NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Cards at the office

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I was looking around today and noticed that I have more cards on my desk than pictures of my family! How many of you keep cards by your computer/workplace?

I have two display shelves full of Colgans and Exhibit cards. I also have cards propped up on some bookshelves full of books that I rarely look at.

Jeff

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

my scanner is at the office and I do a lot of trades/sales on my down time, almost ALL of my collection is at the office (85% of the T205 set - T206, M116) Probably not the smartest thing to have thousands of dollars worth of cards here, but I love looking at them, and lately I have had more of a chance to enjoy them here than I do at home!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

if i left a 1987 topps common on my desk, it'd be gone the next day. so no way i'm bringing in anything of value

Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

public company, fairly open building, ...no way is it safe to have anything valuable around here...that is why I created my website...am still scanning it in so that I can have a virtual tour whenever I want!...can also use the photos for screensavers.

Jeff, sounds like you should just ditch the never-used books and convert the bookcase to a dedicated card display!!! you could probably have them a couple rows deep, standing in holders of some sort.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Same here....no way I could leave cards here at the office. Besides the co-workers, there is a cleaning crew that comes in after everybody is gone at the end of the day.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Ditto. If I can't trust UPS, leaving them in a public building in full sight of public defender clients would be, well dumb.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would definitely keep my cards in the office...if I had a real job

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

my collection http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/

Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Cards at the office?? Wouldn't that be the only reason to own a reprint??? You could display it and if it is stolen, no big deal.

David

PS. How does insurance work (if you have the cards insured to begin with) in that situation?? Are you still covered by your home owners insurance? Does the business you work for cover that??

Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I no longer have an office but, when I did, I kept a bunch of Topps "Finest" cards there, replicas of 50s and 60s cards of Mantle & Mays primarily, the originals of which I had and have at home. In that way, I was able to enjoy a portion of my collection while at work without risk. The cards also at times stimulated discussion with colleagues, some of whom I figure had previously thought we had nothing in common. Mark

Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Shown before,

Old 06-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

I have a framed poster from the Burdick Collection entitled Legends of Baseball, which is a pretty cool item.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Peter, I've got those posters, too. My buddy's company printed them. They're in our little exercise room at home.

In my office I've got some framed uncut sheets of Topps cards from my childhood - 1976, 1979, and 1980. I've got some nice photos of Joe D and Lou Gehrig and a reproduction of a Tuxedo tobacco ad. I've got a 1978 World Series ball autographed by Nettles, and a 1996 Yankees team-signed ball.

But I don't have a giant bag of packing peanuts like Keith, and thus I am jealous.

-Al

Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I know I'm a little late to this party, but we just redid our offices (decorating contest that I started) in the past 4 weeks or so and I didn't have photos. They look like heck - I'm horrible with a camera - but you get the idea. Offices in manufacturing facilities are usually pretty old and outdated (unless, of course, you are at corporate - lol), so it's not a fancy place like some of the other scans I've seen here.

I do lock my door at night now. Other than that I don't really worry about it. If anything gets stolen I'll take everything home and chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.

Interestingly, anyone asking about security/value or whatever is focusing straight on the cards. I tell them I didn't bring in any cards that are worth a whole lot. I don't tell them that the money is on the bookshelf across the room with the women players cabinet photos.

The frames for the T206's, etc, are awesome. They are little 3" square frames that were on clearance. I had to cut out construction paper to get the black backgrounds, but they are perfect. Can't tell exactly from the bad photos, but two are towers that hold 3 pics each, and in the middle a 6-card pyramid.

J

Old 07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Very nice looking office Joanne. I think the frames look great!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Very Nice Joanne.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Watch the light (sun light) on your cards. I don't have the courage to display them like that. Just this morning, I was out on my deck reading the newspaper, and in an hour the paper had changed colors. Just trying to be helpful...

Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Is the black hat in picture 2 a hard hat?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Yep. It's hard hat and meets all of the ANSI Z89 safety requirements. They sell mostly for visitors, office people, inspectors, etc for construction sites. I think they are a bit cumbersome for the guys actually crawling around on the beams, although some do like them b/c it shades the sun well.

The blue welding helmet next to it is responsible for me learning about (and acquiring a taste for) really good scotch. I needed an old version of a current helmet to look at how they had constructed something. I told our Regional Sales Mgr from Texas - an old timer with the company - I'd buy him a shot of really great scotch if he could dig one up (note - offers of great shots or glasses of wine can be one of the best research tools out there!)

He found one from 1997. Since I didn't know anything about good scotch, I had to educate myself before he got into town the next time. I've had worse educational experiences than that. I landed on Oban 14 and just love it. Whenever he's in GR we go out for a shot of Oban if I don't have classes that night.

J

ETA - by the way Gil, that is a great job of connecting the dots and realizing it was a hard hat!