NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Babe Ruth Ban Johnson Ball

It's been kind of slow over here the last couple days, so what better than posting a Ruth auto to opine on. I passed on this one a couple months ago, I just couldn't get comfortable with it not being a clubhouse. The ball type would place it 1926 or earlier, but the B seems so angular and the Ruth having the crossed up R? I still look at the photos every once and awhile to try to assure myself that I made the right decision in passing on it. I am using my iPad and for some reason cannot get it to load more than one photo at a time so I will reply below with the others. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.4 KB, 349 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Photo number two

Photo number two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.1 KB, 348 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Photo number three

Photo number three
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.6 KB, 348 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Photo number four

Photo number four
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.9 KB, 348 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Carmelo N.

I agree with your initial feelings
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Jeff P0tter

Bump to see if I can get any more opinions and a consensus on this, and whether to add it to my file as a circa 1925 clubhouse signature, for future reference.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

Jeff, it is not a clubhouse signature.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

From yesterday's thread regarding forgeries:

http://net54baseball.com/showpost.ph...69&postcount=8
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

It really makes very little difference if a ball has a club house signiture or a forged one. The bottom line is Ruth did not sign it thus makeing the ball worth more than the scribble that is on it.
Just my opinion.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Jeff P0tter

I passed on it a few months ago because I knew it didn't look right one way or another, but to me, personally I do like to know if it might be clubhouse or outright forgery. I add them to my file and allows me to see trends, or patterns if forgery and I find that valuable information...but then again I am overly analytical of things.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
I passed on it a few months ago because I knew it didn't look right one way or another, but to me, personally I do like to know if it might be clubhouse or outright forgery. I add them to my file and allows me to see trends, or patterns if forgery and I find that valuable information...but then again I am overly analytical of things.
I think David Atkatz' post sums up the difference very well. People who signed as clubhouse or secretarial would not have had forgery skills, so it should be very obvious. Also, I have never heard of a single-signed clubhouse ball.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Jeff P0tter

Good point, thank you.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Please answer this. If a ball has a single signed clubhouse signiture. Another ball has a single signed forgery of the same player is the clubhouse worth more.
I know that I have never seen a single signed clubhouse signiture but just asking .
Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Please answer this. If a ball has a single signed clubhouse signiture. Another ball has a single signed forgery of the same player is the clubhouse worth more.
I know that I have never seen a single signed clubhouse signiture but just asking .
Both are worth what you would pay to buy Fido a chew toy.

Keeping it more real, and along the same lines - if you have two 1927 Yankees balls, one with 20 real signatures and 2 forgeries (Ruth and Gehrig), and the other with 20 real signatures and 2 obvious clubhouse (Ruth and Gehrig), which is worth more? ...or is there no difference in value?

As a collector, the one with the forgeries would be much less appealing, primarily because the forgeries were not intended to be on the ball and are almost certainly much more recent. And they were used with the intent of screwing someone.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Jeff P0tter

To me neither would be of interest or value to buy, to some the clubhouse might be worth something. I just wanted to know, for information purposes only, nothing at all to do with value.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Carmelo N.

I go to a game, ask the ballboy if after the game he can get me an autograph. He proceeds after the game into the clubhouse and comes out with a signed baseball.

Assuming we have a "clubhouse" signature, while this baseball may mean the world to me not knowing it is a "clubhouse" sig. The story and feelings mean nothing, once it changes hands it's a forgery.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 AM

No, it's not a forgery. There is precise terminology used by serious autograph collectors. It's used for a reason. Take the time to learn and understand it, and you may actually sound like you know what you're talking about.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
No, it's not a forgery. There is precise terminology used by serious autograph collectors. It's used for a reason. Take the time to learn and understand it, and you may actually sound like you know what you're talking about.
David what is my autograph signed by anyone other than me considered? A fake, a fraud, not authentic, non genuine. If someone handed me a baseball and said hey I signed it with David's name so be happy, I'd say what? I understand what a clubhouse sig is, but I'm my opinion it is simply a forgery that came from within
Old 07-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Steve Zarelli

A forgery is by definition an unauthorized reproduction that is created for fraudulent purposes.

A proxy signature (clubhouse / secretarial) is an authorized reproduction that emanated from a source known by the intended signer.

With historical material (and most other genres of collecting), there is always a clear distinction between forgery and proxy. The terms are not used interchangeably.

Not sure what it is about the sports crowd, but we have seen this same discussion here numerous times where some insist forgery and proxy are one and the same. Perhaps they both have an equivalent level of desirability to some (zero), but that does not make them the same. Words matter.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 07-12-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
A forgery is by definition an unauthorized reproduction that is created for fraudulent purposes.

A proxy signature (clubhouse / secretarial) is an authorized reproduction that emanated from a source known by the intended signer.

With historical material (and most other genres of collecting), there is always a clear distinction between forgery and proxy. The terms are not used interchangeably.

Not sure what it is about the sports crowd, but we have seen this same discussion here numerous times where some insist forgery and proxy are one and the same. Perhaps they both have an equivalent level of desirability to some (zero), but that does not make them the same. Words matter.

Just my opinion, I'm familiar with both terms. For me an auto in the hand of anyone other than the person implied is an imposter/ forgery.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

+1

It's surprising how many collectors can't grasp the difference or don't care, even when it's spelled out very clearly as you have done. But I guess that is why forgers can get away with adding their work to team balls - worst that can happen is the AH describes them as secretarial, and collectors who don't care about the difference buy them as such. Best case is JSA or PSA authenticates them as real.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Ok I really did not want to bring this up. Most of you know ball players are sent cards to be signed and then placed into a pack. I know for a fact that one of those players had his brother sign all the cards.
What would you call that. I think Ken Golden has heard about this as well.
Remember these cards are being sold as being an authentic autograph.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Chris B.

Quote:
Ok I really did not want to bring this up. Most of you know ball players are sent cards to be signed and then placed into a pack. I know for a fact that one of those players had his brother sign all the cards.
I was told by an NHL player who played in the mid to late 90's that Classic gave him a bunch of cards to sign at the draft. It was him, his girlfriend and a few friends signing them in the hotel room. There is 6 of them on eBay right now.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyygameused View Post
Just my opinion, I'm familiar with both terms. For me an auto in the hand of anyone other than the person implied is an imposter/ forgery.
And, of course, your opinion is just as good as fact.

We live in a country where stupidity and ignorance are prized, and an education is something to be derided. It's no wonder then that one would continually, consciously, and most of all, proudly, ignore important distinctions.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

..and I am at a bar that does not have popcorn...ratz

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM

I don't think it's gonna be like getting into an argument with you, Scott. I think you and I are a bit more evenly matched.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
The signature is a proxy.

However, the player committed fraud if he entered into a contract to provide authentic autographs, and he provided proxy signatures instead.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

How much was the seller asking for it?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
The signature is a proxy.

However, the player committed fraud if he entered into a contract to provide authentic autographs, and he provided proxy signatures instead.
Now it is proxy. He did just what other players have done over the years. They where paid to sign and they had some one else do there job. If you want some of the most famous players in the history of sports to go to jail I am with you. Let us throw HOF baseball football and basketball players in for fraud.

What if I where to tell you that the company knew that it happened and did nothing. I know for a fact at least a dozen or more players did what I said. It was a joke. Just like auto companys cheaper to let people die than to spend the money to what is right.
People own autographs signed from sisters brothers and friends. They belive there authentic because companys say they are good.
Just remember the HBO special. One card sold for 80,000 dollars because UD said it was good.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
And, of course, your opinion is just as good as fact.

We live in a country where stupidity and ignorance are prized, and an education is something to be derided. It's no wonder then that one would continually, consciously, and most of all, proudly, ignore important distinctions.
David I respect you as a collector, and would hope you value my opinion as much as I'd value yours. I'm just not a fan of the term "clubhouse" if a signature is not authentic, it's not authentic. Just one mans point of view, I am not attempting to persuade anyone to think alike.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Carmelo N.

Hostility runs rampant on this forum I see

Last edited by Nyygameused; 07-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Hostility runs rampant on this forum I see
You are participating in a forum where people who know a lot more than you are giving you a free education. A better response would be "thank you".

Last edited by Runscott; 07-13-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Richard Simon

I was told this story by a friend so it is an anecdote but I think it is true.
A famed former player, a very controversial well known player, agreed verbally to a deal to sign 1000 autograph pieces for $5000 for someone he was friendly with. This guy was a photographer whose work was used by the card companies. (this incident took place quite a few years ago).
The guy shows up the next day lugging 1000 photos , balls, cards, etc.
He goes into the clubhouse to meet the player and the player arrives with two other people. The three of them sit down and start signing the players name.
The photographer is taken aback and after a few minutes he says "wait a minute, I paid you (pointing to the player) to sign, not these guys." The former player says, "don't worry, these guys can write my name as good as I can." The photographer keeps complaining, the former player throws the pen down and says "f--- this, I don't need this s--t" and he gets up with his guys and leaves.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Guys, Guys, Guys, Calm down.

Look, NO ONE is saying that a proxy signature is authentic. What is being said is this..
There are 2 different categories of unathentic autographs
1) Name signed by a person unknown or unathorized by the person whose name is being signed is a forgery. This auto is not authentic and illegal as the intent of signing the item is to defraud a purchaser out of money.

2) Name signed by a person who is authorized by the person whose name is being signed is a proxy. This auto is not authentic and not illegal with one exception, that I can think of. The reason it isn't illegal most times is that there is no purchase or money exchanged. A ball boy who signed a team ball for Ruth didn't do it so the kid getting the ball would pay more for it, but, more likely, to save the Babe some time or if the Babe had already let the clubhouse or if the Babe was "indisposed".
2a) The one exception is the one that has been described by others already. If the named person(player/celebrity) is being paid, by anyone, to sign items and tells, or pays, someone else to sign the items being paid for, and then represents to the party who is paying for them that he signed them all, then the named person is the one who committed fraud. I guess the person who signed the items could be held as an accessory to the fraud if they knew, but I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for sure.

All the scenarios above result in autographs that are not authentic.
All the scenarios above result in autographs that may not be considered collectible by the autograph community.

The point being made by David, Steve, and Scott is that proxy sigs and forged sigs are different, even though both are not real.

Carmelo,
The reason you've received hostility is because you are kind of making up rules. What you are saying is like walking up to an animal expert and taking, and then refusing to budge, the position that Polar, Brown, Black, and Pandas are all the same, to you, because they are all bears. While it is true that they all are bears, it doesn't mean that there aren't real differences between them. It also doesn't mean that you want to get caught alone in the woods with any of them.
Same thing goes for proxy vs forged autographs. Both are not authentic, but there are real differences between them. This doesn't mean you want to collect either of them.

Shelly,
No one is saying what those players did is legal or right. What they did, in fact, is probably illegal. If the card companies are paying them to provide their own autographs and they provide something else, I think that would definitely be considered defrauding the company who paid them. The only difference is that the autos signed by the other people are defined as proxy signatures, because the player asked the person to sign it in their place.

Best to all,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-13-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Extremely well put, Mark.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
You are participating in a forum where people who know a lot more than you are giving you a free education. A better response would be "thank you".
Yes Scott, I bow down to everyone and their memorabilia wisdom and holiness.

Last edited by Nyygameused; 07-13-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Mark, yes they broke every rule and yes the company should have done something to them.
That is why I tried to make it clear to the people on here that the companys did nothing. They packed up the cards and sold them to the public as authentic even when they where told what happened.
My question then becomes if the company knew that they where selling a proxy signiture does it then become a forgery because the company knows its not authentic.
It Sunday the world cup is not on yet I just want to kill some time
Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Carmelo N.

Totally agree mark, thank you.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes Scott, I bow down to everyone and there memorabilia wisdom and holiness.
And here's a free grammar lesson, too: It's "their," not "there."

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-13-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
And here's a free grammar lesson, too: It's "their," not "there."
And an eye test for you sir, edited at 2:28.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:38 PM

That's why I quoted you in my post. There's your error, appearing for all eternity.

Now, who needs that eye test?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
My question then becomes if the company knew that they where selling a proxy signiture does it then become a forgery because the company knows its not authentic.
Hmmm. Good question.
The autographs were done with the knowledge of the person who is supposed to be signing, so it is still a proxy signature, BUT the entire situation is fraudulent. I think it could even be illegal as the card company is hoping to entice buyers to purchase packs to get an authentic autograph. If they KNOW the auto isn't authentic, I would think that would be fraud and illegal.
If the card company paid a third party to sign a bunch of cards, without informing and getting the player's consent, those would be forgeries and also fraudulent and illegal.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
That's why I quoted you in my post. There's your error, appearing for all eternity.

Now, who needs that eye test?
Appearing for all eternity? I would say your a funny guy but I prefer dry humor.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, Shelly. A proxy is a proxy. If it was authorized by the (supposed) signer it is a proxy. Period. But in the case where the "signer" was paid to provide a genuine autograph, but did not, fraud was committed. (But not by the person who put pen to paper, as in the case of forgery.)

It's really not very difficult.
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Yes Scott, I bow down to everyone and their memorabilia wisdom and holiness.
Keep going - I think there are still a couple of forum members you haven't yet gotten wise with.

Quote:
Appearing for all eternity? I would say your a funny guy but I prefer dry humor.
Evidently you don't understand dry humor.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
And here's another grammar lesson for ya (before you go back and fix things): it's "you're."

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-13-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Evidently you don't understand dry humor.
Yes sir I agree.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
And here's another grammar lesson for ya (before you go back and fix things): it's "you're."
Introducing professor david atkatz.............

Damn I should have capitalized his name......... Oh well
Old 07-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Keep going - I think there are still a couple of forum members you haven't yet gotten wise with.
Not the first time I've been called a wise guy.