NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Brad

Default Have to go to Dallas for a week - any good vintage card shops?

I will be in Dallas for business from Saturday (12/3) thru Friday (12/9). It's been a couple years since I've been there and I figured I'd check here to get the experts' thoughts before doing a google search that would likely yield comic book shops, Target, etc.

Or are there maybe any good card shows in the area on Sunday (12/4)? I'm staying at the Hilton Anatole near downtown, but would be happy to drive a bit if needed.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Rich Klein

Default Neither of the 2 shops I go to

Triple Card in Plano and Nick's on Coit and Campbell in Dallas have large vintage card selections.

On the other hand, they are both nice stores, run by good people and are fun to walk around.

Rich
Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

nope... but let me know if you find anything.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Rich would know

Well, Rich K above would certainly be the one to know. Triple Card is run by a really nice gentleman and he does get some traffic in his store.

Too bad it's not next weekend as I just paid for a table, last night, for a local show in Allen on 12/10 (Sat.). It's very small but there will be some vintage there. Even if I just walk in, at my age, I am vintage .
Free admission and a friendly atmosphere. It will be 9am-4pm at the Allen Outlet Mall- Hampton Inn off 75N & Stacy Rd (west side of freeway). Hope to see everyone there. I will post a separate thread sometime next week,

Last edited by Leon; 12-02-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Rich Klein

Default Brad

Are you coming in for the winter meetings?

If so, I should be down during the event as I tentatively have dinner plans with a friend. He is stuck there during the meetings so that is where we'll have dinner (or lunch if that works better for him)

Rich
Old 12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Jay Shelton

Brad:
Al, who runs Triple Cards and Collectibles is very, very nice and knowledgeable about the hobby. The shop is located on the east side of Avenue K just south of Park Blvd. in the "old" part of Plano (east of US75). The shop caters mostly to new and modern cards (boxes and packs from 2007 and up), but has a smattering of vintage cards under glass at the counter and loose cards in boxes from most manufacturers from 1980 and up, in case you are looking to fill sets from those eras. Al also has "star" and "superstar" cards from 1980 and up in binders. Also the assortment of mini football helmets, some signed memorabilia, and hobby accessories (sheets, binders, etc.). Most who frequent the store buy the latest hobby boxes and "bust" them for relic cards, etc.

Still, it's the only baseball card shop in Plano.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Jay Shelton

Brad:
Al, who runs Triple Cards and Collectibles is very, very nice and knowledgeable about the hobby. The shop is located on the east side of Avenue K just south of Park Blvd. in the "old" part of Plano (east of US75). The shop caters mostly to new and modern cards (boxes and packs from 2007 and up), but has a smattering of vintage cards under glass at the counter and loose cards in boxes from most manufacturers from 1980 and up, in case you are looking to fill sets from those eras. Al also has "star" and "superstar" cards from 1980 and up in binders. Also the assortment of mini football helmets, some signed memorabilia, and hobby accessories (sheets, binders, etc.). Most who frequent the store buy the latest hobby boxes and "bust" them for relic cards, etc.

Still, it's the only baseball card shop in Plano.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Brad

Default Thanks for the feedback - Anyone wanna meet for a drink?

Thanks, fellas - will see if I can escape the hotel and make it to the above mentioned spots.

Yes, Rich, I'm going for baseball's Winter Meetings. I know it's late notice, but if any other Net54 members are around, maybe we can arrange a last-minute, very informal gathering at one of the hotel bars or restaurants one night. I've always been jealous of the various Net54 dinners that others have been able to arrange.

Who knows - maybe we can make it an annual side event for those who attend the Winter Meetings, with those who live in the area welcome to join in. I believe we go to Nashville next year and Orlando in '13 (then back to Dallas in '14 maybe?).
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Rich Klein

Default BRad -- PM me your phone #

Since I'm about 99 percent sure I'm coming down --- I'll call you when I know that my plan is

Rich
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default get together

If a few guys want to get together I am in......unless I have some conflicting appt. Lets set a time and place....doesn't have to be anything formal. LMK
Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I'll try to make it too.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Rich Klein

Default Fyi

If Brad is like most of the people attending the winter meetings; he probably does not want to leave the hotel, thus the meeting place is the Anatole.

Now all we need to figure out is when

Rich
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
If Brad is like most of the people attending the winter meetings; he probably does not want to leave the hotel, thus the meeting place is the Anatole.

Now all we need to figure out is when

Rich

What are these "winter meetings" you speak of? Personally, I go once a year to a sales meeting with my company.....but it's a "National Sales Meeting"....
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Jeff

MLB Winter Meetings?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Rich Klein

Default Sorry

Yes, it is the MLB Winter Meetings

When I had dinner with my friend during the last winter meetings the "highlight" was Dusty Baker sitting at the next table

Rich
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Yes, it is the MLB Winter Meetings

When I had dinner with my friend during the last winter meetings the "highlight" was Dusty Baker sitting at the next table

Rich
Was he wearing sweatbands?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default lone stranger

Ok, since I couldn't give a rats patoot about major league baseball then I wouldn't know.....but I am happy for anyone that has good clean fun in sports or sports related stuff. Pro sports just aren't my cup of tea. I love the collecting hobby though .
Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Brad

Default Anyone want to meet Wednesday evening for a bit?

Hi guys - sorry, I've been swamped and am just now getting back on during a quick break.

Wendesday evening (Dec. 7) is a time I can probably meet for a bit. But as someone mentioned earlier, I really can't leave the hotel much, and if anything breaks with my Club at that time, then I'd have to skip out.

If anyone is interested, I can search out a quiet spot to gather. This is a big hotel and depending on the size of the group we could probably find a space. Maybe it's just for a beer or iced tea and an hour or so of chat? I'm just interested in putting names to faces and being able to talk cards for a bit.

Let me know.

Brad
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Rich Klein

Default I';m game

Leon, with my eyes the way they currently are -- I would really appreciate it if you could handle the driving if you'd like to go. Depending on times we can either meet at my house or at my office.

And yes, if we firm up the plans, there are a couple of other people I would contact to say I'm coming to the hotel

Rich
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, with my eyes the way they currently are -- I would really appreciate it if you could handle the driving if you'd like to go. Depending on times we can either meet at my house or at my office.

And yes, if we firm up the plans, there are a couple of other people I would contact to say I'm coming to the hotel

Rich
Hey Rich
I do my Salvation Army gig on Wednesdays now so I will already be passing by the Anatole at 6pm anyway. I doubt it makes sense for me to go past it to Plano then turn around and come back to where I just left? That being said lets see if there are other takers that can help and then go from there....
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Brad

Default Dallas pickups

Hi guys - sorry we were unable to gather for an impromptu Net54 gathering in Dallas last week. That's just such a hectic event, it's hard to find time to get free.

I'd like to thank those who suggested shops to visit in the Dallas area. I was able to get to Nicks on Thursday afternoon and was able to scratch five 206s off my list (he had maybe 40 or so to choose from), as well as a group of '55 Topps All-Americans.

His shop is nice and clean and well organized. He even has a little "museum" in the back. His prices are reasonable and he's very helpful and is a nice guy to chat with.

I would highly suggest a visit to Nicks for anyone visiting the Dallas area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dallas pickups.jpg (52.9 KB, 49 views)