NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default A question for card soaker

Have any of you card soakers soaked tickets? I have two 1925 Detroit Baseball tickets with paper on the back. Can the paper be soaked off like you do with cards. Thanks for any help. D.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Frank Wakefield

Can you post a scan of the front and backs of the tickets?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I just soaked 18 1920's & 1930's ticket stubs that were glued to cardboard and into a scrapbook. They all soaked off fine. I used boiling hot water and fully immersed the ticket and paper in a bowl. I left them in for about 3 or 4 minutes. After the paper soaked off I put them between paper towels and put a heavy book on them. I changed the paper towels 3 or 4 times and after 2 or 3 days they dried out and look fine. Thanks to Scott from this board for the help.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

I would not using hot water, some inks or colored paper will run. Room temp water is fine, it may take a few more minutes but will not cause these potential problems. Think of it as doing laundry.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 AM
pete ullman

Agreed...I've never heard of using hot water...definitely room temp?!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Frank Wakefield

+1 to what Scott and the good Dr said.

I almost always use room temperature water. If there's some ink (usually red) that's on there that I suspect is water soluble and might bleed, then I use cold water. I've used warm water a few times, while rinsing a card under the tap. Hot could be used, I reckon, but I'd not start with hot.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM
$cotty @.utin

I think hot water is the way to go with tickets. Early tickets are often constructed like bank notes by pressing multiple sheets together. If they soak too long, then the ticket themselves will start to separate. Baseball tickets may be a little different, since the early once weren't that intricate or ornate (as compared to college football tickets). Also, these tickets were not colored like baseball cards.

I was lucky enough to work with Jeff on his scrapbook find and the hot water worked MUCH better than the room temp water and none of the color ran. Im going to pass along the thanks to board member KJJAVIC for the soaking lessons.

One thing for sure is to test it out on something else on the sheet first. If all you have is the tickets with paper on the back, then test it on the less condition ticket first.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
$cotty @.utin

I should clarify that KJJAVIC's advice to me was warm water.

I used warm water when I soak out tickets with amazing results. I even soaked out a christmas card with writing on the back (where the glue was). It soaked out just fine and the writing was still completely legible. It was originally sent to the scrapbook owner in 1942 after they attended a Yale football game together. I mailed the card and the Yale ticket stub to the original writer's son without visible evidence it was ever glued into a scrapbook.

Jeff and I used hot water with just as nice results.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football

Last edited by smotan_02; 05-23-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 AM

regular tap water cold is what to use. Tickets soak just as well as cards. Just remember to roll the creases out.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default 1st Time

I also did not mention that I soaked off about 15 other single page and multiple page programs that were on thinner cardboard and regular paper. This was also successful. I am only speaking from this experience, but the only problems I had were when the water was not hot enough, the pages tore when being separated from the scrapbook. When left in long enough, I almost didn't have to do anything, they separated without any help from me. Just my 2¢. I agree with Scotty, practice on something that is not valuable first.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Sorry for the delay. Been with the Grandkids and haven't had time to get on line Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Frank Wakefield

I'd soak one of them in room temperature water for about 30 minutes, then gently touch / rub the paper to see if it's loosening. If the ticket seems to be separating into layers I'd keep the soaking to a short period of time, ie not overnight. If the paper on the back isn't loosening at all from the stub, then you may have a nonpolar glue that isn't going to be water soluble. I think it will soak fine for half an hour or so. Still, I'd do one, not both at the same time. And if Dan's not using his spoon, maybe he'll loan it to you to smooth the stubs out as they dry.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.