NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Just curious. Any concerns about this topic?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...ase-1523990816
Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Todd Schultz

I would not expect the Court to change the law by overturning the Quill case from a quarter century ago. The justices' questions appear to show they believe that Congress should step in and address the situation if and as needed.
And we all know how quickly Congress acts
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:31 AM

I would say this case comes down to Breyer with the other justices split evenly. I have to admit I love the quotes from Alito in his line of questioning.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Todd Schultz

I doubt it will be that close.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I doubt it will be that close.
Todd,

I hope you're right, but if you're wrong, it would be very messy/interesting.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Todd Schultz

I have seen the reporting that it will be close, but it really is a matter for Congress. If Quill is overturned, I would expect all hell to break loose, and Congress may be forced to act. Which might be the aim, although those who decry judicial activism would have some grounds to complain.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-20-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All the angst is over nothing: even if e-tailers are required to collect sales tax on everything the net effect is ZERO. None of these purchases are tax-free under current law. If your state has a sales tax it has an analogous use tax you are supposed to pay for the stuff that you import for your use in-state without paying a sales tax. All the precedent allows for with interstate sales is for the retailers to devolve the duty to collect and remit the tax to the customers. Before the internet and e-filed taxes, it was a miserable chore to track sales in 50 jurisdictions (and the many special tax zones in each state) and do hard copy returns and remit. Now, with most of the states allowing for online remittance and filing, and with sophisticated accounting software that allows easy tracking of sales by jurisdiction, it is much easier for a retailer to remit in multiple states, and there is a movement afoot to re-involve the retailers in collecting and remitting sales tax instead of hoping that the buyers will track and remit. The only people hurt by this will be the scofflaws who don't pay their taxes now. Frankly, I would prefer it if I could just pay the tax on everything directly with the purchase and not have to try and track stuff and remit annually with my resale permit return. It is a real PITA and I am sure I make errors that would not be made if I just had to pay everything at the point of sale.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
All the angst is over nothing: even if e-tailers are required to collect sales tax on everything the net effect is ZERO. None of these purchases are tax-free under current law. If your state has a sales tax it has an analogous use tax you are supposed to pay for the stuff that you import for your use in-state without paying a sales tax. All the precedent allows for with interstate sales is for the retailers to devolve the duty to collect and remit the tax to the customers. Before the internet and e-filed taxes, it was a miserable chore to track sales in 50 jurisdictions (and the many special tax zones in each state) and do hard copy returns and remit. Now, with most of the states allowing for online remittance and filing, and with sophisticated accounting software that allows easy tracking of sales by jurisdiction, it is much easier for a retailer to remit in multiple states, and there is a movement afoot to re-involve the retailers in collecting and remitting sales tax instead of hoping that the buyers will track and remit. The only people hurt by this will be the scofflaws who don't pay their taxes now.
Adam,

Thank you. Still, even with the software, that is a mess in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah it is a mess. All taxes are a mess. But the retailers already sit in the mess with their sales tax returns, so the infrastructure is already there. trying to get customers to track and remit use tax is a losing battle; it is just too hard to keep track of it all. I barely manage, and I have to file a sales tax return anyway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-20-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Todd Schultz

I disagree. Whatever the effect is supposed to be under current law, it will cause chaos to put this onus on internet sellers--at least the small to medium ones. You will not be able to simply buy a $50 software package that neatly calculates all applicable sales taxes, which I assume would or could be not only state but county and/or municipal sales tax. As pointed out in oral argument, some goods sold may be subject to different tax or no tax depending upon their classification, which might be subject to interpretation. Jurisdictions can pass special tax laws at all different times, meaning the software would need to be able to track changes nearly on the fly. Sellers in theory could also be subject to audit and the jurisdiction of far away authorities who believe they are being shorted.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-20-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I disagree. Whatever the effect is supposed to be under current law, it will cause chaos to put this onus on internet sellers--at least the small to medium ones. You will not be able to simply buy a $50 software package that neatly calculates all applicable sales taxes, which I assume would or could be not only state but county and/or municipal sales tax. As pointed out in oral argument, some goods sold may be subject to different tax or no tax depending upon their classification, which might be subject to interpretation. Jurisdictions can pass special tax laws at all different times, meaning the software would need to be able to track changes nearly on the fly. Sellers in theory could also be subject to audit and the jurisdiction of far away authorities who believe they are being shorted.
And the small retailers (say one in PA) really have no voice in state taxes imposed in other states (say one in OR), along with the morass you've brought up. That, of course, doesn't mean it won't be done.

"In Minnesota, blankets are taxable, but baby receiving blankets are not taxable. In Texas, deodorant is taxable, but deodorant that has an antiperspirant is not."
Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Rob G.

Please forgive my ignorance, but when I buy $100 worth of baseball cards (lets say its from an auction house), I don't have to pay sales tax right? But when I sell it 10 years from now for $150, I have to pay capital gains taxes on the $50 profit? That sound about right or am I way off?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Al Richter

Oh oh Rob, are you a use tax scofflaw ? :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-20-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Oh oh Rob, are you a use tax scofflaw ? :-)
Its sounding like it!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
And the small retailers (say one in PA) really have no voice in state taxes imposed in other states (say one in OR), along with the morass you've brought up. That, of course, doesn't mean it won't be done.

"In Minnesota, blankets are taxable, but baby receiving blankets are not taxable. In Texas, deodorant is taxable, but deodorant that has an antiperspirant is not."
And for a while MASS had a once a year "Sales tax holiday" to encourage spending to help the economy.

So if I bought something online, would it be tax free if I ordered it on that day? Or would I have to order it earlier and hope for delivery on that day?

As I understand it, the transaction isn't complete until the item is delivered right?
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Amazon and Ebay users charge tax on a lot of stuff. It seems every order from Amazon is taxed already. As Adam said it is already the law to report sales regardless of venue where bought.