NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Default 1930's Real Photo Post Card

I recently graded a Lou Gehrig card that I thought was a Worch Cigar, but never noticed it had a post card back.

When completing the SGC submission form I noted it was a Worch Cigar, but when receiving the card slabbed it is noted as 1930's Real Photo Post card.

Is this good thing? Is the PC better than a Worch Cigar Gehrig? This is the only such Gehrig SGC has graded and can't find any other info.

Any info is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (74.5 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (73.5 KB, 330 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 PM

I have the same one, with the same back, and very similar back damage. It is a Worch Cigar. At least that's what Leon told me when he sold it to me. My understanding is the PC back Worch Cigar cards are much rarer than the blank backs, but carry no real premium.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

I agree with Paul. I have about 30 Worch Cigars and only one or two have postcard backs. To the best of my knowledge there is no premium for a postcard back
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't believe everything I say :)

Yes, the PC backed ones are much more scarce. I have probably had 30-40 Worch cards and only about 2-3 had the PC backs. I have never seen them really carry a premium though. This is one of my favorite Mack cards....and is actually a fairly scarce one and is blank backed.

btw, the PC back in the first post is one of the nicer PC backs I have seen. Most have some, to major, damage from scrapbook removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptuncworchmack.jpg (62.4 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post
I recently graded a Lou Gehrig card that I thought was a Worch Cigar, but never noticed it had a post card back.

When completing the SGC submission form I noted it was a Worch Cigar, but when receiving the card slabbed it is noted as 1930's Real Photo Post card.

Is this good thing? Is the PC better than a Worch Cigar Gehrig? This is the only such Gehrig SGC has graded and can't find any other info.

Any info is appreciated.
Did you receive a call from SGC before they slabbed it? If you didn't I'm a bit surprised, especially because you noted on the submission form that it's a Worch Cigar. If they thought you were incorrect and weren't going to identify it as such, I'd have thought they'd contact you first. They're usually pretty thorough about details like that.

(And before our SGC stalkers start posting heart-tugging testimonials, I'm not knocking SGC. The fact that they usually do such a good job working with customers is why I'm surprised they might not have in this case. So remain calm, all is well.)

Last edited by Rob D.; 06-11-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Johnny S

That back is wicked, looks like a devil skull blowing out smoke, it's as cool as the front.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Matt Wieder

This may come down to cataloging semantics, but the Gehrig you posted has some significant differences from what I have traditionally seen called "Worch Cigar" cards. Aside from the PC back, the front image is smaller and has a much larger border at the bottom. See here for a comparison of a traditional Worch Cigar Gehrig:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...100&category=1

I wonder if someone took the Worch Cigar images and made RPPCs out of them...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
That back is wicked, looks like a devil skull blowing out smoke, it's as cool as the front.

Johnny, I'm glad I'm not the only morbid one on here! When I first saw this posted I saw the same thing and was wondering if anyone else would pick up on it. It's almost so perfect it couldn't possibly have been done on purpose! Anyways it loses a bid of it's effect with the red highlights but here is the image Johnny referred to outlined (very quickly too so don't give me a hard time!)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 06-13-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

PS The one Matt pointed out is quite a bit different in the caption. Never kept track of the Gehrigs much, not sure which one is scarcer. The PC one has a caption in one of the Worch styles too.

Not sure what to think, they are both real photo and postcard size. Is the stock the same?

Last edited by fkw; 06-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default for me

I have noticed differences on Worch cards too. I have always thought it was just a loosely manufactured set and the differences were no big deal. These also remind me of the MN set from the same era. Think of a more common Frederick Foto, with all of the inconsistencies, and that is the way I have thought of them. I have never studied them in depth besides the quite a few I have owned. regards
Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Todd Schultz

There's alot still unknown about what are called Worch Cigar cards. The blank back, undated cards make no mention of Worch, and often carry photo credits for each of the Twin Cities' newspapers. There are several cards with minor cropping differences and different caption styles. I'm not convinced the photos were not used by more than just Worch Cigars. The postcard backs just add more mystery.

Tonight four American Association "Worch's" went off at very healthy prices.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Two were listed as uncatalogued, and all four were Minneapolis Millers. One of the players did not play for the Millers until 1935, and I suspect all four were issued that year. Oddly, my latest SCD Catalogue (shamefully outdated from '07) states that 1935 Millers are included in what it calls a 1933-34 Worch set. It is possible Worch continued to reissue cards over a multi-year period, but it is also possible that the 1935 cards, which appear to be limited to Millers, may have been issued by someone else--maybe even the team.