NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Default Are you or have you ever gone through a hoarding phase

I'm talking vintage card hoarding, pre 1975 or so. The desire to have a massive inventory of vintage cards has always been a huge draw for me. I'm not even sure why. If you are now or have been down that path before how'd it work out for you?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
I'm talking vintage card hoarding, pre 1975 or so. The desire to have a massive inventory of vintage cards has always been a huge draw for me. I'm not even sure why. If you are now or have been down that path before how'd it work out for you?
I'm in one now....Not for cards, but for pennants. It's like I'm hoarding for the apocalypse and think these will be the best form of currency once Mad Max becomes president. I keep telling myself to dial it back a notch, but then I find another "deal too good to pass up".
Old 08-21-2017, 04:58 PM

I was hoarding Clemente Rookies until they passed 100.00.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Mark Medlin

I'm hoarding n173's. I'm upto 2.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Yes

I keep buying items to list on eBay and items to sell at shows, but I haven't listed anything on eBay for over a year and I only set up at 1 or 2 small shows per year, so I am accumulating quite a hoard of 50's, 60's, and 70's cards, plus a ton of prewar baseball and non sports cards. I enjoy accumulating cards much more than I enjoy selling them.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I keep buying items to list on eBay and items to sell at shows, but I haven't listed anything on eBay for over a year and I only set up at 1 or 2 small shows per year, so I am accumulating quite a hoard of 50's, 60's, and 70's cards, plus a ton of prewar baseball and non sports cards. I enjoy accumulating cards much more than I enjoy selling them.
I'm with you Rick, but I don't have the bankroll not to do more shows than that. Have to sell off the little guys so I can buy more.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Yes.
...whatever I want
Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Ben North

Not vintage but I am a serious hoarder of 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken and Randy Johnson error variations. That sickness even includes cards with the most minor print defect.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

C'mon, what kind of a collector would I be if I answered no?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Default ..

I am right now. Every few years, I trim down my collection with a big sale (always keeping my favorites). My justification for this is, if I ever run into a situation where I need some money, I have cards to sell that wouldn't break my heart to part with.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I never have. I just hate having stuff lying around that I'm not really into. Have spent last year getting rid of stuff I bought on impulse but really am not really into. Not a hoarder.
Different strokes,
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I did. I don't know what I was thinking. Even though the card in question was produced prior to the big 'card explosion' (post 1980), I should have know better.

I topped out at 42 copies and am now down to 10 of this only one graded):

1964 Topps- World Series Game 1- Koufax Strikes Out 15 - PSA-8.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 AM
pete ullman

whenever I've tried "hoarding" it blew up in my face...usually tougher commons.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I never have. I just hate having stuff lying around that I'm not really into. Have spent last year getting rid of stuff I bought on impulse but really am not really into. Not a hoarder.
Different strokes,
I have a few buckets/boxes of odds and ends I need to get rid of too. Last time I sent everything to a friend in San Antonio that loves doing ebay stuff, jonstats (sp?)....He paid a handsome price and my subtraction became an addition. Or as we called it, addition by subtraction.

All collecting is hoarding, sort of.. but that hasn't really been my downfall, yet.

Last edited by Leon; 08-29-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:15 PM

When I was a teenager I had the brilliant idea to hoard 1987 Topps Will "The Thrill" Clark rookies. Had (still have) 20 of them. Modern rookies were all the rage and Clark was a sure-fire Hall of Famer -- or so it seemed at the time. Paid an average of about $4. Cheap lesson for $80.

Last edited by sreader3; 08-29-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a few buckets/boxes of odds and ends I need to get rid of too. Last time I sent everything to a friend in San Antonio that loves doing ebay stuff, jonstats (sp?)....He paid a handsome price and my subtraction became an addition. Or as we called it, addition by subtraction.

All collecting is hoarding, sort of.. but that hasn't really been my downfall, yet.

Didn't Mickey Rooney say that...?

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Theres only 2 kinds of card collectors..... admitted hoarders and those in denial
Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Theres only 2 kinds of card collectors..... admitted hoarders and those in denial
Those who collect cards are obsessed to be sure, but OCD can and should be subdivided.

Set collectors need every card (and sometimes variations) to complete a set. They are suffering chaseaholics. Abstinence usually results in temporary relief, but not a long term cure.

Hoarders, on the other hand, focus on a single card for a variety reasons:

1. In an effort to corner the market and affect pricing before selling - T206 Titus? - Hoarding for profit

2. In an expectation that future achievements of the player will affect pricing resulting in profit - Will Clark or Aaron Judge are future HOFers - speculative hoarding.

3. Their great-grandfather played ball and they liked him - familial hoarding.

4. Refractory congenital disease - Most children who stutter get over it. These hoarders just keep repeating the same purchase over and over and over for no apparent reason - congenital hoarding.

Finally and much rarer I believe would be the combination of the chaseaholic and hoarder, who hoard complete sets. However these individuals usually sell the first set and then proceed to collect the same set again. These individuals tend to frequent communal message boards, such as Net54, to soothe their anxiety in group therapy.

If you have read this post, in all likelihood you know which group you are in.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Hoarding teeth

Still looking to grab a hoard of one nice Ted Williams - 1940, 41 or 48. But my father in law seemed to think I had a lot (too many) of 5+ inch Megalodon teeth.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Those who collect cards are obsessed to be sure, but OCD can and should be subdivided.

Set collectors need every card (and sometimes variations) to complete a set. They are suffering chaseaholics. Abstinence usually results in temporary relief, but not a long term cure.

Hoarders, on the other hand, focus on a single card for a variety reasons:

1. In an effort to corner the market and affect pricing before selling - T206 Titus? - Hoarding for profit

2. In an expectation that future achievements of the player will affect pricing resulting in profit - Will Clark or Aaron Judge are future HOFers - speculative hoarding.

3. Their great-grandfather played ball and they liked him - familial hoarding.

4. Refractory congenital disease - Most children who stutter get over it. These hoarders just keep repeating the same purchase over and over and over for no apparent reason - congenital hoarding.

Finally and much rarer I believe would be the combination of the chaseaholic and hoarder, who hoard complete sets. However these individuals usually sell the first set and then proceed to collect the same set again. These individuals tend to frequent communal message boards, such as Net54, to soothe their anxiety in group therapy.

If you have read this post, in all likelihood you know which group you are in.
Sell their first set and then collect the same thing again, NEVER!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr308foxx2.jpg (76.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM
A.J. Johnson

Does this count?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1523.jpg (57.7 KB, 126 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Ron

Maybe....I mean ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Well, to be honest, yes.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Mike

A.J. - Your a hoarder but with really "good taste ". Or you have a lot of $$$, or did have a lot of $$$, most certainly will someday have a lot of $$$$ when you sell these.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Val Kehl

Nah, because they aren't all the same card!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:40 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
A.J. - Your a hoarder but with really "good taste ". Or you have a lot of $$$, or did have a lot of $$$, most certainly will someday have a lot of $$$$ when you sell these.
Mike wish I could say I had the foresight or the fat wallet to amass all these bad boys! Thought everyone would get a kick out of this if you hadn't already seen this pic floating around. I found on the CU msg boards.

Gotta hand it to this guy...he's the true Cobb Father!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 09-02-2017, 11:30 AM

I have 41 Old Judge cards of the same player, but one hasn't come up for sale in almost two years. That makes me think that other people are hoarding them and I'm just the collector trying to add to my collection
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I never hoarded, nor am a hoarding personality, but did sell off my photograph collection some years back because I realized it had been sitting on a table without me looking at it for a couple of years.

People would be amazed how little I own now.

Last edited by drcy; 09-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
When I was a teenager I had the brilliant idea to hoard 1987 Topps Will "The Thrill" Clark rookies. Had (still have) 20 of them. Modern rookies were all the rage and Clark was a sure-fire Hall of Famer -- or so it seemed at the time. Paid an average of about $4. Cheap lesson for $80.
If you hold onto them long enough, maybe Tim Carroll will help you get your $80 back. He just did a huge piece that was all 1987 Topps, so there's a start. He just needs to stay busy for another 20 years and you'll be all set.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS