NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Bilko Glasier

Default Most valuable living autograph?

Who has the most valuable autographs for living people? Maybe like the top 3-5 or so?

Who is most valuable living auto in sports?

What about in entertainment/Celebrity?

Thought this might be an interesting topic to start discussion.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 AM
James Wymer

I vote for Derek Jeter in baseball. unfortunately!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I vote for Derek Jeter in baseball. unfortunately!!!
+1
Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I would say Jordan or Jeter...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think Mays charges quite a bit,

Astronaut Neil Armstong goes for some big cash as well

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Richard Simon

Neil Armstrong, and it is not even close, in the non sports world.
Right, Zip?? .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Sean Brennan

non peraonlised space shot of armstrong by far.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Danny Smith

Koufax has got to be up there for living hofers.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Banned

armstrong is the most valuable, he doesn't sign anymore but on very rare ocassions, one-off, no mass signings. so if he signed just a cut like an index card , you could get 4 figures for it.

baseball, mike marshall is near the top, hard signature to get, he signs infrequently.

in boxing, alfredo evangelista (fought Muhammad Ali) is very hard to find, he is living, but is difficult to find and get to sign anything. a cut like an index card gets 250 dollars, and a photo brings 500. This is as much as Ali brings himself, and I don't think Ali can really sign anymore due to his health.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-12-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Charles

Both Pujols and Ichiro are also quite expensive to purcahse.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 AM

J.D. Salinger might be the most expensive. I think an Actual signature of his would probably fetch near $10,000.

EDIT, I forgot he Just passed away about a year ago. It is probably Armstrong as I know cuts of him are over $1000 and photos are in the $4000 range.

Rhys

Last edited by prewarsports; 05-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

To me, there's a difference between expensive and valuable...and value is in the eye of the beholder. For example, I collect baseball hof'ers in a hof book. Lee MacPhail is the oldest living hof'er and he's in poor health so the window for me getting him to sign and the oportunity is quite narrow. For me, he is one of the most valuable. Jordan and Jeter are both expensive and popular and many people want them as individual sigs and along with team sigs so they are also very valuable.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
qualitycards

What about Ali? Especially that he can no longer produce viable autographs due to his illness.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
baseball, mike marshall is near the top, hard signature to get, he signs infrequently.
LOL, I didn't know this! I live about 7 miles away from Dr. Mike and had an aquaintenceship while playing Men's baseball. He is a little ornery, .
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
LOL, I didn't know this! I live about 7 miles away from Dr. Mike and had an aquaintenceship while playing Men's baseball. He is a little ornery, .
Marshall just had a private signing with Chris Potter sports. $250 a pop.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 05-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Steve Zarelli

Armstrong is probably the most valuable living person. $750 for a cut with condition issues and up from there. Easily $4000 for a boldly signed white space suit portrait unpersoalized. A generic personalized portrait with some fading is around $2000.

He signed freely for many years but stopped in 1994. The ironic twist is he often used a blue pen that faded badly over the years. So many signed photos have literally self destructed.

The reason he is so valuable is truly global demand. And he crosses over from space to historical to general interest collectors.

I have a few in my collection. I really regret not stocking up back in the 90s when you could get personalized ones for a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Dr. Marshall is a character, as evidenced by his refusal to sign. He has a curious resume: Cy Young winner to professor to secretive pitching guru. He got his Ph.d. from Michigan State while he was still pitching in the Majors!

I had his autographed baseball. And to his credit it was signed nicely and neatly.

Last edited by drc; 05-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
What about Ali? Especially that he can no longer produce viable autographs due to his illness.

an ali cut or simple autograph on an islamic pamphlet is about 150 dollars, thats his cheapest autograph, but it goes to a few hundred for a nice unpersonalized 8 x 10 and more for a nice 16 x 20.

the good thing for collectors is he has signed copiously for over 40 years and has signed probably a couple million autographs, more than any human being has ever signed in human history, so there is no shortage. there is a great demand, but his autograph is not rare, just will cost a bit.

When he passes, prices will double or triple, but that will just be a bump in prices due to emotion, not reality. reality is he really cant sign anymore, so it's basically the same in terms of overall autographs out in the marketplace, there really isn't going to be any more.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-12-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Dr. Marshall is a character, as evidenced by his refusal to sign. He has a curious resume: Cy Young winner to professor to secretive pitching guru. He got his Ph.d. from Michigan State while he was still pitching in the Majors!

I had his autographed baseball. And to his credit it was signed nicely and neatly.

Getting a little off topic...

When I played against him, he would only pitch, never bat. He would meticulously write down every pitch ( or sequence) at the end of an inning in a notebook. Noone ever talked to him during the game. If you got a hit, he was annoyed. Hell, he seemed annoyed if you swung! Most times he left as soon as he was done pitching for the game. If he stayed, he would discuss the game, at bats you had, and general theory. But if anyone asked or mentioned his MLB career....icy stare or blank silence.

One highlight: One of my younger teamates ht a homerun off of him, We convinced him to ask for Mike to autograph it. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Last edited by Deertick; 05-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Scott

Neil Armstrong? I think Coach's has half a doze. They can't be that rare.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Armstrong is probably the most valuable living person. $750 for a cut with condition issues and up from there. Easily $4000 for a boldly signed white space suit portrait unpersoalized. A generic personalized portrait with some fading is around $2000.

He signed freely for many years but stopped in 1994. The ironic twist is he often used a blue pen that faded badly over the years. So many signed photos have literally self destructed.

The reason he is so valuable is truly global demand. And he crosses over from space to historical to general interest collectors.

I have a few in my collection. I really regret not stocking up back in the 90s when you could get personalized ones for a few hundred bucks.
+1
The "value" for the sports autographs discussed on this thread has been determined by the greed of the player and the promoter who sell the autograph. They determine the value and hope that the public plays along.
The value of Neil Armstrong's autograph is based on global demand of a historic figure in world history. I have been lucky enough to obtain several of his autographs in the past year-year and a half and have always had great sales results including one to a Net54 member.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The value of Neil Armstrong's autograph is based on global demand of a historic figure in world history. I have been lucky enough to obtain several of his autographs in the past year-year and a half and have always had great sales results including one to a Net54 member.
At least half the people who contact me looking for an Armstrong review are from outside the United States.

In terms of athletes, Ruth probably has some limited global appeal. Ali is the only athlete I can think of that might have true global demand.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I think Mays charges quite a bit
If memory serves me right, Mays' autograph was $280 at the "50 Years of Amazin' Baseball" autograph show at Citi Field last January... and unlike the other players who participated in the event, photography was forbidden.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In entertainment, any of these are expensive and sought after:

Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Harrison Ford
Sean Connery
Paul McCartney

And many, many forgeries.

Connery is probably going to be near impossible from now on. He was always kind of a dick about it but he's announced his retirement and withdrawal from public life, so what was a toughie will now be impossible.

Most big-name rock stars are very tough and very expensive.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
In entertainment, any of these are expensive and sought after:

Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Harrison Ford
Sean Connery
Paul McCartney

And many, many forgeries.

Connery is probably going to be near impossible from now on. He was always kind of a dick about it but he's announced his retirement and withdrawal from public life, so what was a toughie will now be impossible.

Most big-name rock stars are very tough and very expensive.
Ford recently conducted a private signing that sold out very quickly. I believe 11x14 SPs were about $450.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
J Stone

Bill Watterson, creator of the great comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, is another who withdrew from the public and will not sign autographs.

A signed drawing might bring as much as an Armstrong to a comic art collector.