NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Val Kehl

Default New eBay Standard Envelope

Has anyone successfully used this new eBay Standard Envelope method to print a shipping label with tracking? I'm looking to ship a few inexpensive cards I sold last night on eBay. When I just now tried to purchase and print my first shipping label via this new method, I received these two messages:
"Please be aware that UPS is experiencing issues at the moment. We apologise for any inconvenience and if affected, ask that you try again later."
"Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label."
Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:04 PM
Larry More.y

I was able to print one of these new labels a few days back and it printed out fine. If I am reading the requirements for using this new form of postage, USPS requires senders to use only a regular (PWE) envelope. For those that are passionately against the use of PWE, this new option does not seem to alleviate the PWE concern. I was hoping that flat cardboard mailers could be used....according to the new requirements they are not allowed.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Ben North

I have sent and received many cards in PWEs. The best way I have found is to put the card in a penny sleeve and tape it to the center of a sheet of paper. Fold it in thirds, put it in the envelope and mail it.

I have found the more you do to try to protect a card in a PWE the bigger the chance you will cause problems.

Last edited by bnorth; 02-01-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I find the best way for me to send PWE is to get a greeting card, the ones you get from donations made to charities like DAV ect, place the card in between a card saver then painters tape to the inside of the greeting card. The extra thickness of the greeting card stock helps along with the card saver.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-01-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Joe

They linked these "mailjacket" envelopes in one of their notifications regarding this change.

They seem to fit the requirements I read so hopefully they work as I bought 200 of them and am sending out my first one today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-8-Paper...53.m2749.l2648

I used that for a lot of two cards that was purchased for $12 total. For ones under $5 I went with a standard business envelope - card in softsleeve, card saver and team bag taped to printed off invoice.
Similar process that I have used probably thousands on times on Sportlots with very few issues.

Hopefully this all goes over well however I have seen some posts on Facebook thrifting groups and such where people are bragging about being pretty careless in their shipping including being able to put 8-10 cards in a card saver and mail that way.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:23 PM
Andrew

Quote:
The best way I have found is to put the card in a penny sleeve and tape it to the center of a sheet of paper. Fold it in thirds, put it in the envelope and mail it.
Your customers are really ok with getting cards that have been folded in thirds?

Last edited by ASF123; 02-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Your customers are really ok with getting cards that have been folded in thirds?
Guessing the folded in thirds part refers to the piece of paper and not the card.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Tony Ooten

I've printed one and just dropped a card in the mail box with the new label.

We'll see how well tracking works. It didn't have the classic big bar codes like I'm used to seeing.

It doesn't have to be a PWE, but the requirements rule out most everything else.

<3 oz, < 1/4" thick, uniform thickness, not completely rigid, a couple more

I wouldn't be surprised if those paperboard mail jackets approach 3 oz pretty quickly
Old 02-01-2021, 03:37 PM
Howard Chernick

I personally won't use that option. I prefer to stick with placing card in top loader and using. bubble envelopes.

PWE offer very little protection. I think every card deserves to have some sort of protection.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

No protection for the seller on ebay using this platform. This sounds very problematic to the seller and buyer. Easily damaged at no fault of seller, I can see ebay siding with every buyer hands down, every time, they know the S show USPS is nowadays. It's ok for beat to hell freebees or trades to be sent this way, but ebay, no way.

Avoid

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-01-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:58 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Probably off topic but, Issue I have had in the past , when I ship PWE or w/o tracking 80% + of the time buyer claims no receipt. And we are talking $10 cards here. Integrity has no minimums it seems...
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Tony Ooten

last two or three years I've mailed 100's of single cards in top loader & PWE no tracking. and dozens of lots of 9 in 1/3 of a nine pocket sheet.

$2 to $10 w/ free shipping - mostly $2,$3,$4 cards

Probably very few of those 100's would've sold if I had to add $2, $3 or $4 for shipping

I've refunded less than 10 due to seller claiming no receipt.

Not once has anyone complained of damaged cards.

If the tracking works on these labels, I'll use them.....

and, I'm pretty sure I saw that <1 oz is only 51cents
Old 02-01-2021, 05:18 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if those paperboard mail jackets approach 3 oz pretty quickly
Yes - that is certainly correct.
The envelope itself is 1.3oz which makes it pretty sturdy but not a lot of wiggle room to get many cards in there with protection.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Luke Lyon

I've shipped 3 of these so far. All at 1oz and pretty well protected imo. I'll update if anything goes wrong with the orders, but so far I am loving the new option.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Probably off topic but, Issue I have had in the past , when I ship PWE or w/o tracking 80% + of the time buyer claims no receipt. And we are talking $10 cards here. Integrity has no minimums it seems...
Really? In the past couple of years I have mailed several thousand of these, with only a couple of dozen claims of non-receipt.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Luke Lyon

Oh and Val, I got that same message this morning. The solution for me was to keep scrolling down the page. There is another button you can click to buy the postage. That second button worked.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:41 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Guessing the folded in thirds part refers to the piece of paper and not the card.
That was the joke, yes.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:13 PM

eBay tells me I have sold 1,072 items in the last 12 months. Of those, I'd guess 1,000 were shipped in a top loader (taped shut) and taped to the packing slip folded in 3rds (as bnorth mentioned above).

I've gotten ZERO complaints about damage, and maybe five issues where the buyer claimed no delivery. One of those, the card came back about a week later and the buyer happily bought it again.

If this gives a little extra piece of mind with the tracking, I think it's worth a try.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Oh and Val, I got that same message this morning. The solution for me was to keep scrolling down the page. There is another button you can click to buy the postage. That second button worked.
Thanks to Luke and everyone else who replied with their suggestions. Shortly after I couldn't generate an "eBay Standard Envelope" shipping label, I tried to generate a shipping label for a regular bubble-mailer 1st Class package, and I received pretty much the same message from eBay. So, I concluded that eBay's shipping label routine was currently not working. So, I went outside and cleaned the snow off of my car. When I returned to my PC, the eBay shipping labels routine worked just fine, and I printed a half dozen shipping labels for "eBay Standard Envelope" shipments.

This is not the end of the story. Because I had already missed the USPS carrier who picks up the outgoing mail at my condo building, I took my half dozen PWEs with their eBay labels to my local, small, branch post office. Rather than drop them into the outgoing mail chute, I took them to the service counter and asked the USPS clerk if she had seen any of these yet. She hadn't, so I explained what they were to her. I asked her to kindly scan them and give me a receipt; she tried to do this, but her scanner didn't seem to recognize anything. I explained that eBay's system generated a USPS tracking number (which doesn't appear on the shipping label), but I could tell she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. By now, these half dozen PWEs would have been delivered from my branch post office to the nearest regional distribution center, however, the USPS tracking shows only that I have produced these half-dozen labels. It will be interesting to see if these PWEs get tracked to their destinations (I'm not holding my breath!).
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 02-01-2021 at 09:44 PM. Reason: To correct spelling
Old 02-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I personally won't use that option. I prefer to stick with placing card in top loader and using. bubble envelopes.

PWE offer very little protection. I think every card deserves to have some sort of protection.
I'm with you. People might not like me charging $3.50, but I get them their cards in one piece. I don't see that happening with PWE.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:01 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I sent several today and did a lot of research before I did. You have to follow all of the regulations to the letter. If you look at eBay shipping supplies they have paperboard mailing jackets as an example of what you can use. No bubble mailers, no plastic at all. Has to be under .25” thick and uniform thickness - no bulges. Has to fit within size parameters. I bought some 6x8 mailers on eBay last week and got them for about 15 cents each - used a vendor close to me and had them in 2 days. It has to be listed in the card category and has to be under $20. You can send up to 15 raw cards or 3 cards in toploads.

So far I think it’s great. There are going to be growing pains following all of the rules to get it right. Went through my listings and moved as many cards as I could to this service. Long overdue.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
This is not the end of the story. Because I had already missed the USPS carrier who picks up the outgoing mail at my condo building, I took my half dozen PWEs with their eBay labels to my local, small, branch post office. Rather than drop them into the outgoing mail chute, I took them to the service counter and asked the USPS clerk if she had seen any of these yet. She hadn't, so I explained what they were to her. I asked her to kindly scan them and give me a receipt; she tried to do this, but her scanner didn't seem to recognize anything. I explained that eBay's system generated a USPS tracking number (which doesn't appear on the shipping label), but I could tell she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. By now, these half dozen PWEs would have been delivered from my branch post office to the nearest regional distribution center, however, the USPS tracking shows only that I have produced these half-dozen labels. It will be interesting to see if these PWEs get tracked to their destinations (I'm not holding my breath!).
All is well - each of my half dozen PWEs have now been scanned at the USPS regional distribution center! I'm lovin' eBay's new PWE system!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 AM
Mike

Is there an ebay label for large envelopes or only a PWE or Package option ?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:46 AM

I have only made one purchase using this new system. The ETA for the envelope is two weeks longer than First Class with tracking. Has anyone else had this experience? I understand that all of these mailings are to be shipped to a processing center, but two weeks longer seems excessive. Perhaps they're just trying to cover the bases for the sometimes terrible delivery times as of late.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I have only made one purchase using this new system. The ETA for the envelope is two weeks longer than First Class with tracking. Has anyone else had this experience? I understand that all of these mailings are to be shipped to a processing center, but two weeks longer seems excessive. Perhaps they're just trying to cover the bases for the sometimes terrible delivery times as of late.
They are just covering their bases. Weirdly my real life experience the last few months is a PWE arrives faster than Priority mail.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I just listed a bunch of cards. Those that I picked " ebay std envelope" as the shipping method say expected delivery is Feb 12 to Feb 17, and those that I picked "first class mail" say expected delivery is Feb 17 to Feb 18.

Last edited by tonyo; 02-02-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:02 PM
Robert Klevens

I wonder how combined shipping works for this since there is a 3oz and $20 limit.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

You can combine up to 3 cards in toploads or 15 raw cards up to $20 in value as long as it weighs under 3 oz. Otherwise you can't use this service.

In response to ship time, the cards I sent yesterday have an estimated delivery date of 2/6-2/8.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 PM

Stupid question time. Is this only for fixed items? Otherwise, with auctions you can ship for this special rate under $20 but if it goes above $20 it’s standard shipping?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Stupid question time. Is this only for fixed items? Otherwise, with auctions you can ship for this special rate under $20 but if it goes above $20 it’s standard shipping?
It is for both auction and fixed price. And yes, if the item goes above $20 you have to go first class.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
It is for both auction and fixed price. And yes, if the item goes above $20 you have to go first class.
What size printer labels is everyone using?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
What size printer labels is everyone using?
I use 4x6 labels.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:31 PM

Thanks so much!
Old 02-02-2021, 09:55 PM
Andrew

I'm kind of passively thinking about trying to sell some extras I've accumulated along the way, cards from my childhood collection that I've upgraded, etc. These would be low-$ cards just for a little more "pocket money" to spend on other cards.

However, it seems like there are a ton of eBay rules and such to navigate. Does anyone know of a good website, book, or other resource that would set out what you need to start selling (packaging supplies, etc.), help with figuring out the shipping rules, common beginner mistakes, etc.? Also helpful would be info on what types of items do better in auctions vs. fixed, best day/time to have auctions end, that kind of thing.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Mike

With the new Letter option on ebay has anyone else ,besides me, needed to void a label. I have been unable to void a label with this new system. I hit 1 oz by mistake and printed , so I printed another for 2 oz, but can't void the first label. That option is only available on my other shipments.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 3.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm with you. People might not like me charging $3.50, but I get them their cards in one piece. I don't see that happening with PWE.
Yes, and people don't realize that you are losing money on all of your $3.50 shipments. eBay takes 43 cents for fees on the shipping, and a 4 ounce package runs from $3.01 to $3.49, depending on the zone, so if you factor in the padded envelope and the supplies, ink and paper, you are losing between 90 cents to $1.40 or so on each shipment. If you are shipping a couple of cards and you need 6 ounces for postage, you are losing an additional 47 cents per package.

Last edited by buymycards; 02-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:04 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
With the new Letter option on ebay has anyone else ,besides me, needed to void a label. I have been unable to void a label with this new system. I hit 1 oz by mistake and printed , so I printed another for 2 oz, but can't void the first label. That option is only available on my other shipments.
I had the same issue. Had a buyer cancel an order and I couldn’t void the postage. I guess it’s a donation to the usps.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Mike

I called ebay customer service today and they voided it for me.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:36 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default void

Does this work?

Go to My eBay and click Shipping Labels under ‘Sell’.
In the Actions column click ‘Void label’.
Follow the instructions on the ‘Void your shipping label’ page.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:48 PM
Robert Klevens

I contacted eBay about an issue and they told me there is an Unsolicited Idea Submission link. It seems they actually respond in most cases.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/m...=4256#section2
Old 02-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My standard shipping is $5, which means lots of bundling on $10 cards or no sales. I just redid all my raw cheap card listings with this alternative, see how it goes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Mike

I don't have the "VOID" option available on the letter shipments. Do you ?
Old 02-08-2021, 05:59 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

I just bought a batch of cardboard CD mailers that are within the size limitation. I have to say that this is one of the ONLY times that Feebay has ever done anything right for the seller. Having to charge 3.55 to break even on shipping for a 1.75 auction card made no sense and was producing diminishing returns. This costs me total of 61 cents, including feebay commission on shipping ($1) and the envelope. Perfect.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:54 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Potentially stupid question, but do you need actual labels to print the postage for this new option, or can you print to paper and then tape it on?
Old 02-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
Potentially stupid question, but do you need actual labels to print the postage for this new option, or can you print to paper and then tape it on?
^This^ or can you just print it directly on the PWE? I agree with others that this will be great for selling lower end cards.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I have been using plain old paper - been working FINE for me!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Mike

Just had a problem with the new letter option on ebay. I got an order for 18 cards for under $20 and the buyer selected the letter option but with 18 cards it doesn't meet the thickness standards, so I look at other options, and there is no package option available. Anyone else have a similiar problem. I think I will just ship it in 2 envelopes and pay double letter price which is cheaper anyways from the package price. But no other package option is a problem.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:40 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I don't have the "VOID" option available on the letter shipments. Do you ?
I just sent a letter using this method. There doesn't seem to be a void option.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:59 PM

Question for those who have used these new PWEs (and have had them actually work): how are they actually tracked? I just mailed three of these today for the first time. My labels have a tracking number printed on the label, but there is no scannable bar code on the label. I asked the USPS workers about this new service, and they had no idea what I was talking about. The workers had no idea how my PWEs would be scanned on delivery without any bar code. Did I screw something up?
Old 02-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Scans

The barcodes on these envelopes are not package tracking barcodes. They are Intelligent Mail barcodes, which can only be read by the processing machines. The clerks cannot scan them and the carriers cannot scan them. You will never have an actual "delivery" scan or an acceptance scan.

If you subscribe to the USPS Informed Delivery, you are told what mail you can expect today. This comes from the IMB barcode that is scanned at the processing plant. The IMB's and the machines are very accurate and 99% of the time you will receive the mail that is pictured on your Informed Delivery email.

If you look at your incoming mail you will see that all of the letters have these IMB codes sprayed on them. A black barcode on the front and a pink barcode on the back.