NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Leon,

I totally agree with this guy. Why doesn't Sliphorn have his name in his post?

And are you really going to allow posting the names of other members wives? Is that how far we've come? I assume other family members are fair game too?

WOW!
WOW right back at you.,

Matthew got sent his full name as I stated. His wife, or whomever that is, has been or has had their name used in the escapades as part of the business. That is why that is still there. Generally speaking family members privacy is very protected on this forum as it should be. IF you don't like this situation....sorry.

Also, if a member demands something and acts crazily doing it, then there is a real good chance he won't get his way...rule or no rule.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
WOW right back at you.,

Matthew got sent his full name as I stated. His wife, or whomever that is, has been or has had their name used in the escapades as part of the business. That is why that is still there. IF you don't like it....sorry.
So what if she's part of the business? Are they doing something illegal or unethical? Did I miss something? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm curious, did I really miss something? Besides, even if he is, that doesn't mean she knows about it. But it's your board, your call.

And as far as sending him Sliphorn's name, that's not what your rules state. They state if you give an opinion of a person or company, your full name needs to be in your post. Sliphorn gave an opinion. He stated, "obviously using her name to hide from identity." That is an opinion. But, again, your board, your call.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Brendan Mullen

Does Vintagetoppsguy = RealToppsaholic??
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Does Vintagetoppsguy = RealToppsaholic??
Not even close.

It's just that this thread has been a real eye opener for me. I've learned 3 things: Despite the rules, (1) it's obviously OK to post PMs, (2) you really don't have to have your name in your post when giving an opinion of someone else and (3) it's OK to post the names of members family members.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Not even close.

It's just that this thread has been a real eye opener for me. I've learned 3 things: Despite the rules, (1) it's obviously OK to post PMs, (2) you really don't have to have your name in your post when giving an opinion of someone else and (3) it's OK to post the names of members family members.
You apparently were in the wrong class.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So what if she's part of the business? Are they doing something illegal or unethical? Did I miss something? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm curious, did I really miss something? Besides, even if he is, that doesn't mean she knows about it. But it's your board, your call.

And as far as sending him Sliphorn's name, that's not what your rules state. They state if you give an opinion of a person or company, your full name needs to be in your post. Sliphorn gave an opinion. He stated, "obviously using her name to hide from identity." That is an opinion. But, again, your board, your call.
So what if she is part of the business? Because of that, to me, she is in the same realm of being discussed as any other collector/dealer etc...not a regular, out of the hobby, family member. I don't see any rule that says someone has to do something wrong or unethical to be discussed. She was discussed on this board before, if I am not mistaking?

And you are absolutely right about Sliphorn. And in almost every instance I would have mandated his full name being out there or he would have had to edit his post out. However, as I stated, if someone acts crazy as Matthew did then all bets off.

And It really never goes well when someone debates rules with the person that wrote them. I think you missed this part, under the heading what you may not post about. It's been there as long as the other part you rattled off..

**Since there are an unlimited amount of unforeseeable issues that can arise on the board, the moderator may make any decision he feels is in the best interest of Net54baseball, regardless of any written or oral rules.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:

She was also posting on this forum using the realtoppsaholic account. I also received PMs with 3 different names from that account.

Now to get back to the original question, have we ever figured out if this Ben person is real?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And you are absolutely right about Sliphorn. And in almost every instance I would have mandated his full name being out there or he would have to edit his post out. However, as I stated, if someone acts crazy as Matthew did then all bets off.
If someone posted my wife's name on a public message board, I would act crazy too. Maybe I have the sequence of events out of order? But from what I see, Sliphorn resurrected a thread from a month and a half ago for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Was there some previous bickering between toppsaholic and Sliphorn that I missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
She was also posting on this forum using the realtoppsaholic account.
If that's true, then I think it's fair that her name be posted...but I think it has to be absolutely certain that it was her.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If someone posted my wife's name on a public message board, I would act crazy too. Maybe I have the sequence of events out of order? But from what I see, Sliphorn resurrected a thread from a month and a half ago for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Was there some previous bickering between toppsaholic and Sliphorn that I missed?

If that's true, then I think it's fair that her name be posted...but I think it has to be absolutely certain that it was her.
Yes, I think there was a bad deal between the two recently, that is my take on it. And from a 3rd party board member, Matthew might have been the issue. You have every right to your opinion just like any other member. I don't see anything I did which I would change. You are safe as long as your family isn't part of your business. That said, I don't think that merely mentioning a family members name is the worst thing in the world. It shouldn't be done but it's not in the top million things I don't want. And I will generally edit their name out too. In the last 15 yrs I don't recall anyone's family member being allowed to be spoken about unless there was an extraordinary situation such as this. I don't see anything that has been said about her that has been disrespectful either.
BTW, Matthew acted crazy before I had a chance to address Sliphorn's name issue. After he went crazy I changed my mind on posting it...but still sent his name to Matthew. Everyone should be able to know who is saying stuff in their direction.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I think there was a bad deal between the two recently, that is my take on it. And from a 3rd party board member, Matthew might have been the issue. You have every right to your opinion just like any other member. I don't see anything I did which I would change. You are safe as long as your family isn't part of your business. That said, I don't think that merely mentioning a family members name is the worst thing in the world. It shouldn't be done but it's not in the top million things I don't want. And I will generally edit their name out too. In the last 15 yrs I don't recall anyone's family member being allowed to be spoken about unless there was an extraordinary situation such as this. I don't see anything that has been said about her that has been disrespectful either.
BTW, Matthew acted crazy before I had a chance to address Sliphorn's name issue. After he went crazy I changed my mind on posting it...but still sent his name to Matthew. Everyone should be able to know who is saying stuff in their direction.
Understood. I'm just trying to make sense of it all. The bad deal story makes sense, shows motive, but you would think if there were a deal between the two (good or bad), that Toppsaholic would have his contact information as well and wouldn't be starting threads asking for it. From someone who's been away from the boards lately and just reading it, it appears that Sliphorn started it for no apparent reason. Like you said, maybe there was more to it? Either way, I don't know Toppsaholic and really don't care.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Now to get back to the original question, have we ever figured out if this Ben person is real?
The question of whether or not there is a Ben has plagued mankind since the very beginning. Some people say the Shroud of South Dakota only dates back to the middle ages and isn't a true relic, but me, personally? I have faith and choose to believe in a benevolent Ben.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.