NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Default Scrub needing advice on a collection acquired.

I apologize in advance, if I seem like a scrub. I haven't collected in years but have grown to want and learn more.

This weekend, the wife and I went to a known garage location that vendors sell all their crap. This one seller seemed to want to get rid of everything and stop the hobby all together, so I took advantage. The list below is by far the best cards I've ever seen card wise / look and feel.

1992 Topps Gold - Set Complete. Paid 10
1990 Leaf - Set Complete. Paid 10
1983 Donruss - Set complete. Paid 10 - growing trend?
1984 Topps - Set Complete
1988 Topps Football Set - Complete
1989 Bowman - Set Complete
1989 Upper Deck - Set Complete - Griffey standing nice and proud (off center but still gorgeous)

Also I bought a set of binders, four of them ranging from multiples to singles and sets in them. All below 1990s. One of the biggest pulls was the 1993 Jeter Gold rookie. I only paid 10 bucks for all the binders.

I have more, I just havent gone through it all. All in all I spent 290 bucks including the separate singles I rifled through. A pile of Yaz 60-70 cards - all looking gorgeous. Basically sat in a box for 40 years. Every card looks crisp, no broken corners that I can see.

My question is, should everything of value be graded?

Edit: This gentleman that I met earlier in the day asked if I wanted to see his personal collection. I very much wanted to see everything he owned and was overwhelmed when he said I could have everything 1984-1992. All major brands, all sets completed (not in factory sets, just complete). He offered everything free. I would say close to 500k cards.

Thanks in advance! Thanks for adding me!

Last edited by amullins; 11-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Why do you include 'older' gentleman...
Old 11-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Good question, I'll edit it.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Because he was "older" than the OP. Jake are you at that age that being called older offends you? Don't worry when you get even older it quits bothering most people. I quit getting offended years ago.

To the OP, I doubt there would be more than a few cards that grading would help. I have a whole room full of that stuff, it is super cool to look at but has very little monetary value.

Welcome back to the hobby and have fun.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Because he was "older" than the OP. Jake are you at that age that being called older offends you? Don't worry when you get even older it quits bothering most people. I quit getting offended years ago.

To the OP, I doubt there would be more than a few cards that grading would help. I have a whole room full of that stuff, it is super cool to look at but has very little monetary value.

Welcome back to the hobby and have fun.
well he changed and deleted 'older' because he agrees with me and not you lol

I just see buyers who buy collections from someone's personal collection or sellers on ebay etc say they bought it from an uncle's attic or an old guy sold them a signed ruth. We all know the age doesnt matter on authenticity or value of the product. I would also think cards in the 1980s or 1990s, the seller being 'older' wouldnt matter as well.

If someone had a ticket to a game from 1944 and claims he was there in attendance and is selling the ticket, then being 'older' may mean something though...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The ones from those years that would be worth grading are normally the Hall of Fame rookie cards (plus a couple of extras) like Mattingly. Expect that if they look perfect to you, they might grade anywhere from PSA 7-10. Most modern cards are only worth grading if they attain a grade of PSA 10. Centering is an issue, so is scratching, so is foil and holograms. Corners are not the only factor. PSA has a page on their website where you can learn about what defects reduce the grade of a card.
Feel free to scan some in (like the 1983 RCs of Boggs, Gwynn, and Sandberg) and we can tell you if it makes monetary sense to pay for grading.

Look through the sets for some of the valuable errors/variations (1990 Frank Thomas no name on front, 1991 Topps Oil Can Boyd full ribbon, etc). $10 was a heck of a deal for a complete 1992 Topps Gold set.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Garth Guibord

COMC is a useful resource to find what few cards might have a little bit of value to take advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The ones from those years that would be worth grading are normally the Hall of Fame rookie cards (plus a couple of extras) like Mattingly. Expect that if they look perfect to you, they might grade anywhere from PSA 7-10. Most modern cards are only worth grading if they attain a grade of PSA 10. Centering is an issue, so is scratching, so is foil and holograms. Corners are not the only factor. PSA has a page on their website where you can learn about what defects reduce the grade of a card.
Feel free to scan some in (like the 1983 RCs of Boggs, Gwynn, and Sandberg) and we can tell you if it makes monetary sense to pay for grading.

Look through the sets for some of the valuable errors/variations (1990 Frank Thomas no name on front, 1991 Topps Oil Can Boyd full ribbon, etc). $10 was a heck of a deal for a complete 1992 Topps Gold set.
I'll see what I can do about scanning them in or a photo app to network share. Google drive for instance. Every card is pristine in my opinion. So hard to distinquish if not.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullins View Post
I'll see what I can do about scanning them in or a photo app to network share. Google drive for instance. Every card is pristine in my opinion. So hard to distinquish if not.
Here is an example using the 1983 Wade Boggs cards.

Topps are $500-$600 each graded PSA 10
Fleer & Donruss are $60-$80 each graded PSA 10
Fleer & Donruss & Topps are $10-$12 each graded PSA 9
ALL can be picked up ungraded for $3-$5 each in very nice condition.

So even a rookie card of the great Mr Wade Boggs is a money loss just on grading fees unless it gets a "10".
Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Here is an example using the 1983 Wade Boggs cards.

Topps are $500-$600 each graded PSA 10
Fleer & Donruss are $60-$80 each graded PSA 10
Fleer & Donruss & Topps are $10-$12 each graded PSA 9
ALL can be picked up ungraded for $3-$5 each in very nice condition.

So even a rookie card of the great Mr Wade Boggs is a money loss just on grading fees unless it gets a "10".
Here’s what I gave thus far.. I have way more but it’s been quite a pain going through

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jxub86iFz5A5vf
Old 11-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Here’s what I gave thus far.. I have way more but it’s been quite a pain going through

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jxub86iFz5A5vf
You can post them directly on here very easily. Click on the little paper clip and download them from your computer. I believe the biggest they can be is around 1.2MB or you will get a error code.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Or you can get the links (URLs) to the photos and use the yellow mountain picture box to paste the link and have them embedded in your post. The cards are pretty nice. 1984 Topps Mattingly off-centered with a nick on the back. Best it could get is an 8, IMO.
The 1984 Ripken and Gwynn aren't worth grading, probably worth a dollar or less as they are. The 1961 Yaz looks nice. It's the start of a really nice collection for you.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 PM
psu

Quote:
I apologize in advance, if I seem like a scrub. I haven't collected in years but have grown to want and learn more.

This weekend, the wife and I went to a known garage location that vendors sell all their crap. This one seller seemed to want to get rid of everything and stop the hobby all together, so I took advantage. The list below is by far the best cards I've ever seen card wise / look and feel.

1992 Topps Gold - Set Complete. Paid 10
1990 Leaf - Set Complete. Paid 10
1983 Donruss - Set complete. Paid 10 - growing trend?
1984 Topps - Set Complete
1988 Topps Football Set - Complete
1989 Bowman - Set Complete
1989 Upper Deck - Set Complete - Griffey standing nice and proud (off center but still gorgeous)

Also I bought a set of binders, four of them ranging from multiples to singles and sets in them. All below 1990s. One of the biggest pulls was the 1993 Jeter Gold rookie. I only paid 10 bucks for all the binders.

I have more, I just havent gone through it all. All in all I spent 290 bucks including the separate singles I rifled through. A pile of Yaz 60-70 cards - all looking gorgeous. Basically sat in a box for 40 years. Every card looks crisp, no broken corners that I can see.

My question is, should everything of value be graded?

Edit: This gentleman that I met earlier in the day asked if I wanted to see his personal collection. I very much wanted to see everything he owned and was overwhelmed when he said I could have everything 1984-1992. All major brands, all sets completed (not in factory sets, just complete). He offered everything free. I would say close to 500k cards.

Thanks in advance! Thanks for adding me!

lmk wanna get rid of the jeter gold
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu View Post
lmk wanna get rid of the jeter gold
It’s ungraded.. I want to get it graded most likely, it looks slick.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Ben North

Quote:
It’s ungraded.. I want to get it graded most likely, it looks slick.
I would highly recommend picking out your 10 nicest cards and sending them in for grading. It will give you an idea of what really is a "slick" card. Unless you understand grading really well most people think cards that really grade a 6 or 7 are perfect.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I would highly recommend picking out your 10 nicest cards and sending them in for grading. It will give you an idea of what really is a "slick" card. Unless you understand grading really well most people think cards that really grade a 6 or 7 are perfect.
I was speaking to a card dealer today and he said "I'll never send cards into PSA anymore after touring the facillity". I asked him why and he was upset to tell me how the employees were only given an alotted amount of time to look at each card, a quota so to speak. Only allowed a certain amount of time to means they aren't taking their time grading our expensive products. Now I took that with a grain of salt.

Is their a bulk grading within forums?
Old 11-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I was speaking to a card dealer today and he said "I'll never send cards into PSA anymore after touring the facillity". I asked him why and he was upset to tell me how the employees were only given an alotted amount of time to look at each card, a quota so to speak. Only allowed a certain amount of time to means they aren't taking their time grading our expensive products. Now I took that with a grain of salt.

PSA grading is a BLEEPING joke at best and always has been. Thing is a lot of very BLEEP people pay silly cash for their plastic slabs.

Every once in a while there is a group submission on this forum. Prepare for it to take MONTHS to get your cards back.

I would recommend sending what you believe to be your 10 nicest cards in yourself. It is a learning experience worth every cent. Even better ask the dealer what he would actually pay you for the cards you just bough.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:

I'm not saying that person is or is not full of crap, but I would be leaning on the side of "full of crap". PSA does not give tours of their facility or grading rooms. Them not being able to spend a lot of time on any one given card...of course is true. How could you go thru the millions of cards they do each year spending 10 minutes on each card? But there's plenty of other threads about their grading or lack there of.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Shane

I would definitely send in that Gold Jeter.