NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Default 1916 H801-9 The Globe

Greetings fellow pre war collectors. I was wondering if we have any experts on the 1916 H801-9 cards that have The Globe advertising on back. Any information on rarity in comparison with other add backs would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas
Richard
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I would put them a bit over the middle, not real tough but not common if you are just looking for a type card. Now if you are looking for a certain player or working a team set, then very hard to impossible.

Here are the pop reports (many still not graded but gives you an idea vs the most common and one of the hardest ones, remember 200 cards in the set.

M101-4 SN Blank Back- (PSA 1579 + SGC 499 ) = 2078 Total Graded
The Globe- (PSA 59 + SGC 154 ) = 213 Graded (just over one sets worth)
Mall Thearter- (PSA 0 + SGC 5 ) = 5 Total Graded
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Pretty tough

1916 Globe Clothing Stores H801-9/M101-4

1916 Globe Clothing Stores H801-9/M101-4
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Todd Schultz

IMO, Globe is the Fifth/Sixth easiest ad back or 13th/14h toughest, depending on your point of view. The most common ad backs are TSN and Famous & Barr, then Standard Biscuit and Herpolsheimer with Weil Baking and Globe closer to that latter group than the next toughest, which is Indy Brewing. After that, they become noticeably tougher.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Default 1916 The Globe Backs

Greetings, thanks for the info. I thought they were much tougher then implied here. I personally don't rate strickly on what has been graded since I think there are some BIG old timers collections that have mostly raw cards. I myself have more raw then graded in my collection. Just an observation. Thanks for the responses and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
Richard
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Tony Ooten

According to old cardboard's relative population estimate % among sponsors of M101-4/5's

Blank 40%
SN 20%
F&B 12%
std biscuit 6%

then all at 2%:
Globe, Gimbels, Herpolsheimer, Indy Brewing, Morehouse Baking, Ware's, Weil Baking.

of course the oldcardboard info references Todd, so...............
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Tonyo, thats very interesting. I would imagine that certain cards are more difficult within this Globe set especially Hall of Famers which are retained in collections more then the commons.Thanks for your comment.
Merry Christmas,
Richard
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
According to old cardboard's relative population estimate % among sponsors of M101-4/5's

Blank 40%
SN 20%
F&B 12%
std biscuit 6%

then all at 2%:
Globe, Gimbels, Herpolsheimer, Indy Brewing, Morehouse Baking, Ware's, Weil Baking.
Ah yes, I remember that part of the project. Tim and I wrestled with those numbers and I didn't really want much emphasis put on them for a few reasons. First, it is tough to gauge relative scarcity with precision. We wanted to show that a blank back is 2 times less scarce than a card with TSN (probably a little more, and Sporting News is 10X easier (or more) than many of these other backs, but everything needed to add up to 100% and if we started splitting things too fine you got numbers like Globe 2.65% Gimbels 2.13% etc. such that, to me anyway, connotes that we spent much more time and had much more data than was truly the case.

Second, all advertiser backs combined are still so much less than what you see in T206 that it doesn't take much to upset the hierarchy. This year, for example, there were 300 or so different Famous & Barr auctioned within a few months, making it now just about as common as Sporting News, certainly moreso this year. There are that many Sweet Caporals in the market at pretty much any one time for T206 collectors, but this was a significant swing for m101 cards. Also, there were about 200 Herpolsheimers auctioned at once, and while that set was always relatively common, such a number would seem to spike the numbers dramatically--EXCEPT that 95% of those were sold as one lot--a near set that may not be broken up or otherwise see the market for years.

Condition enters into population with some folks too, myself included. There have been dozens of Holmes to Homes card graded somewhat recently, which would spike the pop and presumably move them down from what most would concede as being near the top of the scarcity list. However, virtually all if not all of them have back damage and are graded 1 or A. To me, this leaves the scarcity issue about where it was, because I don't want one with paper loss (almost all were glued in an album), especially as the back is the desirable/scarce characteristic. This happened a few years back with Indy Brewing too, where a near or entire set was broken up, but all had been badly damaged from water--supposedly left in the rain where they "congealed" as a group and stuck together. True that's nearly 200 in pop, but they were not widely sought and are fugly IMO.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but just wanted collectors to not get too worked up over the scarcity percentages listed on Old Cardboard for these m101 issues. They are for the most part accurate, but were never intended as gospel and have changed over the four plus years since we studied them.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-19-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: obvious mistake--blank backs are the most common by far
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Sorry for the long-winded reply but just wanted collectors to not get too worked up over the scarcity percentages listed on Old Cardboard for these m101 issues. They are for the most part accurate, but were never intended as gospel and have changed over the four plus years since we studied them.
No that's very interesting and thanks much for expounding!

I really like the set, just wish there were more affordable/available.

I think I have 2 blank, 1 globe and 1 F&B among my types.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Todd, I also would like to thank you for taking the time to explain that more clearly. I agree 100% that condition is key especially for back damage on these rare backs. I picked up a Maranville SGC 85 with The Globe back. This is the only one graded but God knows how many there are in collections that have not been graded. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And to add a few thoughts of my own as I think I was one of the old crew who actually cared about the backs, back in the day ...well, at least about 15 years ago. I have actually seen more blank backs than SN backs. That aside there are a few different Everybody's and Gimbels backs, that have a different type printing, which I would put in the most scarce category. And with everything seen over the last few years I am not sure Gimbels isn't currently near the top of the toughest back list. The chase is half the fun. This grouping isn't complete but it's close...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm101backsmaster2.jpg (80.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Wow. Leon, thanks so much for posting those backs. I have never seen many of them. I think I only have F & B, The Globe, SB, and SN backs. I may have Tribune back also. I hope Santa brings me some vintage baseball cards for Christmas.