NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default 1928 Harringtons' Ice Cream questions

Posted By: Todd

Have these been reprinted? How scarce are they?

Old 12-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

They're tough, but not impossible. My experience with related sets tell me that they should be ranked as follows:

Harrington (easiest)
W502
Yuengling
York
Tharps
Sweetman (toughest)

Steve Lucas (vorthian) really knows these sets but I haven't seen him post here for some time.

I recently asked whether these cards have been reprinted after I purchased a Harrington Tris Speaker that was whiter than any Harrington card that I owned. I was told that the Harrington cards from that dealer are ok and that there are no known reprints.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Are the Greiner Bread cards a different backed version of the above mentioned sets? They have the same checklist, and were added to the '04 SCD but w/ no picture. Has anyone seen one of these?

Old 12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I am beginning to think that the Greiners Bread listed in the 2004 SCD could be some sort of copyright protection move by Krause. In previous guides I noticed that there would be the occasional odd price (for example, all the commons listed in Vg at $12.00, except one at $10.00), in order to identify if any other publisher were lifting their listings. I know of one very well known producer of maps who does something similiar by actually putting in fake streets so that it would be dead giveaway that their information had been stolen if it came up in court. Perhaps a non-existent set of cards (conveniently with no photo) could fit this bill. I know I have never heard of Greiners before.

This is all just wild conjecture--which sometimes is what keeps the idle mind busy and happy.

Anyone out there hear of this issue? A previous similiar plea for information on this received no response.

Brian

Old 12-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

I actually thought the very same thing about the copyright protection thing. Hypothetically, a certain poster who may or may not use this same IP address input an awful lot of Krause info to a spreadsheet and noticed these same anomolies.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Kind of like in M*A*S*H*, when Frank Burns would take a hair from a mole and place it on his letters to see if Trapper and Hawkeye had been reading them when he was out of the ten (And they had, the blighters!)

Old 12-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think the Greiner Bread backed cards were left blank....like the Baycius (sp?) Brewing cards. That is what I have heard before..Probably makes sense too since I have never seen one and never spoken with anyone that has..best regards (they could have even produced the blank back cards and distributed them to other advertisers)

Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

about the Greiner's issue, and didn't find one person that either has seen one, or owns one. I've meant to email Bob Lemke and get his expert opinion on the matter, but have so far forgetten to do so. Brian's theory has some tact to it, and I suppose it's quite possible that this is the case. I found it strange that it did pop up in this years 2004 SCD without a picture. Maybe Bob will lend his thoughts here..other wise, this issue may continue to stay ellusively unknown.