NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Default 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt

I read somewhere on-line that the reason Upper Deck pulled #702 in 1990 was that the photo on the reverse showed Mr. Witt with his pants undone and possibly something more, um, suggestive (it would explain why known copies weren't merely pulled, but were tarred with that black box).

Any truth to this? Also, were any actually issued in packs?
Old 11-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Tim

Default Mike Witt 1990 UD #702

https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/20...02-discovered/
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Dylan

100% can confirm they were issued in packs.

The question is whether or not they were ever issued in Hi # factory sets.

But as stated in the link to my blog, an 800ct factory set box full of them was discovered a few years back, which likely represents a portion of the print run pulled from cut sheets before pack out. At best, a $25-40 card now.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Curt

Just reread the thread. Old Gilbert just disappeared after that. Wonder what he did, if anything, with the rest of the stash. He was pretty adamant about getting them into people's hands, "but not for free lol".

I suppose even with the knowledge of another 7-800 out there, if they disappear from sight and mind for several years, that might help hold the value.

I personally never cared enough about errors to chase them and this is one card I would have tried to sell for as much as I could if I ended up with one (or more).
Old 11-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Just reread the thread. Old Gilbert just disappeared after that. Wonder what he did, if anything, with the rest of the stash. He was pretty adamant about getting them into people's hands, "but not for free lol".

I suppose even with the knowledge of another 7-800 out there, if they disappear from sight and mind for several years, that might help hold the value.

I personally never cared enough about errors to chase them and this is one card I would have tried to sell for as much as I could if I ended up with one (or more).
He has never stopped listing them. When you see $35-50 BINs in completed listings, they’re his. Same for the glut of PSA 9 and 10s sold the last few years.

When this info came about, I was put in contact with him and I explained that if he were smart, he’d be very patient with them. But he had been told by others that they would be worth $400 a piece so he started listing immediately. I believe a while back he even listed lots of 5, 10 at a time. I spent a good amount of time trying to help him understand this card and what his find meant for its value but he wasn’t particularly interested in anything other than it being 800 $400 cards in his hands.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:34 PM

mike witt black box, back from the dead. i just got one of these cards.

pretty cool background on all of this, figured i'd bump this thread rather than making a new one.

edit: my apologies, didn't intend to offend people by noting that i would offer the card for sale/trade.
i generally live my life trying to appease others/avoid friction.

Last edited by hockeyhockey; 09-11-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
mike witt black box, back from the dead. i have one of these cards available if anyone happens to be interested. open to trading it, selling it, whatever. it's in nice condition.

pretty cool background on all of this, figured i'd bump this thread rather than making a new one.
That's what the Buy/Sell/Trade board is for. Bump is fine, no reason to try to sell your card here.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
That's what the Buy/Sell/Trade board is for. Bump is fine, no reason to try to sell your card here.
my apologies, sir. didn't mean to upset the apple cart. was really just mentioning that i found one.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:48 AM
Larry Grigsby

Wasn't Mike Witt, along with several other Angels players, an original business investor with Upper Deck?

Old 09-12-2023, 12:07 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

DeWayne Buice and Wally Joyner were the Promo card examples. And they were both investors.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-12-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 01:38 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigsby View Post
Wasn't Mike Witt, along with several other Angels players, an original business investor with Upper Deck?

No, at least not according to Card Sharks.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:25 PM

The story goes that Buice stopped into a LCS to get directions to a Chinese restaurant or something and struck up a conversation with the owner - the name of the LCS was The Upper Deck. Apparently that got Buice's wheels spinning and the rest was history. Or, at least that's what I read.