NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Garth Guibord

Default Tuffy Rhodes, Ichiro and the international market

I had a little time to kill yesterday and ended up watching part of a YouTube break that included a pack of 1991 Upper Deck. (That sentence seems pretty sad, now that I wrote it...)
Anyway, one card was the Gonzalez/Bagwell/Tuffy Rhodes card and it was noted what a great career Rhodes had in Japan. 464 home runs (13th all time for Nippon) and .940 OPS, all in just 13 years there (in this limited scope, those are basically the numbers that Miguel Cabrera has for his career at this point). That got me thinking a little...
I assume that American-produced baseball cards of Ichiro have the demand from Japan "baked into" the price, as I'm sure there must be collectors over there who buy them. But what about the non-Japanese players who have success in Nippon, like Tuffy Rhodes? Is there a bump in prices for their American-produced cards due to demand from abroad? The same could be asked for similar players in the Korean league, etc.
A cursory glance at eBay sales and at COMC would indicate no, at least for Tuffy, but I can't say I'd know what issues to look for that might be desirable in Japan.
Anybody else look into this with a little more depth and have any insight?

Last edited by AGuinness; 04-05-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error in title.. ugh
Old 04-06-2019, 12:09 AM
Curt

Member DaClyde has a vast Rhodes collection that goes pretty deep into his issues, including Japanese cards. He may know if there is much of a market for Rhodes, in general, especially in Japan.

Last edited by mrmopar; 04-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Sean McGinty

I live in Japan.

There are collectors here who do go after American cards of US players who came over here but since most of them for guys like Rhodes are from the junk wax era (and since the market isn't that big) I doubt it moves prices.

I just found a copy of that 91 Upper Deck card you mention for sale on Yahoo Japan Auctions (Japan's version of Ebay) with a BIN price of 300 Yen (about US $2.50) here:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j461165778

As with Ebay though BIN prices for stuff like that aren't indicative of actual market price, here is another auction for a lot of 68 MLB cards of US players who played in Japan with a 500 Yen starting bid (about US $4) and no takers:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q280075691

About 15 years ago the cards of Randy Bass from the early 80s, which are commons in the US, used to sell for a premium here, but these days that seems to have dried up. Japanese collectors are now wise to the fact that US cards from the 80s and 90s are basically worthless.

With Randy Bass, his Japanese cards from the 80s are quite valuable (the 80s in Japan was not a junk era and the Calbee sets from that decade are extremely hard to put together). For Rhodes though even his Japanese cards sell for the same price as commons despite his impressive career here (also he played here in the 2000s, which is kind of the Japanese version of the junk wax era). He played mostly for Kintetsu, which isn't a super popular team (in contrast to Bass who played for the popular Tigers and is still a legend here. Warren Cromartie played for the popular Giants and his Japanese cards also sell well).

Last edited by seanofjapan; 04-10-2019 at 12:04 AM.