NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Default Private auctions question

Posted By: David 

During a private eBay auction, can the seller see the bidders' identities? If not, how does it work?

This is a matter of curiosity, as I've never run or bid in a private auction on eBay.

Old 08-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Yes

Old 08-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Only The Seller can see the bidders identities, David.

The advantage here is that the Seller can sell fake garabge on eBay and many unsuspecting bidders will fall into it. An onlooker will not be able to warn them by contacting them and telling them the truth about the cardboard being sold (or whatever medium the garbage is made of).

For the Seller, a Private Auction can be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

..you to step in and criminally tamper with ANY and ALL Private auctions, or just MY auctions?

Old 08-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Someone needs to get inside your head and help you out. How do you come about drawing the conclusions that you do?

After reading what you just posted above, I finally know that your rantings are factless and without merit. I don't go anywhere near your auctions unless someone mentions one of them here. Then, I merely go look at it (and usually laugh). I would NEVER bid on one.

I hope you named ME in your mystery lawsuit...that will be a hoot. I have not done anything to any of your auctions, other than question the value and authenticity of some of the things in PRO Holders, which I do here at Network 54...and, I will question ANYONE (not just you) that auctions "crap" yet labels it "silk".

You just posted above, directly alluding to ME "tampering with your auctions now or in the future" and that is utterly ridiculous. I don't touch private auctions because, more often than not, they are shills.

Your random accusations and threats toward people in this forum is boundless and random, dude. Get a grip.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

1. a seller in a private auction could see the identity of his bidders, including those who he believes wrongfully tampered with his auction;
2. he could either recognize the bidders' names as people with whom he has dealt before, or use his status as powerseller to invoke Ebay's help in further identifying them;
3. he would then by reverse implication know who did not engage in the so-called tampering; SO THAT
If he intentionally and falsely accused someone of tampering who he knew did not engage in such conduct and similarly accused them of engaging in criminal activity, he would (in at least Arizona and probably in all common-law states)be potentially liable for slander per se.
Just the musings of a private citizen bored and too broke to go to the National, and who was not depressed about that until Julie brought it up in another post.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

Private auctions make it difficult to spot tampering and difficult to warn bidders.

Warning bidders, however, is a violation of eBay's rules.

If you warn a bidder, and they forward your mail to the seller asking for comment, the seller could forward that to Safe Harbor, at which point you may be toast.

I've watched for a long time as people talk about warning bidders off of auctions. Almost all the time, there is good reason to do this, but there have been a few times when I've thought the person essentially warned someone not to have poor taste, or got the facts wrong and warned someone off a good auction.

So many people hate Dr. Koos that I expect that someone would warn people off of his auctions no matter what he tried to auction.

Charles, how many emails did you get about Dr. Koos?

bruce

Old 08-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Administrator

When I contact bidders in an auction, i usually do it in an "informative" manner...

I'll say things like: "hey, it looks like a lot of people are talking about this item in this auction as being a FAKE. You may want to take a look here at this link and see what you think... Just a friendly heads-up!"

I'm not telling them what to do, I'm just passing on information. I'm not even interfering with an auction. Passing on public information can't be a violation... At least, for me, it hasn't been yet.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...and The Gold Power Seller Investigative team can see it as well and their name for it is an "Auction interference incident". You only ASSUMED they couldn't see it because you can't. Nothing to worry about though, after all, as you said earlier, Ebay does NOTHING with complaints and rule breakers in general. Tamper away!

Old 08-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

whole thread could disappear at any time, so make a copy if you care. I won't be.