NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Default How to spot a fake 1963 Pete Rose?

Every website says the fakes are on lighter card stock, enabling light to show through.

Can someone test whether or not an iPhone light can shine through an authentic Rose RC? I just bought one that I was told was authentic, but my iPhone light does get through.

Thanks! I’ll try to post pics later.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Your best bet is to use a magnifier and compare it to another 1963 card. Sometimes using a phone camera on zoom will work.

But the real question is how much did you pay for it? Where did you get it? If it was online do you have a link? For 30+ years the Rose rc is one of the most faked. Your best bet is to buy it graded. If you saved a lot of money by buying one raw you probably got what you paid for.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Please tell me what you think? I do know its trimmed. I just want to make sure it's authentic.

Last edited by eliotdeutsch; 04-22-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
B0b Żwξn9

Default 1963 Rose

Hello, Looks like a real one to me but does looked trimmed along at least a couple edges. The off-center nature illustrated on your card is typically not found on reprints and the color and card stock type on the back look authentic. I'm just a collector and not an expert but I would've bid on this one as it looks like others I own.

Last edited by fusorcruiser; 04-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Something doesn't look quite right to me

As was previously suggested - get it under good magnification - If under magnification you see a pattern of dots - it is no good. If it is solid (no dots) under magnification it is good.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

The top of the card looks trimmed to me. As stated earlier the centering indicates that it is probably not a fake. One thing that concerns me as well is the how nice the top corners are compared to the bottom. Maybe the trim job has something to do with that.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Top looks like a meniscus, to go back to middle school chemistry experiments. Definitely trimmed.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Looks good to me. It's the perfect card if your intent is to have it signed.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM

How did you know?!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
As was previously suggested - get it under good magnification - If under magnification you see a pattern of dots - it is no good. If it is solid (no dots) under magnification it is good.

The pictures however should have dots. The rest should not.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post
How did you know?!

I suspect he read your website name....
Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Albert Bee

Default 63 Rose

I love that classic Rose rookie stamped - Official Counterfeit on the back ! LOL
Old 04-23-2019, 06:41 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post

Please tell me what you think? I do know its trimmed. I just want to make sure it's authentic.

Your card is real.

It's not complicated....the cap of a fake Rose rookie has a thin black outline on it. Here's counterfeit card to compare with your Rose rookie...…..

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Albert Bee

Smile Rose

should one be proud to own a collection of "original reprints " ?..

Imagine the prestige associated with having counterfeit baseball cards that have been stamped on the back .assuring you - that,yes they are original...reprints
Old 04-23-2019, 08:18 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
should one be proud to own a collection of "original reprints " ?..

Imagine the prestige associated with having counterfeit baseball cards that have been stamped on the back .assuring you - that,yes they are original...reprints
I have to figure an original reprint is more valuable than a reprinted reprint.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Okay but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I have to figure an original reprint is more valuable than a reprinted reprint.

..I only buy reprints if the seller points out that "it doesn't say 'reprint' anywhere on the card." Hey , it doesn't get any more authentic than that. ......per E-Bay rules.....

Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 AM
Al Richter

I intentionally bought a fake Rose Rookie and a 59 Ted Signs fake to put labeled as such with those two sets. At one time the SCD Standard Catalog listed two fakes intentionally. One involved Topps Mini Promotional Samples from the 60s, which were Surff book cut outs patted to cardboard with Promotionsl Samples stamped on back. A 62 Mantle was pictured in the Catalog.

The other involved pewter ingot examples of the Gallery Of Chamions sets, which were done, with one exception per year from 84 to 91 in silver, bronze or aluminum
Old 04-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Albert Bee

Default Rose rookie

Doesn't the story go .. A " Judge " ruled that these reprints/fakes could " stay in the hobby " for all to enjoy..as long as they are stamped on the back..

But did they have to stamp them " Original Reprint " ?.... why couldn't they just go with - "Counterfeit "...and leave it at that ??
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Doesn't the story go .. A " Judge " ruled that these reprints/fakes could " stay in the hobby " for all to enjoy..as long as they are stamped on the back..

But did they have to stamp them " Original Reprint " ?.... why couldn't they just go with - "Counterfeit "...and leave it at that ??
Wouldn't someone creating a counterfeit card be in violation of copyright laws, using the name of Topps, the Major League teams and logos, and the players pictures?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I had heard that the cards were to be destroyed after they were all stamped but several examples escaped the destruction phase and remained in the hobby. I also bought one of the stamped cards and love the thing for the collectible that it is in my mind. I also have a counterfeit 1984 Donruss Mattingly that was being sold all over the place in the 80's. It's currently in an ASA slab labelled as counterfeit. I love that one too.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM
Albert Bee

Default rose

Yes, that's right..the 84 Donruss Mattingly …..I recall a lot of those fakes...and I seem to recall 84 Donruss were not seen as often as the Topps..so that made it easier to dupe collectors
Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I had heard that the cards were to be destroyed after they were all stamped but several examples escaped the destruction phase and remained in the hobby. I also bought one of the stamped cards and love the thing for the collectible that it is in my mind. I also have a counterfeit 1984 Donruss Mattingly that was being sold all over the place in the 80's. It's currently in an ASA slab labelled as counterfeit. I love that one too.
Hi Andy

In the Summer of 1982 at the St. Louis National, counterfeit Rose rookies were available, and I bought several of them. Most of them were stamped "COUNTERFEIT".
But, some were not stamped. Anyhow, I purchased several cards of both of them. If I recall correctly, they were $5 each. Shown here are examples of each.

I could have sold the un-stamped ones as "real" (typical price in 1982 for a Rose rookie was $250). Most collectors, at that time, would not have known the difference.
But, you know me well.....I'm an honest dude.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hey Ted,

That's cool. I've never seen one of the fakes without the stamps. And yes, I know you're honest and wouldn't sell it.

Andy

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here