NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Ever since I bought that first Bartholomew peanut roaster I own (8 or 10 years ago now), I've been scouring ebay, paper and advertising shows, flea markets, estate sales, etc., looking for a Bartholomew Company catalog. Found handouts, sales receipts, advertising envelopes, salesman sample cabinet photos of the roasters, but NEVER a company catalog. Last week on ebay, my prayers were answered. I put a $50 bid in the first day it was on (I got emailed by ebay because it has been in my automatic searches for years) and it immediately hit reserve at $49.99. It stayed idle all week until one other bidder beat me on the last day, and with about 1 hour left, someone beat him. The sweat beads started forming on the forehead, a sinking feeling started welling up in my stomach, and I immediately put a $529 bid in my sniping software and went to bed (yes I slept). They didn't know who they were playing with on this one, I was a happy boy at $127.50 and would have been just as happy at $500. Keith

Old 08-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

Bidding psychology is always interesting. If the two other guys had both sniped, you probably wouldn't have won the item.

If you had sniped initially, it's possible that you would have won the item for the opening bid, since it's possible that the other two guys wouldn't have noticed the item.

Your snipe service bid of $529 was totally the way to go.

bruce

Old 08-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: jay behrens

I've tried going the route of noting bidding until closing but there are several problems with that. First, eBay only lets you 'watch' 30 items. Second, I forget about an item and then it closes without me ever bidding.

The one thing I learned from my days of buying up Banana Splits memorabilia from several other collectors is that because I was such active buyer and willing to pay decent prices, that just the mere presence of my name on the bid list would scare them away becuase they knew they had no chance of winning the item.

Jay

Old 08-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: David Vargha

But now I log it on a sniping service and keep that as my watch list. I can always update the bids if I need to.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

I can think of a few guys who made me think like this, but I don't think it's a good long-term strategy. It only works after you've won a few things for 3x SMR, if then.

If you douse yourself with gasoline and set yourself on fire a few times, people tend to stay away from you, but I wouldn't recommend this from a health standpoint.

bruce

Old 08-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I can't be there, and then, if nobody can snipe for me, I kiss it goodbye. Sniping service? We going to hire "enjoyment service" to appreciatye the cards we win?

Old 08-07-2002, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

It's just an automated thing that puts a proxy bid in for you at the time you choose.

Your post raises an interesting questions about how much effort must be put into the chase in order for a set to really be "yours".

There are people who sell complete sets, but I don't buy these, since I feel that set collecting means buying singles or lots.

But really, buying on eBay is so convenient that perhaps some would say that it's not really collecting. You can put an entire set together without ever driving to a show, trying to find what you want in a big box full of cards, haggling over a price, or even talking to anyone.

bruce

Old 08-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: john(z28jd)

what does sniping and enjoying a card have to do with each other? Are you saying if you dont snipe a card yourself you dont enjoy it?
If thats the case i can help you out,tell me everything you plan on sniping and how much you are planning on spending and i will bid a penny less,then you will have the time of your life winning something by one cent at the last second everytime.
Geez,id rather have the card then worrying about if i bid on it myself which you really do anyway with the service because they dont just pick people at random and say,i bet this person would like this auction and snipe for you.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default going to the mat

Posted By: warshawlaw

I was a "sniper-objector" before, but I finally got tired of chasing a card into the last seconds only to see a sniper outbid me, having the computer freeze, etc. I use a service now. It saves me a ton of trouble. And, take it from me, I am just as happy to win a card with a snipe bid as I am with a bid made manually.

I agree that it is great fun to go digging (wish I was at the national--geez I wish I was there, but no $$) but that experience has no relationship to ebay. The better analogy is an auction (albeit a slightly crooked one). You don't exactly get the fun of the find there, either.