NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default Did The Auction House Handle My Complaint Correctly?

I have been doing business with a major Auction House for several years. In fact I have won items totaling $111,000. So, I would say that I have been a pretty decent customer of theirs.

Last week, I won a few graded cards, They arrived in the mail yesterday and one of slabs was broken on the back. It did not break during delivery because it was packed pretty well. I am pretty sure it was broken when they listed it.

Okay, it could happen so I contacted them and asked them what I should do with it. They said mail it back and they will have it reslabbed. They also mentioned that I would be responsible for the shipping costs back to them.

That's when I got all pissed. They sent the damaged merchandise but they expect me to pay for the shipping costs to return this item.

I told them that was a poor response and would probably take my business somewhere else if they don't resolve this.

Am I wrong?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM
pete ullman

I am with you... They should pay.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:41 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Am I wrong?
No.

If I had spent that kind of coin with an auction house, I would expect exquisite service in all aspects.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

They should do the right thing and pay for the shipping. This is beyond dispute. And if they need another reason to act properly, your second sentence says all they need to know: "In fact I have won items totaling $111,000."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Jon Canfield

Guess I'm in the minority here, but paying the shipping costs back doesn't offend me at all (and frankly, I'd expect to have to).
Old 12-17-2014, 05:03 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I have been doing business with a major Auction House for several years. In fact I have won items totaling $111,000. So, I would say that I have been a pretty decent customer of theirs.

That's when I got all pissed. They sent the damaged merchandise but they expect me to pay for the shipping costs to return this item.

I told them that was a poor response and would probably take my business somewhere else if they don't resolve this.

Am I wrong?

Let's see... They brought in $20k in revenue from you and you need to handle shipping costs on a single card. Seems reasonable to me! (Not)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Fred

Howard,

Are you serious? You've spent over $100K with this house in the past few years and they're asking you to pay for shipping? hahahahahahaha... what a bunch of brainiacs.... that just blows my mind.

If I were at the auction house I'd be asking you to "please" send it back so that the card can be re-slabbed and sent directly to you from the TPG, free of charge. I'd also be thanking you for your business and continued support in my business. Ok, I'd be sucking up and kissing some $100K ass...

Direct them to this thread. Holy cow... do they know who they're dealing with? Ok, you wanna out the auction house? I'm sure if you write them a polite email and explain that you're a premium supporter of their business they will review their first response and apologize for even making that request.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Terrible customer service...even if you had only spent $100 with them in the past. Shame on them.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM

They should have paid. If there is every a problem with a transaction good customer or not that cost is minimal. They have likely pulled home 20k in premiums from you, very disrespectful. This isn't so much a money ordeal as principals.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Did you talk to someone with knowledge of your record as a customer, or just talk to some lower level person following s.o.p?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I agree that it's totally principal at this point. Doesn't matter what you spend at the AH, all customers should be treated the same.

This same place has a very bad habit of overcharging on the S/H which I always go along with.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and will not out them until they think over my response.

With so many excellent AH's out there, I really don't want to spend my money there anymore.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Don Hontz

Maybe you should have talked to someone higher up and yes, you shouldnt have to pay for return postage. I am wondering which auction house this is, I also buy from all the auction houses and there is one that is always high on shipping etc. Most others are very fair, Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Staying oN Track with "Principels"...

If they "Might of "Even" of shipped it cracked? Return S/H/I Shouldn't Even be an Issue... And I admit, That I would of Politely offered to Pay for it ~ However, I Certainly Would of Expected Them to countered with, "No Sir, We will be more than Happy to take care of this for You... We Strive on Our Outstanding Customer Service, As You are One of Our Most Excellent Among Them!"

With That Said... I believe that they will see this thread & do the Right Thing!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

There are only 3 options here. It was cracked before they shipped it. It was cracked during shipping. YOU cracked it after it arrived. The first 2 they should cover regardless. So are they really implying that YOU cracked it?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Chris Wood

Wouldn't the AH actually have made $40K in relation to your historical purchases (assuming approx 20% juice on your buys and another 20% from the consigner). Just saying.

Also saying that good customer service should be the focus of any successful business (especially a major AH) and a customer should not have to pay any assorted costs to have a damaged item repaired.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Wouldn't the AH actually have made $40K in relation to your historical purchases (assuming approx 20% juice on your buys and another 20% from the consigner). Just saying.

I don't know of any AH that charges that much at both ends. I assume most net 15-25% combination from buyer and seller.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I don't know of any AH that charges that much at both ends. I assume most net 15-25% combination from buyer and seller.
Here's a big AH that charges up to 34.5% combined:

Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Huggins & Scott charges me 15% to sell and 17.5% to buy. Combined that is 32.5%. I think that is pretty much standard fare. If someone can steer me to someone just as good, yet cheaper, I am all ears!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Rich Klein

Default Howard

Name that auction house in question

Bobby: Have you looked into Leon's and Scott's (B&L) auction site --

Rich
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Name that auction house in question

Bobby: Have you looked into Leon's and Scott's (B&L) auction site --

Rich
They are mostly prewar I thought. Most of my consignments are postwar.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Huggins & Scott charges me 15% to sell and 17.5% to buy. Combined that is 32.5%. I think that is pretty much standard fare. If someone can steer me to someone just as good, yet cheaper, I am all ears!
Either you get a discount or they raised their buyer's premium. I won some items from their recent auction and paid 19.5% buyer's premium. Not complaining because I knew that going in, just pointing out that the combined rate could be as high as 34.5%.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Try Love of the Game. Al is great to deal with. Ditto Lee at Sterling.

As for the AH that wants Howard to pay the shipping, out the bastards already.

FWIW I had a similar experience with Heritage--scratched slab--but they covered shipping and redoing the slab and returning it to me.

ETA: eBay is a completely different story. At least until their latest f*** the sellers rules kick in and force us to pay return shipping.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-18-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Either you get a discount or they raised their buyer's premium. I won some items from their recent auction and paid 19.5% buyer's premium. Not complaining because I knew that going in, just pointing out that the combined rate could be as high as 34.5%.
You are right...I paid 19.5 was well.....I mispoke. So basically, they are getting 34.5%!!!!! Uggggggggggggggggggggggggh!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Jimmy

Talk to them in person with the card in hand at one of the next shows they will be setup at and see if you can work this out - over the phone never seems to work. This way you both can handle the complaint and just maybe the graders will be there as well and you will not have to ship the card back.

good luck

Last edited by jbsports33; 12-18-2014 at 08:59 AM.