NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default How's this for some timing?

Posted By: Joann

There are three M101-5 Babe Ruth's that all listed on ebay today between 12:09 and 14:41. The top one on the list (latest listed) is the real one. Literally the third line down from that is the reprint being sold as a reprint, and two lines down from THAT is a reprint being sold as real.

Kind of like the planets aligning or something. But there all three are, within six line items of one another. Here is where my sympathy for the three bidders on the reprint-being-sold-as-real falls off the cliff. They have both a real one and a reprint being sold as a reprint right there on their screen to compare - no research, nothing - they are all right there on the same page. You might think they would even do a casual comparison.

As to the seller - I may be a sucker, but I kind of think he thinks it's real. Not so much for the 'family crisis' story - that's odd. But good feedback, and lots of scans, larger view option, etc.

Joann

Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The authentic one (PSA-6) is a scam, it is another auction with a stolen scan. The girl buys a ton of makeup and DVDs and hasnt sold a thing in the past. These cons are getting greedy, they sure pick big $$ cards to try there scams lately.

Frank

Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Wow. I didn't even pick up on that. I was just noticing the proximity of the three and thinking two good, one not. So it's one good, two not (defining a reprint being represented as such as 'good'). That's pretty discouraging, when you think about it.

Joann

Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

None of the M101-5 Ruth auctions are good, all are bad.

1.There is the reprint (12:09) doctored to look old, being sold as authentic.
2.There is a reprint (12:39) being sold as a reprint.
3.Then there is the authentic one (14:41) that the seller doesnt own (stolen scan).

In case you didnt know........The beat up one (12:09) is a reprint, look at the distance between the photo and the thin black line around the photo, then compare it with the scan of the PSA-6 one. These reprints are commonly sold on ebay as authentic. The gap between the photo and the thin line is at least 3X too wide.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

)))) Thanks Frank. I did pick out the doctored up reprint being sold as real. I think that means I'm learning (and that with M105-5's the differences are fairly visually obvious). The one I counted as good was the reprint that was being sold as a reprint - well, at least as a 'reissue'. It didn't say reprint in the title, but at least made it clear in the description.

To be honest, it is a little discouraging on the human nature front. Three Ruths and two are scams. The only one that's honest is the guy that's selling a $5 card and admitting that it's a $5 card.

I occasionally email links to this board and different ebay auctions for fakes/reprints, etc to my sister. I told her tonight that we must have lived a very sheltered life, because I am still always surprised when people turn out to be crooks!

I would NEVER have caught the Avon Lady selling the card she didn't own. lol. Thanks for your help and insights.

J

Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

More and more, I'm putting together a list of "known" folks who conduct business. It's not worth even taking a small risk on an unknown.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

http://www.caramel-cards.com/reprint1.html

Edited to correct typos unless otherwise noted.