NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Greg C

Default Missing Mantle Rookie at National

1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 4

Cert# 41944340

Any info as to whereabouts are appreciated.

If this pops up anywhere, contact me immediately. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good luck Greg. Hope there is an innocent explanation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 PM
bR!@N R0+H

I cannot stand thieves. Best of luck finding it I will keep an eye out.

Greenberg collection
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

How the hell did that happen?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM
T0m P00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
How the hell did that happen?
I was wondering the same thing.

I understand this is a very sensitive subject with the card not being recovered yet, but was this left in a showcase that was not locked and someone reached over and took it?

I would imagine a card of this caliber is handed directly to a perspective buyer for examination and then handed back to the dealer right away.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Greg C

Default Missing mantle

Although it could be the case, I do not want to perpetuate an idea of thievery without iron-clad proof.

I would be more than happy just to receive my item back and completely drop the issue. In fact, I would celebrate the person who came forward whether it was “found” or “stolen”

It takes a real man/woman to return an item to a semi-anonymous owner, knowing they could easily just keep it.

I really just want my card back.

With that said, everyone please be on the lookout. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:49 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

a picture may be good in case it goes into another holder
Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Greg C

Default Missing mantle

Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

nice card..no print lines....purple label to boot
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

There do seem to be some print lines. The lights pole in the background.....from the far right of the lights between there and the bottom of the bat there seems to be some print marks. Could be like a fingerprint maybe? I'm not super familiar with this card but just hoping it could be the case for OP's sake.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Christina Vader - banned

Default Earl Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post

Cert# 41944340

Greg,

Heard about this missing card and Joined this Forum today specifically to find you.
We met briefly at National when you were viewing my Step-Uncle's RED HEART set and you two were talking about doing the "Purple Sticker" on his Mantle 4.5 VG-EX+. Not sure if you remember me? I am the girl who said 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' I had Florida Gators hat.

I saw you at ice cream stand late on last day of show don't think you saw me you were in an intense conversation with your partner and Earl Johnson the gentleman who was let-go by SGC. Is this related? The three of you were obsessing about a card (the mantle?) you were viewing an image of on a phone not sure if this was before or after card vanished? It probably already was gone at that time and yall were discussing situation if not thought this tidbit might help to solve. Call or message me if I can do anything you have my Uncle's Number he said to say he feels awful about this story.

From Sunny Florida,

C. Vader
Old 09-04-2018, 01:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVader View Post
Greg,

I saw you at ice cream stand late on last day of show don't think you saw me you were in an intense conversation with your partner and Earl Johnson the gentleman who was let-go by SGC. Is this related? The three of you were obsessing about a card (the mantle?) you were viewing an image of on a phone not sure if this was before or after card vanished?

C. Vader
I always thought the card disappeared, and someone tried to sell with a photo via text. Then they alerted Greg they were approached to buy the stolen card. This is why they were obsessing about the image on the phone. If anyone saw the card, and was able to snatch it, they'd know what it looked like, and didnt need to be reminded by a photo. The photo would be from a third party saying, "hey bud, this guy is trying to sell me your card"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Meanwhile NotVader, who came across as a non collector/outsider making jokes about her step uncle collecting dog food cards, posts that she has 85 t206 cards.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...postcount=2128

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-04-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Meanwhile NotVader, who came across as a non collector/outsider making jokes about her step uncle collecting dog food cards, posts that she has 85 t206 cards.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...postcount=2128
In defense of C. Vader, (s)he was not trying to pose as a non collector but to mock those collectors who collect cards issued by dog food manufacturers. Clearly T206s are where his/her collection is at.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
In defense of C. Vader, (s)he was not trying to pose as a non collector but to mock those collectors who collect cards issued by dog food manufacturers. Clearly T206s are where his/her collection is at.
I suppose, but hard to believe any real collector would mock Red Heart collectors.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Christina Vader - banned

Default Earl Johnson

Greg,

Heard about this missing card and Joined this Forum today specifically to find you.
We met briefly at National when you were viewing my Step-Uncle's RED HEART set and you two were talking about doing the "Purple Sticker" on his Mantle 4.5 VG-EX+. Not sure if you remember me? I am the girl who said 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' I had Florida Gators hat.

I saw you at ice cream stand late on last day of show don't think you saw me you were in an intense conversation with your partner and Earl Johnson the gentleman who was let-go by SGC. Is this related? The three of you were obsessing about a card (the mantle?) you were viewing an image of on a phone not sure if this was before or after card vanished? It probably already was gone at that time and yall were discussing situation if not thought this tidbit might help to solve. Call or message me if I can do anything you have my Uncle's Number he said to say he feels awful about this story.

From Sunny Florida,

C. Vader
Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Greg C

Default Stolen mantle

Quote:
Greg,

From Sunny Florida,

C. Vader

Yes, that pretty much sums up the situation. There were 3 people who last saw/touched the card, including myself. The card “vanished” moments afterward.

It’s a dirty game, people. Beware of those who are supposedly trusted.

Last edited by lowpopper; 08-09-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Wow so sorry this has happened can’t believe it! What’s the next step in recovery of the card?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Christina Vader - banned

Default Greg?

Larry Legend asks a great question

Greg?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Larry Legend asks a great question

Greg?
What can he really do....maybe video? All he can do basically has been done and has been advised on this thread of what else to do.....im sure he is open to suggestions for anything else not obvious (ie. go to police)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:

I sincerely hope that it wasn't someone that you trusted. Having myself lost something of value and sentiment to someone trusted, the violation of trust is worse than the physical loss.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM
octavio ranzola

hope it works out ,,,good luck
Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The amount of slime balls who frequent these shows is despicable. I hope and pray your card shows up soon bud.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Yes, that pretty much sums up the situation. There were 3 people who last saw/touched the card, including myself. The card “vanished” moments afterward.

I've had guys hold out a card and ask if I want to buy it. When I reach for the card it becomes a tug of war. At that point I don't feel we have developed the necessary rapport it takes to complete the transaction. You can never be too careful I suppose.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM

For high-dollar theft targets like this, perhaps the slabs could be placed temporarily in larger and perhaps brightly-colored acrylic cases -- say 8 x 10 -- that would be much more difficult to slip into a pocket or bag. This theft-deterring case would have the card slab inset with overlap around the edges of the slab, so it couldn't easily be popped out without use of a tool to unscrew the case, but it would not cover or obscure the front or back of the slab. Perhaps such a thing already exits, I don't know.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

You build a better mouse trap, they build a better mouse. It's almost impossible to mitigate loss to theft to 0%. Firmer punishments for thieves might help!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Christina Vader - banned

Default earl john son

Quote:

Cert# 41944340

As we all now know, Mr Earl John Son of Cleveland has this Stolen Mantle.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Is this real?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Is this real?
I am still trying to figure out what he means?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
Why does NotVader not need to display his/her name? I thought I read in the rules that our names must be posted, no?

And why has this person posted more times on this thread than the person whose card was stolen?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Greg,

From Sunny Florida,

C. Vader
He is a "she" guys.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Why does NotVader not need to display his/her name? I thought I read in the rules that our names must be posted, no?

And why has this person posted more times on this thread than the person whose card was stolen?

Names need to be posted when they give an opinion of a person or business. Once I figure out what she (she is a she) is talking about then we can go from there. I think it was just some sarcasm.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Barry Sloate

Never mind. I mixed up two different posters. My bad.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
This guy has opened at least three old threads. Something is fishy. He needs to identify himself.
This guy is Chri.stina Va.der.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Christina Vader - banned

Default ? huh ?

Quote:

Inquiring MIND it seems --- and not sure what you are asking at that ?

I am saying Mr Earl John Son of Cleveland is the person who is in possession of LOWPOPPER's missing mantle. Can I be more clear? I am available should anyone need me.

At Disney This Week,

C. Vader
Old 08-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

I am saying Mr Earl John Son of Cleveland is the person who is in possession of LOWPOPPER's missing mantle. Can I be more clear? I am available should anyone need me.

At Disney This Week,

C. Vader
WOW!!! I never would have pegged Earl as a thief!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
WOW!!! I never would have pegged Earl as a thief!
I'm sure someone has reached out to him, this I just have a hard time believing.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Chase

Quote:

At Disney This Week,

C. Vader
So lemme get this straight because I am not the smartest guy. You maybe at Disneyland but I feel like I am on a ride.

You met Greg (lowpopper) with your uncle at Greg's booth. Had a brief discussion with him. You also happened to see him in the line waiting to get ice cream but he did not see you and you happened to hear him talking about a card, which you assumed was the Mantle.

You wanted to contact Greg about the missing Mantle and just happened to find this website and this post. Wouldn't it have been easier to find Greg directly since you and your uncle must have had his contact info?

Greg did not see the card get stolen, from what I understand (though Greg has been brief), but you know who took it and you are accusing Earl Johnson (Mr. Earl John Son of Cleveland), who he was with, of being that person who took it?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So lemme get this straight because I am not the smartest guy. You maybe at Disneyland but I feel like I am on a ride.

You met Greg (lowpopper) with your uncle at Greg's booth. Had a brief discussion with him. You also happened to see him in the line waiting to get ice cream but he did not see you and you happened to hear him talking about a card, which you assumed was the Mantle.

You wanted to contact Greg about the missing Mantle and just happened to find this website and this post. Wouldn't it have been easier to find Greg directly since you and your uncle must have had his contact info?

Greg did not see the card get stolen, from what I understand (though Greg has been brief), but you know who took it and you are accusing Earl Johnson (Mr. Earl John Son of Cleveland), who he was with, of being that person who took it?
In post 44 Greg appears to agree with her version, as incoherent as I found it.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Steven

Quote:
????
Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
but old earl died in 2012????
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
???

Earl Johnson that used to work for SGC?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Bry@n

I am curious about this too. Is this the same Earl? This also makes me want to ask why he no longer works for SGC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
???

Earl Johnson that used to work for SGC?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I was under the impression that he didn't make the move with SGC to Florida.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Greg C

This card is still missing. Please continue to keep an eye out. Thanks.

- Greg
Old 03-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Greg C

This card has still not been recovered. If there is any info, please PM me or make it public. Thanks in advance.

BTW...BIG reward still offered
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
This card has still not been recovered. If there is any info, please PM me or make it public. Thanks in advance.

BTW...BIG reward still offered
Greg, I would add the 1951 Bowman Mantle cert # again for those that go straight to the last page of an older thread. Hope it turns up!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Greg C

This card has still not been recovered since it was stolen. It could be cracked
out raw or in a different holder. It has to turn up somewhere eventually.

A LARGE cash reward is still available for any info that leads to its recovery.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Richard L.

Very sorry it's still not recovered. Most likely in a different holder. Keeping my fingers crossed and best of luck!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

I assume you keep checking sales of comparably graded ones?