NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Anybody here collect programs?

I guess I am thinking primarily of 1960s AFL programs but really any football program. I have been looking at AFL programs on ebay, and I am absolutely blown away by the art work/graphics. Anyone have any football programs(college or pro) to show?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Todd Tobias

I've had hundreds of AFL programs (mostly Chargers) over the years. Now is a pretty good time to purchase them, at least the Chargers ones. You can not get some early 60s Chargers programs for $25-$50 apiece, when they were in the $200-$300 range a few years ago. The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLfan View Post
I've had hundreds of AFL programs (mostly Chargers) over the years. Now is a pretty good time to purchase them, at least the Chargers ones. You can not get some early 60s Chargers programs for $25-$50 apiece, when they were in the $200-$300 range a few years ago. The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
I may try and make some offers. Many prices are still in the stratosphere.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
The price on Chargers stuff has taken a huge hit since the move.
This is such a bizarre situation that I can't wrap my head around it. I would think vintage Charger stuff from San Diego would go UP in value after a move.

What do you think caused this, Todd? Local collectors fed up with Spanos?

jeff
Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Todd Tobias

Yes. So many people have just said "screw it" to the entire franchise. Spanos was certainly the source. It's a shame because the team actually has great history despite not winning a Super Bowl. But Spanos just absolutely killed the fan base.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Yes. So many people have just said "screw it" to the entire franchise. Spanos was certainly the source. It's a shame because the team actually has great history despite not winning a Super Bowl. But Spanos just absolutely killed the fan base.
Even for a life long fan outside of the west coast, it is all unsettling. I even have read talk about totally rebranding the team when the new stadium opens. If that happens, I am done. I would still collect the team from a historical perspective, but my ongoing fandom (lukewarm as it currently is) would end. It is all totally unnecessary. This franchise has a rich and colorful history and has had some wonderful teams, players, and coaches! The current ownership (I won't even use the name) is just about the worst in all of professional sports history! We need someone to come riding in on one of those white Charger horses depicted on the early 60s programs to save the day!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM

1933 Championship signed by Michael Moran, on Flickr

Last edited by revmoran; 09-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 PM

Old 09-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Jeff P

Great programs, Mike! That autographed NFL Championship program is one of my favorite items of yours. That is just an incredible piece.

jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are some sweet programs!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:44 AM
Jeff P

I don't think most collectors realize how difficult it is to find NFL programs from the early 1920s. I've never seen a 1920 program in person but have seen images of one or two of them so they do exist. Here are my earliest ones.

This one is my NFL program pride and joy!

If you're not familiar with the Nesser brothers, look'em up. They were football royalty between 1900 - 1925.

This 1922 program is cool not just because of the year but because there was a loose leaf flyer in it advertising an upcoming game with one of Thorpe's teams.

The advertisements in old programs are interesting to look at as well. Lots and lots of cars being advertised.

jeff
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Cool stuff, Jeff. Thanks for sharing those.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Mike

Nice programs! I have a 1968 Jets program. I'll see about posting a pic within the next couple of days.

Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM

These last three programs were all on or following fateful days in American History

Last edited by revmoran; 09-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Casey Moore

Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 AM
Jeff P

I like your "fateful day" series, Mike. Definitely an interesting set of collectibles with historical significance. Do you have other dates you are looking for programs to add to this collection?

Love that Olympic program, too, Casey. The colors on the front are spectacular.

jeff
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I like your "fateful day" series, Mike. Definitely an interesting set of collectibles with historical significance. Do you have other dates you are looking for programs to add to this collection?

Love that Olympic program, too, Casey. The colors on the front are spectacular.

jeff
I did intentionally search for those three - the last program was the only game cancelled - but I found this list if someone wanted to take that angle

Here is the list of NFL games that have been postponed/delayed since 1987 and the reasons for them. There are natural disasters, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and a stadium conflict, but not snow ...

-- October 26, 1987 – Denver at Minnesota game of October 25 switched to October 26 in Minnesota due to Minnesota Twins playing seventh game of World Series at Metrodome in Minneapolis on Sunday, October 25. Vikings won 34-27.

-- October 22, 1989 -- New England at San Francisco game of October 22 switched from Candlestick Park to Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto due to Bay Area earthquake of October 17. 49ers won 37-20.

-- October 18, 1992 -- New England at Miami game of September 6 switched to October 18 in Miami due to aftermath of Hurricane Andrew on August 25. Both teams originally had bye weeks on October 18. Miami won 38-17.

-- October 27, 1997 – Chicago at Miami game of October 26 switched to October 27 in Miami due to Florida Marlins playing seventh game of World Series at Miami’s Pro Player Stadium on Sunday night, October 26. Bears won 36-33 (OT).

-- September 11, 2001 – Week 2 of the NFL schedule was postponed on September 13 after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. On September 18, the NFL re-scheduled those games. The second week of the season would be picked up in Week 3, and the original Week 2 games would be played on January 6-7 as the final Week 17 of the season.

-- October 27, 2003 – Monday night game of Miami at San Diego on October 27 is switched on October 26 to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona due to Southern California wildfires. Chargers’ Qualcomm Stadium was being used as an evacuation area for San Diego residents. Miami won 26-10.

-- September 11, 2004 – Tennessee at Miami game of September 12 (season opener) switched to September 11 in Miami due to approach of Hurricane Ivan. Titans won 17-7.

-- September 19, 2005 – NY Giants at New Orleans game of September 18 (Saints’ home opener) switched to September 19 in New York at Giants Stadium due to damage of Superdome following Hurricane Katrina. Giants won 27-10.

-- New Orleans Saints, 2005 – After playing home opener in New York (see above), New Orleans split remainder of home games between Alamo Dome in San Antonio, Texas or Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. All seven games played on originally scheduled date.

-- October 21, 2005 – Kansas City at Miami game of October 23 switched to October 21 due to impending landfall of Hurricane Wilma. Chiefs won 30-20.

-- October 26, 2008 – Cincinnati at Houston game of November 9 switched to October 26 due to schedule restructuring (see below) following damage to Reliant Stadium from Hurricane Ike. Cincinnati’s bye was moved to Week 10 (Nov. 9) as a result. Texans won 35-6.

-- November 9, 2008 – Baltimore at Houston game of September 14 (Texans’ home opener) switched to November 9 due to damage of Reliant Stadium following Hurricane Ike. Both teams had byes in Week 2 (Sep. 14) as a result. Ravens won 41-13.

-- September 12, 2010 – Denver at Jacksonville game of September 12 (2010 Kickoff Weekend) delayed 33 minutes due to lightening over stadium. Jaguars won 24-17.

-- September 13, 2010 – Baltimore at NY Jets game of September 13 (2010 Kickoff Weekend; Jets first game in New Meadowlands Stadium and first MNF game in history of facility) delayed 15 minutes due to lightening over stadium. Ravens won 10-9.

-- October 11, 2010 – Minnesota at NY Jets game of October 11 (MNF game) delayed 45 minutes due to lightening over stadium. Jets won 29-20.

-- December 13, 2010 – NY Giants at Minnesota game of Sunday, December 12 moved to Ford Field on Monday, December 13. The Metrodome’s roof collapsed on Sunday morning under the weight of heavy snow, causing the game to be played in Detroit. On Saturday, December 11, the NFL announced the game would be played on Monday night in Minnesota due to severe weather conditions that produced nearly two feet of snow in Minneapolis, diverting the Giants flight on Saturday to Kansas City. However, the roof collapse early Sunday morning forced the shift of the Monday game site from Minnesota to Detroit. Giants won 21-3 before a crowd of 45,910.

-- December 20, 2010 – Chicago at Minnesota game of Monday, December 20 moved to University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium. After the Metrodome’s roof collapsed the prior week, the NFL announced that Minnesota would host its first outdoor game in 29 years. Over 40,000 cubic yards of snow were removed from TCF Bank Stadium during the week leading up to the game after the facility had been winterized following the NCAA regular season. Bears won 40-14 before a crowd of 40,504.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
That's a great program. The American who carried the flag in the opening ceremonies was F. Morgan Taylor. He and my father were friends and football team-mates at Grinnell College until Taylor won the gold medal for the hurdles in the 1924 games - that took him off the football field. Taylor was also in the 1928 Olympics and is in the Track and Field Hall of Fame.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Jeff P

I only have one program with autographs in it. I've probably shown this before somewhere here but it definitely fits this category.

jeff
Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 PM

The McNally is worth the price of admission - Blood!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Casey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmoran View Post
That's a great program. The American who carried the flag in the opening ceremonies was F. Morgan Taylor. He and my father were friends and football team-mates at Grinnell College until Taylor won the gold medal for the hurdles in the 1924 games - that took him off the football field. Taylor was also in the 1928 Olympics and is in the Track and Field Hall of Fame.

That's great info, thank you for sharing! I love learning about the "forgotten" sports heroes of our past.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Lions Program

One of my favorites....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lions Charity Program.jpg (74.9 KB, 190 views)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Guys, thanks for all the replies and inspiration. Since starting this thread, I have realized a couple of things:

1. I really like programs and would perhaps like to buy some tickets that go along with individual programs.

2. There are a million different programs out there, and I need a focus. While I like AFL and may buy some of those programs, I really like college football and bowl games. Aside from bowl games, I would like to buy programs that are at least semi-connected to some historical event. Those won't be as easy to locate, but perhaps I will get lucky!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Guys, thanks for all the replies and inspiration. Since starting this thread, I have realized a couple of things:

1. I really like programs and would perhaps like to buy some tickets that go along with individual programs.

2. There are a million different programs out there, and I need a focus. While I like AFL and may buy some of those programs, I really like college football and bowl games. Aside from bowl games, I would like to buy programs that are at least semi-connected to some historical event. Those won't be as easy to locate, but perhaps I will get lucky!

Now you're rolling, Robert! Can't wait to see what you pick up.

jeff
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Casey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post

It's definitely fun to chase down the ticket with the program, too!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore330 View Post
It's definitely fun to chase down the ticket with the program, too!

That is a cool piece! It would be fun to buy some older bowl game programs and tickets.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Now you're rolling, Robert! Can't wait to see what you pick up.

jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I am starting to have a better idea of what I think I might want to try. As a kid, I was crazy about the bowl games. Ebay has a great selection of programs and tickets. Is there another good source other than the bay?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

A question that has come up during my AFL program searches: do you care if an otherwise nice program has been three hole punched?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
It sounds like you were very lucky to have sold some stuff off prior to (if memory serves me correctly). Sorry to hear about this though because I know how much the team means/meant to you.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM

Anybody here have a large collection? NFL, college, maybe some other leagues? I'm always trying to track down photos of obscure players and thought maybe someone here may have a collection to pick through.
I've exhausted the internet: team sites, eBay, google, yearbook.com, college digital collections. Not sure where else to look.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I have all the Chargers home programs from 1961 - 1964, except for the Thanksgiving 1964 game (Lance Alworth on the cover) and one or two AFL Championship Game covers. I also have the program for the first game the Chargers played (1960 pre-season) against the New York Titans.

In addition to the Thanksgiving 1964 game, and the AFL Championship Game covers, I'm also looking for a few of the photo covers from 1965 - 1967.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 01-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 AM
$cotty @.utin

A fellow member and I have a large collection for sale. College football, pro-football, college bowl games, NBA, NCAA Basketball....the full mix. Mostly from 1950s-2000. No championship programs, but alot of common, oddball, preseason, and regular season.

We are slowly listing on ebay. What are you looking for?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Steve and Scotty,
Chargers preseason programs are great, both for the player pics and for roster info. I believe I have about 250 more players I need photos of. Like I said, obscure players though. I have a list of names plus colleges and usually years played and I’m seeking photos (either head shots or action shots, whatever is available). These pictures could be taken with a phone and emailed to me. There could be compensation as well (trades, money, we can discuss). I’ll have these pics turned into trading cards for my own personal collection.
As I don’t want to hijack this thread I’ll pm you guys the list I have. This is going to have to wait at least a week though as I’m headed out of town in the morning. Thanks for your interest, message soon.
Allen
Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM

I sent you guys messages though I'm not sure they went through.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 PM

Browns history thru programs.......
!st Browns program was actually a inter-squad game in 1946.....
 photo 1st game ever_zpsmeocypkf.jpg

Browns only preseason game their 1st year in 1946 was against Brooklyn Dodgers...
 photo 1st program_zpsqewiznin.jpg

Browns 1st regular season game ever was against Miami Seahawks
 photo Browns pics 008_zpsvty2hevu.jpg

1946 Brown Championship game......
 photo 1946 Champ. game_zpsovypftds.jpg

1947 Brown Championship game......
 photo Browns pics 005_zpsu6qv3ap4.jpg

1948 Brown Championship game......
 photo Browns pics 006_zpswybl0igf.jpg

1949 Brown Championship game......
 photo 1949 Champ. game_zps0uh6cpsd.jpg

Last game of All America Football Conference was Browns against AAFC All-Star team...
 photo shamrock bowl_zpsfhgkao4d.jpg

Browns 1st game in the NFL was pitted against the NFL Champ Phil Eagles...
 photo 1st nfl game_zps6j8s7twp.jpg

Browns win NFL Championships in 1950, 54, 55, and 64
 photo 1950_zpsnwaxp5e5.jpg

photo 1954_zpsoocm4fme.jpg

photo 1955_zpsxzo5bvx5.jpg

photo 1964_zpsz0rrmhy7.jpg

Only 3 players ever scored 6touchdowns in one game...Browns Dub Jones is one of them
 photo Dub jones 6 TDS_zpsae66kwtg.jpg

1st ever Monday Night Football game.....
 photo 1st mnf_zpssyodvy5z.jpg

Last edited by Showdawg; 01-27-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Jeff P

Impressive collection of Browns programs, Showdawg! The autographs on the front really take those to the next level. Quite a run you have there. Do you collect other vintage Browns items?

I've been trying to snag the 4 AAFC Championship programs for a while now. Have only been able to pick up one so far.

jeff
Old 01-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Sweet Brown's collection! I think programs give such great information about the history of the game - thanks for posting those.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Impressive collection of Browns programs, Showdawg! The autographs on the front really take those to the next level. Quite a run you have there. Do you collect other vintage Browns items?

I've been trying to snag the 4 AAFC Championship programs for a while now. Have only been able to pick up one so far.

jeff
Thanks Jeff and Revmoran...Yes...I collect everything vintage Browns. My collection was featured on the ABC reality show, BallBoys. Here is latest video I shot last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunCgZGL4zQ

Last edited by Showdawg; 01-29-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdawg View Post
Thanks Jeff and Revmoran...Yes...I collect everything vintage Browns. My collection was featured on the ABC reality show, BallBoys. Here is latest video I shot last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunCgZGL4zQ
You should charge admission, Ray! Great stuff.

jeff
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy View Post
Anybody here have a large collection? NFL, college, maybe some other leagues? I'm always trying to track down photos of obscure players and thought maybe someone here may have a collection to pick through....
We've got almost every Bills game programme from the past 45-50 years.
Some AFL and AAFC as well.
None of 'em are for sale, but if you have a list of guys whose photos you're looking for,
let us know, we can look for 'em and scan 'em for you if we find anything.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Abe Kulynych

What a great collection of Browns programs!

I recently picked up a program to the Hail Mary Game, nice addition to my Staubach collection.

Last edited by kid4hof03; 02-05-2018 at 04:20 PM.