NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default Manontherock online auction...........

Posted By: ScottIngold

Dont know if anyone is aware. But Manontherock (from ebay ) is starting his online auction soon. I believe the end of this month. Details are on Charlie's site. Looks like some really neat stuff.

http://www.manontherock.com/

Just a heads up for any who are not aware.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Many cards are "+++" for the grade too...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

"+++" = three-grade bump

Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

Have a great auction! Great cards!

Old 05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This is one jerk's auction I won't be spending any of my money on. I'd spend my money with Fritsch before this wanker, and I don't care much for Fritsch.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Really nice cards. Good luck on the auction.

Jay, Do I sense some hostilities? Please explain before I bid on some of the cards. Bad dealings or a dislike for the person? Joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Do a search for his posts here on the board. Zach also a run in with Charlie at the same time on the board.

the guy may be a dealer good inventory and reputation, but personality goes a long wy in getting my business and Charlie's conduct and demeaning attitute towards myself others will keep from ever spending a dollar on any card he sells. This is same reason I do not do business with Fritsch. My first dealing with Fritsch in 1980 was unpleasant and nothing he ahs done since then has convinced me I should ever buy a card from him.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I have had several transactions with Charlie in the past and all have been very good. He has always treated me fairly and I highly recommend him.

I guess everyone has different experiences. Just thought I'd give my input.

Richard

Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

That's surprising to me. I had one order with Charlie about a year ago, and it went off very well. Despite not getting his hoped price at auction, he still gave me some bonus cards.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Has some really nice stuff.
The +++++++++++ are abit much. I have had one transaction with this fellow and it went ok.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Charlie is the guy that came posting an e102 Cobb in the main forum to sell the card under the guise off show and tell. Things degenerated from there when he got called out on it.

Jay

Old 05-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Ive also had several deals with charlie and found him to be pleasant and easy to work with.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I have purchased cards from Charlie and sold cards to Charlie. All the transactions have been smooth and Charlie has always treated me fairly. There are a lot of nice cards on the website and I wish him the best of luck.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Administrator

I have spent some serious money with charlie and everything went off without a hitch. The one issue i did have was left in my hands to decide how to deal with. Charlie has shown himself to be one of the more honorable dealers in this hobby.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Surprisingly I agree with Jay. If Fritsch and Manontherock were the only dealers I could buy from I would collect coins.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

My memory could be playing tricks on me so at Charlie's request I will delete my post.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Mark,

Wow!! Thats a low blow. Quite the opposite. I was talking about other alleged doctors and was told to delete the posts do to the sensitivty of the issue.

I don't think erasing a pencil mark is a bad thing but I have and will never alter a card. I will however submit and resubmit cards to obtain the most favorable grade because I think grading is subjective.

As for Jay well, I think Jays record on this board is well documented. I wish he would get over it. I made a rookie mistake and posted a card that belonged in the B/S/T category. But I also felt he and Zach went over the line pounding that point home.

Anyway, I hope that is behind us and I hold no hard feelings.

Lastly, If I was doctoring cards the last thing I would do is represent them in my own auction. I would do would all the other doctors do, sumbit them anonymonously in other peoples auctions.

I have nothing to hide and stand by everyone of my auction lots 100%. And I also do not feel bad when I get a card upgraded because many cards that I submit for an upgrade don't get the upgrade and cost grading fees not to mention those that go down in grade or won't ever grade again.

Please feel free to email me regarding anything

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

charlie,
thanks for responding.
who told you to delete the posts?
regards,
andy

Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

How much did your E102 Cobb PSA 6 go for on ebay? I don't remember the price, but looking at the PSA 5 and PSA 4 in the recent Mastro/REA auctions, I think your 6 probably went cheap relatively.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Spencer Wolff

I have had only good experiences with Charlie. I have purchased several '14 Cracker Jacks from him, he was willing to work with me on price for several HOFers in PSA 4. Good man if you ask me.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

King -

I think it was an E92 Crofts Candy, not an E102. It sold for 15k in December.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Charlie, I am over it, but I won't forget it. You are the businessman and the ball is your court to rectify the errors and ill will that you created. Until such time, I will never purchase a card from you and make sure that others know that I think you are jerk. That's what I can do as a consumer.

And please don't pass off that Cobb thread as a rookie mistake. You knew full well what you were doing and try to play it off as if you are an ignorant bumpkin. The reason you got blasted by me and Zach is because of your underhandedness and the way you reacted when go called on it.

As for my track record, no I am not liked by everyone, but I am respected. I've gotten a number of emails asking me for more details about why dislike you so much. I dislike you for personal reasons, but I've gotten emails from a several others that that have very serious questions about your business practices. I cannot say anything about that since I have no experience with it, but there are those out there that won't buy from you because of it.

Jay

Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I am not perfect it is possible over the 4,000 plus transactions I had as a seller on ebay, that someone may have been disappointed with the service. However, they never used the feedback system to voice there displeasure because I never have received a negative transaction. If there are people out there that had bad experiences with me please identify yourself in a pleasent way and we can make things right.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I can vouch for what Jay just said. I DON'T like him but I respect him. Hahahahahaha... time to lighten this up...

Ok Jay, maybe I like you but then that would mean that I probably have no respect for you... but that whole William Orsatti thing has got me wondering about your sanity...

Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

+++

Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Andy,

Honestly I do not recall the exact circumstance. I am really not an expert and was merely talking and corrensponding with others about things we have heard through the grapevine. I do not know for sure any particular person who alters cards, but I do know many who I am sure do not. And that is what I was trying to bring to the forum during those emails.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Brian,

The +++'s are gone. Old ebay habits die hard. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. It took forever to remove them.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Charlie has been emailing me to try and make things right. He gets major props for that.

Jay

Old 05-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I have done several deals with Charlie and he is one on the nicest guys you will ever want to meet. I was the person who introduced him to the Vin54 board last summer, which he never knew about. He made a rookie mistake by posting the E102 Cobb for the purpose of advertising his sale. And you guys blasted him and it went way to far IMO. He learned his lesson and I am sure he won't do it again. Before that he contributed to this board often and was an active poster and since he no longer participates on the board, I am sure he watches but does not post. Because a few of you go a little strong on people you scare them off and they no longer or are afraid to post in fear of your retaliation. IF some one screws up an admin should step in and warn the person of the rules violation and lock the thread and put a quick stop to situation. THis is suppose to be a forum for everybidy and if people feel the hostility here they won't be active. Give people a chance and if they mess up they get warned, if they continue then blast away. If this was a friendlier atmosphere I think more people would contribute and we will all be better off for it.

Just my thoughts,

Robert

Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

charlie,
honestly, your response doesn't hold a lot of water.

you deleted posts in a previous thread. another board member said those deleted posts were in regard to you altering cards and receiving higher grade because of the "handy work".
your response was that you were told to delete the posts because of the "sensitivity" of the issue. now you cannot recall who told you to delete them?

Old 05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Andy,

You are digging for something that is not there. I could tell you privately who I suspect alters cards but like I said, I have no proof just suspicion. I do not think it is fair to name names in a public forum without evidence. I called Mark to ask him to clarify his remarks because I do not recall saying anything he said I said, other than we were debating whether removing pencil marks was alteration and I believed that it was not. Along with many others board members.

I am not sure what else I can say to put your mind at ease, I think that the grading companies catch a large percentage of the alteration that goes on, so If you are concerned about it do not by un-graded cards. FYI, I have no ungraded cards in my auction and I have never sold a un-graded card without a 100% guarantee that it would grade or designating it as trimmed or altered.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

Got it off my chest. Deleted post... Best to all.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Paul,

If we are going to clean out the closet. Most of what you said is true. But you did not mention that on my listing it clearly stated no returns on graded cards. I attempted to make the situation right even though I had this policy listed on the site as every other major dealer does because I did not grade the card and certainly did not force you to bid on it and I provide some of the best high resolution scans on ebay.

Anyway, I was surprised to see you take a $200 refund only to resell the card immediately. I sincerely apolgize if this left a bad taste in your mouth and I would try and make it up to you if given a chance.

Regards

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Old 05-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for your posts and explanations. I agree with Bresdo here. I wish some folks weren't so harsh too but this is a very open chatboard, on purpose. Even though some complain about bitching and moaning it seems many of those same folks rarely start a good thread. Instead of being part of the problem, maybe the people bitching and moaning, could be part of the solution. My guess is we have about 100-150 different folks that actually post and there are about 700 that don't post for whatever fear they have. That is a shame.....However, as long as folks put their name by a post they can say pretty much what they want to, per the board rules, and that is not going to change. I don't believe in censorship....unless it becomes detrimental to the board....That is also why I have not accepted any advertisers on the board. Then I could potentially be swayed from saying how I feel or running the board the way it is currently. I am not saying what the future might hold but for now we are what we are.....

Old 05-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Andy,

I agree and most of the time as with Paul, I will accept returns if there is a flaw that was obviously missed.

Charlie

Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

Got it off my chest. Deleted post. Best to all.....

Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Wow,

I am sorry i brought this up. I really was just looking to let everyone know about an upcoming auction.

By the way i believe some have mentioned an issue i had awhile back with Charlie. The problem was taken care of and a full explanation was given........ more than i can say for most large sellers IMHO.

Sometimes this place really sucks. I understand we all can't get along but when one of the good guy's gets trashed..... Oh well.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Administrator

my posts on this matter have been deleted.
regards to all

Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Leowke

His auction looks like one of the better ones, especially for a first try. I have dealt with him and he has been nothing but cordial. The only problem I have with him, is that he has gone way too far in trying to make amends with some of the people who have slammed him on this thread (which he did not even start). Truth be told, those people have only embarrassed themselves. They are the ones who I would not do business with; take some of your own advice Behrens.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

I have bids in on two lots for now...But doubt they will hold till the end.

Looks like it is shaping up fairly well for Charlie.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I have purchased 2 high dollar cards from Charlie with no problems.

Frank

Old 05-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

A "rock" thus man on a rock. Don't mess with him it's like messin with Texas!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

And we know not to mess with Texas... Don't we. (:

Old 05-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Jim, I have no clue who you are, so your lost business won't be missed. Then again, your business won't be missed because I am not a dealer. You obviously don't know the full story behind my, and other's, grienvence with Charlie. I have pointed out that Charlie has made a very nice proposition to try and make amends, which I appreciate. If Charlie and I do meet at a National or other show, I will be more than happy to sit down and have a beer with him.

If MW can call me a dunderhead, among other things, and walk away on good terms towards each other, anything possible. My issue with Charlie certainly isn't anything as serious as the one I have with Rosen who could do only make amends by promising to leave the hobby forever.

Jay

Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

And he's bad, bad Leroy Brown
The baddest man in the whole damned town
Badder than a-old King Kong
And meaner than a junkyard dog

Well the two men took to fighting
(Jay and Zach)
And when they pulled them from the floor
Leroy looked like a jigsaw puzzle
With a couple of pieces gone!