NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Tony Ooten

Default Guess that grade? Jeters and ARod

Hi all,

anyone wanna take a stab at pre-grading these for me? Or give me some tips on what to look for on the foil cards with no borders?

I'm sending Bobby some cards for his bulk sub and am trying to determine value for the two 93SP's and if it's even worth it for the ARod and Pinnacle.

I never submitted before, and really never tried to pre-grade any of my cards. I read the PSA website for their criteria, but can't really see how that translates to the shiny cards other than "are the corners sharp?"

Zooming way in on my scans, it looks like the corners may be far from perfect, but I'm not really sure.

If anyone cares to offer an opinion, I'd appreciate it!

Tony

Here is a link to a google folder with the original scans. Hopefully the 93sp scans aren't too dark.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8Y?usp=sharing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2260_001.jpg (68.7 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 2261_001.jpg (70.8 KB, 298 views)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Have you looked under a loupe? Best way on these I think to assess how much white is on the corners, and edges.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Have you looked under a loupe? Best way on these I think to assess how much white is on the corners, and edges.
No loupe, but I believe I see white on some (or most) of the corners when looking at the big scans (I think).

one of the things I'm finding vague is: how much white (using that parameter as an example) knocks the grade down how many notches?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

It may help to shoot the photos against a dark background. It’s really hard to see a white corner against a white background with really small and really dark photos. It’s impossible to tell from what’s here. I would say that if you are detecting any defect at all that the SP Jeters are the only cards worth grading.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Tony Ooten

actually none of these corners look very good. so probably a waste of time to grade the pinnacle and ARod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corners.jpg (76.2 KB, 282 views)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Those are really nice close ups of the corners. I'm thinking the Jeters are around 6s with that much white.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Those are really nice close ups of the corners. I'm thinking the Jeters are around 6s with that much white.
Thanks John, not bad all things considered
Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I think on the SP's 7 to 8, foil condition being better than photo's (no scuffs or indents) and backs are decently centered, same with Pinnacle and a 7 on Arod… Worth it even of they come back lower...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
actually none of these corners look very good. so probably a waste of time to grade the pinnacle and ARod.
My thoughts as well. I am unsure the value of the A Rod card but I don't imagine it is worth anymore than the Pinnacle Jeter?

Grading fees/shipping, etc, certainly wouldn't be worth it, imo, after checking out the values on ebay for lower graded Jeters.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
My thoughts as well. I am unsure the value of the A Rod card but I don't imagine it is worth anymore than the Pinnacle Jeter?

Grading fees/shipping, etc, certainly wouldn't be worth it, imo, after checking out the values on ebay for lower graded Jeters.
According to PSA auction prices realized, the Jeter jumps from less than $100 for a PSA9 to around $500 for psa 10.

The Arod is like 3grand for a psa10. $200-$300 for psa 9, less than $100 for psa8.

I definitely wont send those two in!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
According to PSA auction prices realized, the Jeter jumps from less than $100 for a PSA9 to around $500 for psa 10.

The Arod is like 3grand for a psa10. $200-$300 for psa 9, less than $100 for psa8.

I definitely wont send those two in!
I pulled this Jeter from a pack yrs ago and thought about sending it in as my 1st submission but looking at values, if it didn't come back a 10, it certainly wouldn't be worth it due to the exchange rate, shipping, etc, being up here in Canada. (I need to rescan this card, especially the front)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (64.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (69.9 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by irv; 05-24-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Decided to rescan my Pinnacle Jeter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter Pinnacle.jpg (77.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter Pinnacle reverse.jpg (79.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

The 1993 Pinnacle Jeter. I’m looking at the back. I see a chip of white on the border below the mlbpa logo. I see white on the back corner near his glove in the photo. Not sure if that’s dust. It’s a nice card. May be a 9 and may be within parameters of a 10. It’s a risk. Also the corners are somewhat rounded but I think that’s normal for this issue. I usually send my cheap Jeter rookies in a bulk submission so it doesn’t cost so much per card. You may want to wait until someone on the board does a bulk submission so you can piggyback and not have to deal with all of the expenses for just one card.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Greg C

Grade the 3 Jeters. Hold the Arod. The Jeter foil cards are worth throwing in a
holder in any grade and the Pinnacle is nicely centered. The Arod is not
nice enough condition to justify the grading expense.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
The 1993 Pinnacle Jeter. I’m looking at the back. I see a chip of white on the border below the mlbpa logo. I see white on the back corner near his glove in the photo. Not sure if that’s dust. It’s a nice card. May be a 9 and may be within parameters of a 10. It’s a risk. Also the corners are somewhat rounded but I think that’s normal for this issue. I usually send my cheap Jeter rookies in a bulk submission so it doesn’t cost so much per card. You may want to wait until someone on the board does a bulk submission so you can piggyback and not have to deal with all of the expenses for just one card.
I assume you are talking about my card, Adam? I should have taken better care, prior to scanning, to ensure my card/sleeve/holder and my scanner screen were clean but with that being said, I really don't think this card would be worth sending in based on what I mentioned before?

I'm glad to have it so that is enough for me at this point.

I appreciate your thoughts, however.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM
Tony Ooten

In case anyone is interested, my two SP's were deemed psa6 and psa7

didn't send my Pinnacle, but may throw it in on Bobby's next low dollar sub.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Good for you.
It will be interesting to see what your Pinnacle comes back as if you decide to send it in?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Curious, did you ever send your Pinnacle in, and if so, what did it grade if you have gotten it back already?

I see these cards are getting some serious love, but it also looks like all Jeter cards are receiving huge amounts of affection.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...0AAOSwzCZdwKkT
Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Curious, did you ever send your Pinnacle in, and if so, what did it grade if you have gotten it back already?

I see these cards are getting some serious love, but it also looks like all Jeter cards are receiving huge amounts of affection.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...0AAOSwzCZdwKkT
Hey Dale,

Nope never sent it in. I ran it thru an eBay 7 day auction a week or two ago. Started at $15 I think, no bites.

tony
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Hey Dale,

Nope never sent it in. I ran it thru an eBay 7 day auction a week or two ago. Started at $15 I think, no bites.

tony
Thanks for letting me know, Tony.