NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Default Am I obsessed or have any of you............

Posted By: Brian C Daniels 

Ever watched an auction end and then actually sniffled from great disappointment that you were sniped?? Now, Friggin T-Bob has written me letters ( just to vent ) post auction end describing the angry version of how I feel..swirling curse words like Picasso swirled paint on canvas but tonight I actually wanted to cry! I waited about 15 years for something to appear,ANYWHERE I could find it for ANY price and it did and it went cheap and I already know the buyer is not going to sell it to me for any price because he does not need to and is that kind of guy who has to have all of them. Has anyone else ever felt this way??? I guess to my surprise I once also founfd my childhood teddy bear of sorts! A book by the Scholastic book company from 1970 called " How To Care For Your Monster" and when I wrote the seller and told her how excited I was she sent me the book for free and told me my letter made her cry. My deceased sister had purchased it for me for my 11th birthday and I lost the copy I had and explained this to the seller.It somehow made her day! But at last,tonight..the opposite effect.I'm still in a shock. Does this sensation prove to us how much we love collecting or is ther soemthing I am missing here?

Old 08-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

not to be mean, but if it went cheap, why didn't you bid higher? Items like that have shown up on eBay before for me and I don't screw around. My final bid is what I am willing to pay, and then some, just make sure someone else didn't want it more. Rare items like that are no time to try and get something cheap. Place a high enough bid so that if you do get outbid, you don't feel the way you are feeling right now.

Jay

Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

I'm generally good about reminding myself about when auctions are going to end, etc. but sometimes I forget and once or twice it's been one of those items I think I'll never see again.

One thing to consider is signing up for some sniping software- and put in an extremely high bid for those things you rarely see. Then even if you forget, the software will snipe for you.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

it was at $4300.00 and I had a $5600.00 bid on it, went out to try to fix the broken garage door spring and when I came back in I popped another $1500 which I tohught would secure it although the item is probably worth 12k. I figured $7100.00 would secure it with 12 minutes left and a high bid of $4300.00 paintings are not quite like cards.The stuff in this range does not get sniped as much because the "players" are even less than you guys on here. Everyone knows everyone and because paintings are one of a kind.there is no way to hide by having your friend buy it kind of games. I knew who was in,who was bookmarking it and the usual patterns for the usual suspects.This one was a surprise but I understand that is the nature of auctions and part of the thrill.I'm probably going to offer the winner $500 profit and put it to rest!

Old 08-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

then you should have had a pretty good idea that someone would come along and bid more than your max for it.

I've had a few situations of "must have" items come up and I've put in humungous, crazy-high max bids with a sniping service to secure them (the sniper is a good idea to avoid being shilled on it). If you think the item is cheaper than it is "worth" and you are dying for it, why be surprised that it goes for more than your bid and why lose out? Heck, I ran waaay over budget on a T224/T229 Pet Cigarettes card of Joe Choynski because I wanted his card most of all from the set. I got it for half of my max bid and was still over $500 on it. Something as special as what you are describing calls for you to go to the mat for it.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Brian, that is why you HAVE to snipe. I don't know how many times I had a limit in mind on a card and the price went higher, then my limit went higher. If you would have done your work, then made sure you were at the auction at closing time, then bid your max at 20 seconds left, you might have blown the other guy's bid away.

I truly am sorry you lost out on a big item for you. Try sniping, yourself, next time. You may get the card that you want and get a good feeling from taking it away from another guy.

Cy

Old 08-06-2002, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

This is the way to do it. Bidding early exposes you to shills and nibblers. Bid once, bid late, have a beer.

bruce