NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Default Way OT - But this is the place for the answer I need.

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I have a friend who has a passion for collecting very old, and rare cigar bands...he has a ton. I know nothing about that world....I have not seen his collection. My question is...are there any cigar bands with 'major league' players on them? Late 19th, or early 20th century? I thought I would ask this question before I take a look at his collection, in case I come across any HOF's in his collection. I would have to make him an offer if that were the case. Ruth was all over the place back then, maybe he was on one of these as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

edited to get rid of stough I can't get rid of.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Off the top of my head I know there is a Joe Tinker cigar band which is fairly common and not all that valuable - would guess around $100 but I may be off. I also know there is a Honus Wagner cigar band. I don't know their values but a few years back, I saw one at the AC National for $700ish. I also have seen some other baseball related bands, but not specific players. I'm sure there are more out there though.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jon...much appreciated. Now that i think about it, yes I have seen the Honus Wagner. I forgot about it. Thanks for the reply. But one never knows what might be lurking out there.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Actually, I think the Honus Wagner is quite valuable and not easy to find.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

There is an Al Simmons cigar label (presumably from the fairly common Al Simmons cigar box), but the one I have doesn't have a picture of Al, just his name.

Max

Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks Barry and Max. Wouldn't it be cool to find a new issue? A collectors dream...Keep the dream alive as they say.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Mike

I've posted this box before, but my dream label would be to find a cigar label from this box, as I grew up in Saskatoon.

Max

Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would think cigar bands in general would have a poor survival rate. Unlike say tobacco cards, which could be conveniently stacked and saved for generations in a box, how would one store cigar bands long term? They are made of thin paper and tear easily, and would then likely be thrown away.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If he has cigar labels (the labels put on the boxes), there are many valuable baseball labels: Al Simmons, Cap Anson, Joe Tinker, etc.

While there are the inevitable few computer fakes of labels on eBay, I don't beleive any of the baseball labels or bands have been officially reprinted, and a seasoned collector in that area would probably be able to pick out any fakes or reprints anyway. The bands are rarely if ever faked or reprinted. Some of the bands, including the Tinker, are embossed and with T205-style metal. This almost ensures they are genuine, as no eBay faker would emboss and gild their fakes.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

he now tells me that it is not cigar "bands" he collects, but rather cigar "labels". Which I guess is a totaly different realm. So we shall see if he has any baseball related labels. he's got a lot of "dough" and is as possessed about his hobby as I am about mine, so we shall see.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I also know of an "inside" cigar label of Hughie Jennings as well as a "Champions" one that loosely resembles cards from the N28 set.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

There are a lot of expensive baseball labels, then. There's one of the 1873 Boston Bostons which if famous, and numerous of Hall of Fame players 1800s-1900s. Also, any that picture other famous athletes will be desirable-- Red Grange, etc.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

A few from auctions past…hope this helps…

*not mine

Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

So there are quite a few out there. And I'm sure many undiscovered ones.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Each individual 1800s to early 1900s baseball or sport label is rare, as only a handful at most of each lasted to today. While some are rarer than others, you don't have to worry about picking a overly plentiful label-- as none are plentiful.