NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2023, 08:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
One of the positives of TPG'ers...
Sorry, but nothing that the opinion sellers have brought to the hobby qualifies as a 'positive' from my perspective.

Doug
Old 02-21-2023, 08:06 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
This one of the threads that you just gotta say, "WTF"
My 83 year old mother thinks WFT means 'well that's fantastic'
Old 02-21-2023, 08:12 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Here it means "Want to Trade For"...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-21-2023, 08:29 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

So if you’re leaving the hobby does that mean you’re selling your collection?

And if you’re selling, do you plan to grade anything first as a means of maximizing your proceeds?

Just curious!

…and maybe a little snarky….

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-21-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:59 PM
George E.

I am poor. Thirteen years ago I got back into the hobby I loved as a kid. I wandered into a card store and discovered I could buy the cards from the 80s, 70s, and 60s I wanted but rarely saw back in the day, and for less than they would have cost me in 1992. I spent $5 a week building a collection of stuff that meant something to me for nostalgic reasons or because of the team I followed. If I skipped a week, I had &10 for the next. I got complete sets of 84, 85, and 86 Topps for $2 a $5 each. i soon discovered a Gold Medal Foods Ducky Medwick on eBay for $15. I couldn’t believe that someone as poor as me could acquire a pre-war HOFer. This led me to Net54 and a whole new world I never dreamed of having access to. Then I found a Ty Cobb without the Cobb price tag, and a Sisler, and a Ruth. And I eventually put together the whole Gold Medal WS set. It was great fun for a while. Now, all that stuff is 10x what it was ten years ago. Which is good for the stuff I already have, but bad for the $5 a week budget. I’d like to say my situation has also improved ten-fold and a $50 per week budget would be nothin to me. But unfortunately I can’t say that. Instead, what I’ve tried to shift to is trading. And that has been a blast. The trouble is that it is very time consuming. I often have to take extended breaks. Why do I write all this? I don’t know. Maybe just to recognize the OP’s frustration about how the hobby changes and that there are consequences - and that it is kind of lousy when you are in a groove with it and it all makes sense for you and then it gets turned upside down. If you are limited in how you can enjoy the hobby, and the hobby changes on you and messes with your limits, then you’ve lost your hobby, and the loss is real. But sometimes there are ways to pivot and discover a new angle to take and still find a similar enjoyment. I liked what that 60s Post Cereal set collector is up to (not for me, but I like the idea).
Old 02-21-2023, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Weil
Jon.than We.il

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Is that not, in and of itself, a generalization?

“Only a Sith deals in absolutes.” — Obi-Wan
Old 02-21-2023, 10:32 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Give me the serenity to accept the things I can change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. (Or something like that)

The hobby is different than when I started opening packs in 69 and buying vintage (at the age of 10) from Gar Miller in 71. Things in life change. Either we adapt, see the good in the changes while accepting the difficult, or we move on. We never will return to before, but that doesn't mean today can't be special.

I love collecting. Some aspects I love more than others, but it's all part of the tapestry. I find plenty of reasons to be grateful that I can participate as my means allow.

I loved watching Gibson, Seaver and other great starting pitchers of that era. We'll never see their likes again. But then I got to love watching Maddux, Glavine and Johnson. And now I really enjoy deGrom, Scherzer and Kershaw. Be present in the moment and you'll find reasons to smile (collecting) today without lamenting what never will be again.

This place gives this collector reasons to smile every day. And I thank you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2023, 10:33 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Oops, accept the things I CAN'T change

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2023, 04:21 AM

Have hope and shift your focus, since the paradigm of (some) cards have changed.

With the price of cards through the roof to meet the increased demand brought on by work from home plus stimulus money in 2021 resulting from the pandemic, I created a post a while back asking how have you supplemented your card collecting and still found ways to enjoy the hobby. My example (cost less than a few hundred $ total) is below and the thread is here if you'd like to contribute:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=317438
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222823850 (1).jpg (192.8 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222456078 (1).jpg (188.4 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222518420 (1).jpg (184.8 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222548296 (1).jpg (183.2 KB, 556 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:34 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default Yep…

Grading is dum
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 793F6B80-ABD8-420E-B43A-EF79B296873F.jpeg (20.3 KB, 534 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 06:06 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Please respect her enough to tell her the truth.

WTF means Where's The Food? (or sometimes Why The Face?)

And LOL means Lots Of Liquor.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 02-22-2023, 06:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"WFT" means her grandson is dyslexic.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-22-2023, 07:44 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Those that don't understand the OPs frustration might consider the following:

Many "collectors" started in this "hobby" decades ago when it was actually fun to find some nice cardboard at a reasonable price and to continue to add to a "collection". I think in most cases, these older "collectors" never considered this "hobby" as an investment or an inflationary hedge, they collected for the love of collecting.

Enter "grading". Misrepresentation, coin doctors and poor subjectivity of coins screwed up that "hobby".

Now the grading of cardboard has brought in an element of "gotta have the best in the world". Population reports and investors start to get into the "hobby" and turn it upside down by leading it into an era where there's a focus on $$$/value rather than just collecting cardboard.

Now go back to that collector who had a passion to continually add to a true collection of cardboard because it was a fun, affordable past time. Now it's a true shit show of card manipulators, thieves and greed. That last statement doesn't mean that EVERYONE is like that, quite to the contrary, especially most people on this board. It's just unfortunate for "collectors" that liked to collect for the fund of "collecting".

Older "collectors" on limited budgets may find it very challenging to continue to add to their collections because it's not economically possible or the collector has just had enough and is saying "no mas, I give up".

I continue to collect because it's something that's been part of my life for a very long time. Is it enjoyable? I think it still is, but if you used to collect a long time ago, then you find hobby dollars don't go near as far as they used to.

With the increase in "value" for cardboard, there's a larger increase in the amount of fraud and butt heads that want to "influence" collectors and end up making it worse for the pure collector.

Yes, this is just a hobby, but for some it's been a part of their life for a LONG time and now it's just not fun anymore for many of those old time "collectors".
I have a friend who has lived in Austin, TX for the last 40 years. Every time I visit, the city has changed, grown, evolved. Whenever I mention it, he responds, "Everyone who moves to Austin wants it to stay exactly how it was when they moved here."

I guess our own little hobby isn't that different in many ways.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:42 AM
Brendan Mullen

No matter what happens from here on out Mr. Ingram........you still had a bunch of great R&B hits in the 80's!
Old 02-22-2023, 09:45 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
No matter what happens from here on out Mr. Ingram........you still had a bunch of great R&B hits in the 80's!
Sadly that J@mes In.gram passed away in 2019. Heck of a singer he was.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 02-22-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I have a friend who has lived in Austin, TX for the last 40 years. Every time I visit, the city has changed, grown, evolved. Whenever I mention it, he responds, "Everyone who moves to Austin wants it to stay exactly how it was when they moved here."

I guess our own little hobby isn't that different in many ways.
Every town I've ever lived in has totally gone to shit if you ask someone who has never moved. Never the idyllic way it used to be.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

If Don Henley were here he would say to you

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:57 PM
J0hn Collin$

I have a love / hate relationship with grading. When they screw up too often or offend my OCD, I don't submit for a while and sing the praises of raw cards.

I would agree with those who have said there is plenty of room in this hobby for you to do you. For me lately that has included low grade raw vintage, high grade slabbed vintage, and an entirely too-expensive jumbo hobby box of '23 Topps Series 1.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:05 AM
D0NN1E B

I get where the OP is coming from. Many have been priced out of cards they want. One may have to alter their collecting habits to a "cheaper" version of collecting. However, this many times is not the answer as one has to try and create a passion for certain sets or grades, and that usually falls flat. Baseball cards have become more of an investment than a hobby. Personally , I would love to see a huge correction so I can finish off my 1953 Topps set (mantle, robinson, mays). Not going to hold my breath.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
I get where the OP is coming from. Many have been priced out of cards they want. One may have to alter their collecting habits to a "cheaper" version of collecting. However, this many times is not the answer as one has to try and create a passion for certain sets or grades, and that usually falls flat. Baseball cards have become more of an investment than a hobby. Personally , I would love to see a huge correction so I can finish off my 1953 Topps set (mantle, robinson, mays). Not going to hold my breath.
People can always try to cast a wider net. While I would love to someday collect prewar HOF'ers, I largely haven't since getting back into the hobby about 8 years ago because most of the stuff I would want there has gotten so stupid expensive. I can get one beater marquee HOF'er from Goudey or T206, or I can get several nice, upper midgrade HOF'ers from the 1950's or 60's for the same price. To me that's a no brainer, I'm always going to choose the larger collection over only having just a few super pricey cards. So, with that situation - I could choose to be ticked off at what I can't afford (or more likely what I don't want to move to afford certain things), or I could just find other things to collect that still hold my interest.

In doing the latter, I've realized that there is still enough stuff postwar, 1950's - 70's that I don't have that I'm still interested in that I can probably stay busy for at least a couple of decades to come. So instead of worrying about pricey prewar, I'm going to finish my '72 Topps set, and maybe get to work on something fun and cheap like a '73 Kellogg's set. I guess some people get fed up and don't want to do that, but if you are open to casting a wider net and figuring out more stuff that you like within your budget, I think most collectors would be surprised at what they can make happen. But each unto their own.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-23-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:33 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I have found that mass quantities of Tequila seems to "dull" the pain of all of this.............
Old 02-23-2023, 08:39 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Personally , I would love to see a huge correction so I can finish off my 1953 Topps set (mantle, robinson, mays). Not going to hold my breath.
I'm working on the set as well, and I was rereading some old emails between me and another collector about it. I can't count all the times I mentioned passing on a card I still need at prices that seem quaint now.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:34 AM
Jeremy

I primarily collect 19th century cards and what I've found to be a fun, and much cheaper, is to create starting lineups/teams with the cards. I've been able to research a lot of non-HOF players who've had amazing careers with the bonus of putting together a solid mostly non-HOF team.

Forgotten stars like Dave Foutz, Adonis Terry, Mike Tiernan, Chief Zimmer, Oyster Burns, and Mike Griffin.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:50 PM
P.aul Orl,in

In the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka, “Lighten up, Francis!”.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I got this T207 in today, it was a whopping $7 plus shipping on eBay. You can collect cards with a tiny budget; you just can't go for the top .1% of investing cards. There's ton of great stuff for the collector who doesn't care about money that can be enjoyed on a budget or no budget. I spent last weekend in the backyard opening 2 boxes of 1990 Topps football looking to make a set of disclaimer backs from them that cost like $10 total or something and had a blast. Enjoy it, invest in it, whatever people do it can't ruin the fun for someone else. That I buy cards for fun and to keep doesn't ruin things for investors, that they buy slabs with their 401K's they've drained doesn't ruin the fun for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (193.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0233.jpg (186.9 KB, 260 views)
Old 02-23-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I got this T207 in today, it was a whopping $7 plus shipping on eBay. You can collect cards with a tiny budget; you just can't go for the top .1% of investing cards. There's ton of great stuff for the collector who doesn't care about money that can be enjoyed on a budget or no budget. I spent last weekend in the backyard opening 2 boxes of 1990 Topps football looking to make a set of disclaimer backs from them that cost like $10 total or something and had a blast. Enjoy it, invest in it, whatever people do it can't ruin the fun for someone else. That I buy cards for fun and to keep doesn't ruin things for investors, that they buy slabs with their 401K's they've drained doesn't ruin the fun for me.
Make sure the T207 doesn't end up in the fire along with those football cards.

Brian
Old 02-23-2023, 09:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Make sure the T207 doesn't end up in the fire along with those football cards.

Brian
Instructions unclear, I now have half a T207 with a crispy border.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:48 AM
J@mes In.gram

Some final thoughts on my rant.

No, I'm not quitting the hobby, just the investment brokerage side of it. Sometimes I get the wild idea that I need to break up the good old boy country club, that pats each member of the club on the back whenever they "pick up" their latest multi-thousands of dollars "card". Jealousy? Perhaps so. Then again, perhaps not. I'm pretty happy with the cards I have to this point.

No, I'm not going to rant anymore, or interrupt or hijack threads about graded cards or investments. Sometimes I wish Leon would just go ahead and change the name of the forum to "net54baseball cards investments and associates".

No, I'm not going to sell my cards for pennies on the dollar, for someone to send off and have graded and then sell for a small fortune.

No, I am not going to have any of my cards graded. There are a multitude of reasons why I am not going to do so. Graded, encapsulated cards is not at all why I collect baseball cards.

Yes, I am going to continue to collect.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-24-2023, 12:29 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Thanks for clarifying!

A little rant now and again can be cathartic. So feel free to let it out every once in a while. Better out than in, I always say.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:36 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Thanks for clarifying!

A little rant now and again can be cathartic. So feel free to let it out every once in a while. Better out than in, I always say.
Hopefully, it will at least be a different rant, though, next time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2023, 12:49 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If Don Henley were here he would say to you

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it
Get over it
Don Henley also wrote:

They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye
Old 02-24-2023, 02:13 PM
J@E R1T0

Well James, sorry you are not having a good day! Don't worry, its cool, we all vent sometimes. May I share a perspective?

Many might agree that this world creates and then fills many artificial needs. It's the foundation of most business and commerce today. Only a few of the things we buy are real "needs."

Example: My grandfather never needed a TV, he listened to the Sox on radio and that was fine for him. My father enjoyed limited TV, he watched Archie Bunker and not much else. Cable TV wasn't ever an option for him, not a necessity. I, however, watch more sports on more channels than I care to admit. My cable bill is far from a real need, its an artificial one created by people looking to part some of my hard earned wages from me each month. My choice, I'm good.

Likewise with collecting. Grade competition, investing, auctions, etc are likely not essential activities, but many find it enjoyable. PSA has created a need for many and that's fine, let them have their fun. Do what you enjoy, what you find valuable, walk to your own beat, and more power to you.

As an aside, I always recommend finding something truly of greater value in life and giving it proper attention; you decide what that is....

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:16 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Well James, sorry you are not having a good day! Don't worry, its cool, we all vent sometimes. May I share a perspective?

Many might agree that this world creates and then fills many artificial needs. It's the foundation of most business and commerce today. Only a few of the things we buy are real "needs."

Example: My grandfather never needed a TV, he listened to the Sox on radio and that was fine for him. My father enjoyed limited TV, he watched Archie Bunker and not much else. Cable TV wasn't ever an option for him, not a necessity. I, however, watch more sports on more channels than I care to admit. My cable bill is far from a real need, its an artificial one created by people looking to part some of my hard earned wages from me each month. My choice, I'm good.

Likewise with collecting. Grade competition, investing, auctions, etc are likely not essential activities, but many find it enjoyable. PSA has created a need for many and that's fine, let them have their fun. Do what you enjoy, what you find valuable, walk to your own beat, and more power to you.

As an aside, I always recommend finding something truly of greater value in life and giving it proper attention; you decide what that is....
As my mother used to say, there's only so much a man really needs, and the rest is just for showing off.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
As my mother used to say, there's only so much a man really needs, and the rest is just for showing off.

It's not considered showing off unless large scale scans of both front and back are included.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205pieces 001.jpg (92.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg t205piecesbacks 001.jpg (89.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 02-24-2023, 03:00 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
It's not considered showing off unless large scale scans of both front and back are included.

Brian
Aaaaamd the paper.loss HAD to be right over the "suffered " amirite?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-24-2023, 03:03 PM
J@mes In.gram

Love that Lena Blackburne. Just guessing you won't be sending those off to the graders! My kind of cards, sir.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 02-24-2023, 07:33 PM
Hank Thomas

Glad to hear the OP is staying here. I guess you could say that our hobby of collecting mostly baseball cards and stuff is analogous to what some wag said about the game itself, that it is such a great game that not even the idiots in charge can ruin it completely. Even with its many huge flaws, failures, and focus on the wrong things, this is a fun, even exciting hobby. I don't know why. I'm a smart guy and have always recognized and been amazed at the nuttiness of it all, but I still love it. I'll probably be checking out eBay and Net54 on the day I die.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Brian
I might not have the crappiest T205's after all. I think both of these are Hassan's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (184.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Aaaaamd the paper.loss HAD to be right over the "suffered " amirite?
Funny thing is, I do have a much more decent T205 of Wilhelm, which only has slight paper loss on the back...you guessed it, some of it right where that sufferable 'suffered' word is, so I will forever be in collecting limbo as to which version I have in either my full or 1/4 card examples.

And thanks everyone for enjoying my tiny T205 card empire. It looks like Greg is hoarding ripped up T205 Foxen cards in an effort to corner the market, or at least to take off the corners of the market.

Brian
Old 02-25-2023, 06:57 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Some final thoughts on my rant.

No, I'm not quitting the hobby, just the investment brokerage side of it. Sometimes I get the wild idea that I need to break up the good old boy country club, that pats each member of the club on the back whenever they "pick up" their latest multi-thousands of dollars "card". Jealousy? Perhaps so. Then again, perhaps not. I'm pretty happy with the cards I have to this point.

No, I'm not going to rant anymore, or interrupt or hijack threads about graded cards or investments. Sometimes I wish Leon would just go ahead and change the name of the forum to "net54baseball cards investments and associates".

No, I'm not going to sell my cards for pennies on the dollar, for someone to send off and have graded and then sell for a small fortune.

No, I am not going to have any of my cards graded. There are a multitude of reasons why I am not going to do so. Graded, encapsulated cards is not at all why I collect baseball cards.

Yes, I am going to continue to collect.
ok yet again a really not leaving the hobby rant....will be another like this from someone else again...
Old 02-25-2023, 07:22 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Generalizations are dangerous in all cases
In general, I agree.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:33 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Glad to hear the OP is staying here. I guess you could say that our hobby of collecting mostly baseball cards and stuff is analogous to what some wag said about the game itself, that it is such a great game that not even the idiots in charge can ruin it completely. Even with its many huge flaws, failures, and focus on the wrong things, this is a fun, even exciting hobby. I don't know why. I'm a smart guy and have always recognized and been amazed at the nuttiness of it all, but I still love it. I'll probably be checking out eBay and Net54 on the day I die.
This entire post resonates with me. Well said, Hank.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-25-2023, 08:56 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

It seems most of us have adjusted our collecting practices of late. I know that I have. My current project is an all ungraded '50 Bowman set that averages in the VG neighborhood. A few years ago, I would have aimed more in the ex/exmt range. However, cardboard costs a bit more these days. It's more than that for me though. I find that I actually prefer low to mid grade ungraded cards. Most of what I do is related to set building. I like wear on my vintage cards. I like them to actually appear vintage. That makes it feel like more of a hobby to me. I always wonder about where all they have been, who has owned them before me, etc. With this '50 Bowman set, I like to imagine the boy in 1950 who first opened them up from their packs. Like him, I'm just a temporary caretaker. Hopefully whoever owns them after me will enjoy them as much as I do.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:24 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
It seems most of us have adjusted our collecting practices of late. I know that I have. My current project is an all ungraded '50 Bowman set that averages in the VG neighborhood. A few years ago, I would have aimed more in the ex/exmt range. However, cardboard costs a bit more these days. It's more than that for me though. I find that I actually prefer low to mid grade ungraded cards. Most of what I do is related to set building. I like wear on my vintage cards. I like them to actually appear vintage. That makes it feel like more of a hobby to me. I always wonder about where all they have been, who has owned them before me, etc. With this '50 Bowman set, I like to imagine the boy in 1950 who first opened them up from their packs. Like him, I'm just a temporary caretaker. Hopefully whoever owns them after me will enjoy them as much as I do.
And ^^^ this ^^^ sums it up for me. This says what I couldn't find the words to say, why I don't care about graded cards. I want them to look like what they are, old, with creases, rounded off corners, thumb tack holes, tape, whatever. I want to hold them in my own hands and look at them, not through a plastic slab, from time to time as I did with my cards as a kid. I don't care about card grading. I don't care one iota about the flip and the bar code, if they're trimmed or even worry if they're fake. Could not care any less. That's not why I collect. I am all over beaters, many of which I have "picked up" from folks right here on net54, just look at my signature. I treasure all of them, they are priceless to me, and I love the stories and bios of the players, when it was baseball in it's absolute glory My wife and daughter will be all set when I up and croak. And not from selling off my cards, either.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 02-25-2023, 09:49 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
And ^^^ this ^^^ sums it up for me. This says what I couldn't find the words to say, why I don't care about graded cards. I want them to look like what they are, old, with creases, rounded off corners, thumb tack holes, tape, whatever. I want to hold them in my own hands and look at them, not through a plastic slab, from time to time as I did with my cards as a kid. I don't care about card grading. I don't care one iota about the flip and the bar code, if they're trimmed or even worry if they're fake. Could not care any less. That's not why I collect. I am all over beaters, many of which I have "picked up" from folks right here on net54, just look at my signature. I treasure all of them, they are priceless to me, and I love the stories and bios of the players, when it was baseball in it's absolute glory My wife and daughter will be all set when I up and croak. And not from selling off my cards, either.
If I can adjust and overcome some of the OCD crap I used to worry over, then I know you can. It's your collection, James. Do what you want to do with your collection. If you don't like grading, buy ungraded cards. Buy graded cards and free them if you like. Put them in binders, stack them in toploaders on your desk, do whatever makes your collecting experience work for you. This is just for fun. Net54 is a great site, and there are some solid collectors here with impressive collections. Net54 has helped me figure out what I do and don't like. Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. You'll always encounter collectors who have more than you, and you'll always encounter collectors who have less than you do. People (like me...LOL!) will give you advice, but you have to make your collection your own. It sounds like you already know what you like. Go forth and do it, and don't worry about what anyone on this site (me included) or any other site tells you. You do you. Have fun with it.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's more than that for me though. I find that I actually prefer low to mid grade ungraded cards. Most of what I do is related to set building. I like wear on my vintage cards. I like them to actually appear vintage. That makes it feel like more of a hobby to me.
Very well said. This is exactly why I have so much fun in low grade land; I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing at all, even though I’m shaving 90% off the price tag for the same card. I don’t see a NM card as really any more desirable to my eyes than a G one. Makes it much easier to collect collector cards rather than investment cards when one doesn’t see them as actually worse.

I’m 1 card away from 1950 Bowman. Should have bought a beater Jackie for $200 a few years ago. Now it’s almost $1K in any condition, and I have a hard time rationalizing that price for a mass produced card. I’m having a blast with the no copyright variations in the last 2 series. I need 14 of the no copyrights (and still don’t have Bob Miller or Sam Jethroe with the copyrights! Never thought a common Bob Miller would be one of the last I needed). Gorgeous little works of art.

Last edited by G1911; 02-25-2023 at 10:09 AM. Reason: A typo in Mr. Jethroe’s name.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:25 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Very well said. This is exactly why I have so much fun in low grade land; I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing at all, even though I’m shaving 90% off the price tag for the same card. I don’t see a NM card as really any more desirable to my eyes than a G one. Makes it much easier to collect collector cards rather than investment cards when one doesn’t see them as actually worse.

I’m 1 card away from 1950 Bowman. Should have bought a beater Jackie for $200 a few years ago. Now it’s almost $1K in any condition, and I have a hard time rationalizing that price for a mass produced card. I’m having a blast with the no copyright variations in the last 2 series. I need 14 of the no copyrights (and still don’t have Bob Miller or Sam Jethroe with the copyrights! Never thought a common Bob Miller would be one of the last I needed). Gorgeous little works of art.

Greg, you always have great taste! I've had the Jackie for a while. It won't win any beauty contests, but I do have it. It's one of my favorites. I have work to do in the low numbers still yet. I'm also collecting the copyright/no copyright variations. Those are neat. I still have a few of those to go, but it's doable. Like you said, they're little works of art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (13).jpg (173.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:45 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Greg, you always have great taste! I've had the Jackie for a while. It won't win any beauty contests, but I do have it. It's one of my favorites. I have work to do in the low numbers still yet. I'm also collecting the copyright/no copyright variations. Those are neat. I still have a few of those to go, but it's doable. Like you said, they're little works of art.
I think the 50 Bowman is hands down Jackie Robinson's best card. Awesome card, sir!

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 02-25-2023, 11:08 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I think the 50 Bowman is hands down Jackie Robinson's best card. Awesome card, sir!
Thanks, man!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2023, 11:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1950 Bowmans are cards I never really appreciated until recently. I picked up a low grade Hodges and wow, the image just pops. Then I got a few more Dodgers portraits and now I might just chase some portraits, like with T206. At least I had this one since I was a kid:

Not the purtiest but it's signed and it's mine.

You gotta love that Bowman included the partial photo-bomb at the left...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-25-2023 at 11:26 AM.