NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Collection of 25? Collection of 50? Both!

Posted By: Joann

(Apologies for the lame and old-skool nod to Deion in the title.)

I think I'm about ready to jump back into cards again. I spent years collecting Detroit players from different sets. It was fun filling the mainstream sets, but cards I needed got harder to find so I wasn't buying as often. I really slowed down in 2008 - for a variety of reasons - and for some reason just can't get that excited about dozens of T206 and Obak and E90-1 commons anymore.

I've spent a few months thinking about a Collection of 25 or Collection of 50. I really like the idea of focusing on fewer cards, but couldn't bear the thought of getting rid of all of the Detroiters I spent so much time collecting.

So I'm going to do a Collection of 50 that is two separate Collections of 25. One will be just Detroiters of different types that I will always look to upgrade or replace or tweak, and the other will be "at-large" but more focused on HOF'ers, nicer condition, unusual types, etc.

And as a start to thinking more along the lines of fewer, but more significant, cards I just picked up this beauty that could go into either collection, courtesy of Mr. Dan Koteles:

[linked image]

I will end up selling (or parking for future sale when things pick up) the bulk of my current Detroit collection, but I'm really looking forward to starting to weed out, organize and start shopping after the first of the year.

So to those of you that collect this way, do you really hold fast to the upper limit of 25 or 50 cards that you have set for yourself? Have you had to make any difficult give-ups to stay within your limits? (Just curious - no I'm not alreay looking for ways to end-around the concept! happy.gif) I'm also thinking it will be a more relaxed and thoughtful way of collecting - have you found that to be the case?

J

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

Love the idea, and I've TRIED to do it twice! happy.gif

Problem is this:

1) I love HOF Collections
2) I'm a set collector at heart
3) I'm very active with my collecting....so I get bored with certain collections only getting hit once in awhile.

Can it be done by me? Not sure, but I'd love to hear if anyone is tackling the Collection of 25 or 50 and STILL collecting other things. Sounds tough to me!

PS....By the way, JoAnn....that has to be the nicest looking SGC 30 I've ever seen!

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I have a core collection that I call the Elite 100. These are cards that would be the last to go if I needed to sell. The collection does not include sets though some of the key cards from sets are included. The Elite 100 is now at 123 and paring it down would be very, very difficult.

I like the concept, be it 25, a nifty fifty, or whatever number. It helps in keeping one focused.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

...who are doing this type of collection, how do you determine what you are getting? Do you choose 25 or 50 ahead of time and go for them only? Or do you simply "go with the flow" and collect whatever seems to be interesting to you at the time?

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have given thought to paring the collection down to a set number many times and just have not been able to do it. I think my addiction is too strong to let me do a predetermined number but I applaud those that have the willpower. I think if I had to do that I might just pack it in, but then again, facing not collecting or doing that kind of collecting, I would probably take the former.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

do what i do,if you see a card you like buy it. why put restrictions on your collection.there are too many great players and cards out there.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

I have set limits on the amount of money that I spend per year, the types of cards that I purchase, and many other types of limits, but I haven't been able to adhere to any type of plan.

My new limit is more in the 200,000 card range although I'm looking at a couple of collections this weekend that may once again put me over my limit. sad.gif

Rick

Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I started yammering about a nifty fifty about two years ago, when I decided to pare down my HOF collection in favor of just 50 cards. I think it's a great idea, but it didn't work for me.

I found myself making all sorts of exceptions. Like, "I have an N28 Ward in my nifty fifty, but I just bought an N28 Comiskey, so I'll just take them both OUT of my nifty fifty and start an N28 set instead."

I am in the process of reducing my collection - just sold off a bunch of special cards, and am about to sell of a bunch more. My new goal: small. No limits, no numbers, no restrictions. Just small. I want a small collection.

-Al

Old 11-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Al was the trendsetter who started the whole 50 card phenomenum.

Now everyone is going to to go "small." I like it, Al. The number limit was too arbitrary.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Small is relative. Perfect....I have a small collection and am adding to it to make it smaller. That's some sound reasoning!!...(We can make stuff up as we go)....

Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Good luck with your quest. I keep trying to cut way back but every time I go through my cards to weed some out, I wind up putting them away. I kind of love it all and trying to pick some out to part with is to hard for me. I wish I could though. Frank