NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Joe

Default The National Thread

I can't make it to The National this year, but looking forward to hearing stories. Please share updates and pictures on your experience and pick ups. Keep 'em coming.....
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Concrete floors with no carpeting, bad concession food, body odor, etc. It's a blast! With that being said, it's always nice to catch up with people I only run into once a year. Although, it does make me harken back to the pre big auction / internet days when it was like going to the hall of fame, but with prices tags. Oh, the good ole days.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Concrete floors with no carpeting, bad concession food, body odor, etc. It's a blast! With that being said, it's always nice to catch up with people I only run into once a year. Although, it does make me harken back to the pre big auction / internet days when it was like going to the hall of fame, but with prices tags. Oh, the good ole days.
Happen to see any nice 50's Hank Aaron type 1 phitos??
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 AM
Rusty Sm0l0v

I was there last night.

Seems to be 80-85% cards and some memorabilia thrown around. Most of the "cool" stuff was sitting at the Auction house displays.

As far as game used, I saw some but not nearly as much as I was hoping for. A few Browns jerseys and a guy that had at least 20 49er jerseys priced at $300 a pop. Not a single Bears game used item.

Always looking for Chicago Bears jerseys!
Particularly jerseys with patches...
Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Disappointing show. Would rank it a 3 on a 1 - 10 scale (in terms of what I collect). Lelands has some great stuff, but prices are double market value, across the board. They are quite adept at swooping up the few quality items that are there early... but subsequent mark-ups put everything out of reach.

Good news is that when the items fail to sell, they'll eventually go to auction (where you can get a second crack at them). Otherwise, it's lots of walking and searching for the very few gems that are there (which are not over-priced).
Old 07-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Mark -- did you find any gems?

Greg
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Here's a video I just found on You Tube taken at the convention yesterday --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adG643BeiSc

Greg
Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Here's a video I just found on You Tube taken at the convention yesterday --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adG643BeiSc

Greg
The stadium chairs at 3:40 looked cool.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Wow Where is the vintage and early memorabilia
Old 07-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Mike H.

There were some nice pennants at the show, but it was short on figural pieces for sure. I was on the hunt for pinbacks. While there were quite a few available, they weren't what I was looking for in particular as a Cubs/Tigers collector. I was able to add a few pieces I really liked and needed however.

This Tigers pin is not particularly old of valuable, but I haven't come across another after years of collecting so I love it
The Ernie Banks pin is not scarce at all, but I've been holding out for a Minty example like this YEAH
The Federals pin was simply a super clean example of a cool pin at a terrific price

This Tigers pin of unknown origin is an elegant piece that, while small (1 1/4"), has terrific eye appeal and will fit nicely in my collection. Oh...the price was terrific as well

My final purchase at the National were these two pins from the 1910 Hermes Ice-cream Pirates set. I have always loved the skull and crossbones and waving pennant motif. These are Exceedingly rare and expensive, so when Tommy Leach and Dots Miller jumped out at me at a bargain price I pounced!

I had a GREAT time at the show and shared many good times and fine dining with my pals.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM

LOVE the Hermes pinbacks Mike!

Greg
Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Mark -- did you find any gems?

Greg
No gems this time, but snatched a few cool pieces. A good show for Pennants, as Mike stated. Will post pics when I get home. As is usually the case, the Show's highlight was the camaraderie, and being with friends I don't see often enough.

A great time, even if the vintage offerings were "light". And some consolation... the upcoming auction previews are amazing!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-01-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
LOVE the Hermes pinbacks Mike!

Greg
+1.

Love the Leach, Mike. Congrats.

Nothing better than a pinback haul from the National.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Joe

Bump...any more updates and feedback to share? Anyone have some pics of any of the vintage stuff?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Thought the show was great! Got the last 4 cards to complete my Diamond Star set - Ducky Medwick, for some odd reason, was by far the toughest to find. The unopened craze still confuses me. And the number of Goudey Babe Ruth cards available (a ton) seemed a little weird in comparison to the very few '34 Gehrigs we saw.

What I really enjoy the most, though, is when a dealer is inspired to explain the history of a card or set or some piece of memorabilia. It's fun to see the passion that so many of the dealers have about their "stuff".

Thought this was an interesting little item (being from Detroit) but not enough to pay the asking price!

And yes, there were pennants - got me some basement art!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great pennant pickups, Scott...

Love em all - especially that Milwaukee Braves variation (a real toughie!)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Phil Garry

Any cool Negro Leagues baseball items at the show? This is my first National missed in the past 12 years so not there to find out myself..........
Old 08-02-2015, 06:37 AM
Mike Kendall

First National I had been to in many years. Saw several pins I was interested in but the prices were out of sight. Even if they came down some, you were still overpaying. That was disappointing. Did find this BF3 type pennant, which is the large premium size, for a reasonable price. Does anyone know how these were distributed? I assume you had to mail something in to receive the large ones, as they are much tougher than the small ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Nice pick-up Mike. That is a type nine bf3 premium. There are only four teams in the type nine set, the cubs,white sox, bees and cardinals. I have only seen two premiums in the set, the managers for the cubs and white sox. My un-educated guess, based on the few premiums I have seen is that they were probably store display pieces, used to advertise the smaller pennants. But your guess is as good as mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large type 9s.jpg (67.5 KB, 370 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Mike Kendall

Thanks Matty39. I never considered the store display theory. Could explain why there are so few of them. Really glad I picked this up. It really looks good along side my smaller BF3s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.8 KB, 341 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Pick this mets moon face off John and Lou @ inside the park collectibles.

Got this orange cubs mini pennant off Rick Haskins to go in my cubs mini pennant collection

Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Jordan Gluck

Two great pickups I love that Mets Nodder
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Joe

For those that were unable to attend, here is a link to photos of Brett's fantastic Play Ok Antiques booth. (Scroll down in the thread to see pics)

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum...hp?f=10&t=5691