Seymour Lenox situation.

After 3 weeks, multiple e-mails with no reply, and no other forms of communication the seller of the T206 Seymour Lenox refunded the money to the buyer of the card and said there was a pricing error. When asked what the correct price was the seller said he had already sold the card to the person who alerted him to the error and that the card was no longer available.

I hope it was not a Net54 member.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 06-10-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
When asked what the correct price was the seller said he had already sold the card to the person who alerted him to the error and that the card was no longer available.
This fits in the category of things the seller probably should not have said.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM
N@te

Who is EBay user--- Baseball999?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 PM
N@te

Well, Baseball999 from CT was the one that tried to get in the middle of this transaction. They're pretty quiet now for some reason........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.5 KB, 83 views)

Old 06-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Might want to pose that question on the memorabilia side...

Joshua
Old 06-28-2014, 12:58 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Might want to pose that question on the memorabilia side...

Joshua
Probably a good idea.