NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default What 19th Century Printing Goofs, Oddities, Ad Cards, Proofs or Scrap is out there?

Won this neat little Buchner's Gold Coin in last night's Mile High Auction. It was part of a larger advertising poster and has parts of some thick black lettering on the front, in addition to being handcut.

Kinda made me wonder about 19th century Printing Goofs, oddities, etc... as you really don't hear about them very often. Of course, there's plenty to work with from the early 20th century though. Are there any printing mishaps that happened in any of the big sets out there (OJ, n300, n162s, etc..)? Aside from the rare occurence of one of those OJ Proof cards showing up or the occasional card that was cut off a poster such as this one, you don't see 19th century oddities or printing goofs too often it seems.

I've also owned an n28-ish Ward that was cut off an A36 Advertising Poster as well as a similar card that resembled an n162 Brouthers. So, if nothing else, the 19th century definitely produced a few Ad-pieces/posters that ended up being cut up to resemble individual cards....

Looking forward to some input from you all. Thanks guys....

44594a_lg.jpg
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Brian

I acquired this N162 color error many blue moons ago. It appears that the blue and pink ink were missed in the printing process.

TED Z
Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 PM
David Kathman

This Buchner Gold Coin with similar thick black lettering on the front has been in my collection for about 20 years. Like the one in Mile High (based on the description on their web site), it's the same thickness as a regular N284, with the same back. Who knows, maybe they're from the same advertising piece, though I'm sure there was more than one copy of the poster (or whatever it was).

Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Great cards, guys! Ted, thanks for posting that, I'm really intrigued by cards that are missing color passes like that, terrific card! David, love the colors and the river in the background on the Crane!

Here's the n28-ish Ward I mentioned before....

itnward.jpg
Old 06-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Rob

Default Buchner Gold Coin

Here's another Crane and a Gillespie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buchneradfront717.jpg (65.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg buchnergillespie716.jpg (57.2 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg buchneradfrontb718.jpg (51.9 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg buchnergillespieb719.jpg (48.6 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I have a Kimball champions

"Schloss" with an upside-down back (or front depending on one's perspective ) I acquired while chasing the master set (shamelessly looking for about 10 more cards if you can help)..... I think it puts a nice accent on the set. I also acquired an N28 "proof" card from Leon after an auction to serve along with buffalo bill and annie Oakley as types to represent my sold set. Photoshop not cooperating at the moment.....
With regard to errors, goofs, or scrap like issues exhibited within "N" card groups - they are encountered far less frequently than one would expect - even when accounting for cruder manufacturing techniques and greater age. There were seemingly a LOT of name and identification errors though......
Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Great cards, guys! Ted, thanks for posting that, I'm really intrigued by cards that are missing color passes like that, terrific card! David, love the colors and the river in the background on the Crane!

Here's the n28-ish Ward I mentioned before....

Attachment 236284

So interested to see this as I have a similar one for Tim Keefe. I sent it off to both PSA and SGC hoping to get it identified and slabbed as authentic. Both said same thing: it's authentic, but don't know what it is. So can't slab. Mine is cut a bit narrower as you only see a micrometer of a black border occasionally. My theory is that this stuff is cut from advertising pieces. The advertising pieces often lack the blue litho and had a "card" like the one here in the center with a black border and scenes/verbiage around it
Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

On the "n28-ish" cards, fortunately, I think we know exactly what those are from - the A36 Advertising Poster. Here's a photo of that....

1888AllenGinterAdvertisingP.jpg
Old 06-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
"Schloss" with an upside-down back (or front depending on one's perspective ) I acquired while chasing the master set (shamelessly looking for about 10 more cards if you can help)..... I think it puts a nice accent on the set. I also acquired an N28 "proof" card from Leon after an auction to serve along with buffalo bill and annie Oakley as types to represent my sold set. Photoshop not cooperating at the moment.....
With regard to errors, goofs, or scrap like issues exhibited within "N" card groups - they are encountered far less frequently than one would expect - even when accounting for cruder manufacturing techniques and greater age. There were seemingly a LOT of name and identification errors though......
Both of those sound like great examples! I agree with you, you would think that there would be gobs of issues with 19th century cards, especially given how plentiful OJs are. n28s and Mayos are readily available as well, but it seems like there aren't printing goofs/oddities out of really of these issues
Old 06-27-2016, 06:13 AM

Cool card Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Brian

I acquired this N162 color error many blue moons ago. It appears that the blue and pink ink were missed in the printing process.

TED Z
Old 06-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Scott S

Not baseball, but a boxing proof (with regular version shown; not mine)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n28 proof.jpg (77.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg yb reg.jpg (61.8 KB, 195 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Default although not

t206......I'm going to enjoy this great thread!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Bry@n

Very nice! I was hoping some 19th century proofs would show up, I don't recall coming across any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Old 06-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
That is awesome.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Ken Wirt

My Buchner poster-card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21. Buck Ewing.jpg (79.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
My Buchner poster-card:
Neat card. It reminds me of some of the other ad cut cards we see....which could include E107 type 2, Sf Hess and a few others.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Val Kehl

Here's a couple more N284 Buchner Gold Coin poster cards. Interestingly, the Ed "Cannonball" Crane-Washington is the 3rd example of this card showed in this thread!
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N284 (2) from ad poster - fronts.jpg (76.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg N284 (2) from ad poster - backs.jpg (72.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

N310 uncut strip

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Bry@n

I find it interesting that the majority of these Buchner cards also have the text on the back if they were part of a poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Here's a couple more N284 Buchner Gold Coin poster cards. Interestingly, the Ed "Cannonball" Crane-Washington is the 3rd example of this card showed in this thread!
Val

Last edited by Jobu; 07-01-2016 at 10:24 AM.