NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default mmmh, Mastro outbid has me uneasy...

Posted By: E, Daniel

So I placed a bid on an unlikely lot maybe 20 minutes ago, non-sports, hadn't recieved attention until that point (no bids), and barely 5 minutes later (or less, that was the time it took for me to recieve the outbid notice) was outbid........16 days left, whoever it was had not decided to bid till that very moment - and was only drawing more attention, if anything, to the item by doing so.....

Does anyone know if Mastro does or does not allow bids to be placed on behalf of the consignor up to a perceived reserve on the lot?

Daniel

Old 11-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think what you experienced is pure coincidence. I don't see anything wrong here. I run auctions, something doesn't get a bid for days and then back to back calls are for the same lot. It happens.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Probably someone who also had an eye on the same item...noticed somebody bid and then announced their presence with authority. ($1 to Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh) I wouldn't put too much thought into it...there are probably hundreds of people pouring through the Mastro site every minute.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

That's happened to me a few times but when you look at the number of bidders there are you can pretty much conclude that it was a coincident. The auction just opened for bidding yesterday so there are some people that are placing bids for the first time.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

Mastro does not allow consignors to bid on their own items and will not place reserve bids for them.

I'm still mad about the timing of the BP increase, but I do think they are an honest auction house.

The previous high bidder probably got an outbid notice and thus placed another bid.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I wouldn't worry about it. This early in the bidding, people are just logging in for the first time and placing their initial bids. I just did that this morning, and was outbid within about half an hour by someone else, doing the same thing.

-Al

Old 11-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Is anyone else still waiting to be approved? I didn't purchase the $75 worth of catalogs and went with just the online auctions late last week and am still pending.

Thanks!
Kyle

Old 11-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

Just to confirm we do not allow consignors to bid on their own lots and there are no hidden reserves unless disclosed on the site. Actually the only case we have utilized hidden reserves is in the case of some graded comics. In these cases it is clearly disclosed.

If you are having trouble registering feel free to email my assistant Sara at Skraft@mastroauctions.com. I am traveling a lot over the next few weeks but if someone is waiting to get registered or needs some help she will make sure you are taken care of.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Probably a west coaster who just got into the auction site around the time you did and decided to get a bid on there for later use. I've done the same thing with a bunch of lots so I can get "in" on them for late bidding.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

do you guys allow employees to bid on their own personal account or house accounts bid on items?

Old 11-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

As disclosed in the bidding rules emloyees of Mastro Auctions are allowed to bid on their own account for their own collections.

For instance I personally am a Cub collector and hope to take home the Conlon photo of Mordecai Brown's hand!