NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Default Selig and Schuerholz Elected to HOF

The search for their cards now begins. So far, I've found a 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter's card showing Selig as commissioner and a team issue 5x7 photo of him with the Brewers. I haven't found anything that I'd consider to be a "card" of Schuerholz yet.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:09 PM
GaryPassamonte

Let's put in a couple more executives and leave the players out. No one goes to the HOF to read the stats of executives. The HOF is getting to be a joke.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 12-04-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Let's put in a couple more executives and leave the players out. No one goes to the HOF to read the stats of executives. The HOF is getting to be a joke.
Getting?

Many stories have been written about the mess, but like a lot of things this day and age, nothing ever seems to get better, it just keeps getting worse and worse.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ing%20a%20joke
Old 12-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Giovanni N.

I believe this his would be considered his first 1984 John Schuerholz, Kansas City Royals Team Issue Photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john.jpg (23.9 KB, 556 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:33 PM

As a HOF Auto collector, I had already hedged my bet...

Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Fred

Holy crap Gio, is that a Schuerholz rookie picture? You should get that slabbed!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Phil Garry

Selig appears in the 2006 Jewish Major Leaguers set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.4 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-04-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Phil Garry

This one is a Milwaukee team issue photo of Selig, looks like late 1980's - early 1990's to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bud Selig.jpg (54.7 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-04-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Chris Counts

Considering the whole story of how baseball was invented in Cooperstown was a complete fraud, it's only fitting that the Hall of Fame would enshrine the game's biggest fraud ever. Let's see how long they keep the comment sections open on news articles about him getting into Cooperstown. Fans, unlike the writers who vote for the HOF, won't be shy about pointing out that Bud got filthy rich at the expense of the game's reputation. When the game needed a strong voice of leadership and integrity to confront its steroid scandal, his job description required him to step up, but he was nowhere to be found.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 PM

Default Spot on!

Chris,

Well said!

Bud Selig is a disgrace to the National Pastime.

Hall of Shame!

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 12-04-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Bob Hamlin

Default Selig ???

I find it head scratching that while NO steroids guys have gotten in to the Hall (which I happen to agree with), the powers that be select the guy who oversaw the whole time period in which it took place......and everyone knows he knew what was going on. That seems a little hypocritical to me !!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Can't believe it

<---- shaking head , Bud " light " Selig , HOFer .
Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Every commissioner who served more than a month is in the HOF. It's a joke, but probably considered one of the perks of the job.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I am honest enough to say that I, like everyone I talked to back then, thoroughly enjoyed the homerun chase of 1998.

McGwire and Sosa were both easy to like and to cheer for.

It would have been easy enough to see the red flags, but we did not.

If Bud Selig got 'filthy rich' while 'overseeing' the steroid era...so did
EVERYONE else in MLB...even the pitchers serving them up.

The owners (for whom the commissioner works) all kept quiet while they raked in the big bucks, content with what was goin on.

It's very easy to have 20-20 hind-sight and I'm the first to admit that I
was pulled in by those who turned out to be cheaters.

These days, the two things that I hate the most about those times are
that McGwire lied to Mrs. Maris's face and Barry Bonds 'passed' the great
Hank Aaron...and, in doing so, he, along with all the other 'roiders' have
forever changed the way I look at the all-time HR list and even how often
I even check it.

I have greater appreciation for Griffey and Thome because I firmly believe that their totals were achieved without 'help'.

One thing I will not do is say that I did not enjoy all the homeruns at the
time they were being hit.

You guys need to get off your high horse and 'fess up.

hcry

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Dave Foster

If Bud Light is in, there is hope for Gen. Eckert.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Plenty of cheaters in the HOF

I'd put Bonds and Clemens in without hesitation. The sanctimony is laughable. The hall isn't filled with saints and honest men. Plenty of tubes and liars. Put them in for what they did on the field. If all it took was popping a pill to be great please explain Jeremy Giambi and Ozzie canseco.

Last edited by glynparson; 12-05-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I'd put Bonds and Clemens in without hesitation. The sanctimony is laughable. The hall isn't filled with saints and honest men. Plenty of tubes and liars. Put them in for what they did on the field. If all it took was popping a pill to be great please explain Jeremy Giambi and Ozzie canseco.
Then Joe Jackson needs to go in. My philosophy is if you are going to put in cheaters, you start with him. Then after another 50 years, you can put in Rose. Then after another 20 years, you can put in Bonds and Clemens.

The HOF standard was set with a guy who it was never proven that he actually cheated, but knew about those cheating. So, if you are keeping him out of the HOF for 80 years running, those actual cheaters should be held out at least that long. My opinion is that integrity should matter and all known steroid cheaters should be permanently banned from the HOF.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

And the difference between steroids and the amphetamines that were prevalent in the 60s is.....

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Kyle May

I really struggle with Selig getting in before Shoeless Joe and Rose.

We're talking about a commissioner that oversaw a strike in 1994 that severely damaged the popularity of baseball, turning the reigns over to football as the most popular sport. Then (and this is just my opinion) he allowed the cheating with roids to try and gain some of that popularity back, all the while lining his pockets with cash.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Selig undersaw the largest expansion in MLB history, the longest labor peace in the history of all American sports, he also helped open up Japanese players to the MLB and was able to be our scapegoat for the whole steroid thing. He deserves it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Selig undersaw the largest expansion in MLB history, the longest labor peace in the history of all American sports, he also helped open up Japanese players to the MLB and was able to be our scapegoat for the whole steroid thing. He deserves it.
+1

and I'm actually okay with Rose, Bonds and Clemens going in...

the day after THEY DIE!

They should be afforded no better treatment than Ronnie Santo.

rs

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-05-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The problem with HOF voting for a commissioner is that when Bowie Kuhn was admitted the bar was set so low that any commissioner who wasn't fired for stealing the silverware from the executive dining room would be a reasonable selection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-05-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:28 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Hof

Bud Selig but no Buck O'Neil
What a shame
Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 AM
T0dd M@rcum

This does nothing to make the Hall of Fame more interesting or compelling for me.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Bud Selig flew a plane on autopilot.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Scott

Wasn't Selig both baseball commissioner and owner of the Milwaukee Brewers at the SAME TIME?

Isn't that the very definition of "conflict of interest"?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

The charge of Commissioner, since the creation of the position in 1920, is to protect the best interests of the sport. In the wake of the 1919 Black Sox scandal that meant first and foremost ensuring the integrity of the game. The lifetime ban of Pete Rose some 70 years later served as further proof that integrity was all.

Not so during the reign of baseball's first Owner-Commissioner, who turned a blind eye to baseball's biggest scandal while at the same time stuffing his pockets with the proceeds. Protecting baseball's interests now meant its financial interests--the "its" of course referring to ownership.

Selig would not have gotten my vote, and I worry equally that his induction sets the table for Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, and all other cheats--save Rose--to enter. I can only surmise then that Rose's great sin wasn't so much the gambling but the failure to give ownership a cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And the difference between steroids and the amphetamines that were prevalent in the 60s is.....

I've always thought of it in terms of what the team gave players through its training and medical staffs versus what the players illegally acquired. To me the better analogy is the cocaine scandals of the late 1970s.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I would say the crazy excuses people make for their heroes to took amphetamines(+steroids IMHO) back in the 60's and 70's. I had one guy tell me that taking amphetamines was like drinking a cup of coffee.

Steroids have been around for more than 100 years and have been in sports for just as long.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
You can buy steroids (Sort of, but they'll still get you banned in most sports) From GNC. Amphetamines? probably not.

Steve B
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would say the crazy excuses people make for their heroes to took amphetamines(+steroids IMHO) back in the 60's and 70's. I had one guy tell me that taking amphetamines was like drinking a cup of coffee.

Steroids have been around for more than 100 years and have been in sports for just as long.
Amphetamine. is stronger than coffee. About twice as strong as Ritalin, which was basically like 8 cups of coffee at a low dose. Neither would help my hitting much, sadly something I can prove at a the local batting cage. (Doesn't help with running or throwing either, I'm still really slow.)

It's not clear how common steroids were in sports before about the 70's And I think they weren't common in baseball then. Bodybuilding/wrestling/weightlifting yes.

Amphetamines were big in cycling postwar as well as a bunch of other stuff. Pre-war there was a lot of misguided stuff going on. Cigarettes were considered performance enhancing as the "opened up the lungs" And earlier they'd take stuff like low doses of strychnine.

Things were more relaxed early on. In the 1930 Tour de France rule book riders were reminded that "drugs will not be provided by the organizers"
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
You can buy steroids (Sort of, but they'll still get you banned in most sports) From GNC. Amphetamines? probably not.

Steve B
If you are comparing the the crap you buy at GNC to real steroids you just need to walk over a few isles and look at their energy section. In your comparison it would be the same as amphetamines. Most of that stuff will also make you fail a drug test in most sports. Some will also make you fail a urine drug test for work.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Selig???

I just threw up a little in my mouth.. Bud never addressed an issue until it became a public problem and he had no other way out.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If you are comparing the the crap you buy at GNC to real steroids you just need to walk over a few isles and look at their energy section. In your comparison it would be the same as amphetamines. Most of that stuff will also make you fail a drug test in most sports. Some will also make you fail a urine drug test for work.
Yep, I always laughed when there would be some news about baseball not testing for stuff with overwrought opinions about it being cheating even of they didn't have any rules. Then they'd break for commercial and the first one was usually for "Al Weiders anabolic mass formula "

It's dishonest and ruining the game (Not very far off base there) Bulk up with this stuff that's probably banned by every sport except baseball! Geeeeezz.....really?!

I think the stuff McGwire admitted to was available at GNC, probably not as potent, but the same stuff. And probably just the tip of the iceberg for him.

Steve B
Old 12-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Yep, I always laughed when there would be some news about baseball not testing for stuff with overwrought opinions about it being cheating even of they didn't have any rules. Then they'd break for commercial and the first one was usually for "Al Weiders anabolic mass formula "

It's dishonest and ruining the game (Not very far off base there) Bulk up with this stuff that's probably banned by every sport except baseball! Geeeeezz.....really?!

I think the stuff McGwire admitted to was available at GNC, probably not as potent, but the same stuff. And probably just the tip of the iceberg for him.

Steve B
To keep this a little on topic I will say putting Selig in and keeping IMHO the best pitcher in the history of the game Roger Clemens out is a travesty.

Steve I agree completely. McGwire had Androstenedione in his locker and I also believe it was just the tip of the iceberg with him. I know I stood beside him in 1999 and am 6' tall and was a very roided out 220 lbs of solid muscle and he made me look like a skinny little kid.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

The biggest problem I have with Selig is that he was a really weak commissioner. Lousy decision on a long and tied AS game, silly rule developed after, no leverage used to get a CBA that put any teeth into the rules about PEDs, pretty much waffled until the money changed directions and went with the flow.