NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Even Museums can make mistakes

Last night I went to the Paul Gauguin exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum. They had a line of his 'woodcuts,' but they were lithographs. They clearly weren't woodcuts, ala Harper's Woodcuts. Interestingly, a stranger woman next to me said she noticed it too. A pair of art geeks. I smilingly said to her "Our secret."

Last edited by drc; 02-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Richard Simon

I was at the Americana Museum branch of the Smithsonian in 2007.
They had on display a Brooklyn Dodgers signed baseball, problem was it was signed by the clubhouse attendant.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Nice, but who spotted Gauguin's crapping dog?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Chris Wood

Default It Happens....

The HOF in Cooperstown had a mistake in their online material describing the items on display surrounding Thompson's "shot". They described the bat on display as a LVS when it actually is an Adirondack.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Brock

I don't know whether Ruth still used it, but in the hof they have a display with a Ruth game used bat yet it was a store model.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

When Todd McFarland bought McGwire's 70th HR ball and a lot of other Sosa and Mac HR balls he sent them out on a publicity tour. He had a couple of McGwire and Sosa signed items on display with the balls that were terrible forgeries. I sent his company an email but don't know if they ever pulled them.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

The Hall of Fame runs a film continuously in the Babe Ruth room. They show Babe running around the bases as the narrator talks about his hitting 60 home runs in 1927. The home run trot is not from 1927 though as the Yanks did not have numbers on their uniforms that year.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Barry Sloate

I once went to a museum in Florida that had an exhibit on the history of photography. There was one case that displayed what they called a group of daguerreotypes, but there were clearly ambrotypes mixed in. They are actually pretty easy to differentiate: dags will reflect like mirrors if you shift your angle, and that won't happen with ambros. I wanted to point out the mistake but I figured they wouldn't really care.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM
pariah1107

Went to the small, Roslyn Museum in Roslyn, Washington (better known as the set of the TV's Northern Exposure). Roslyn was the hometown of Jimmy Claxton's father William Edward Claxton (1862-1943). There, they had a couple photos of Jimmy Claxton, and a short biography which explained how he went by the name "Chief Yellowhorse" and pitched for the Cleveland Indians organization. Too many errors to count, it was quite comical.

I made a note of it and gathered some articles the next time I went. A couple of articles which referred to Claxton as "Dark Horse", and of course pointed out that Moses "Chief" Yellowhorse was a "real ballplayer", not Claxton. That took some doing. Also pointed out he only made it as far up as the PCL's Oakland Oaks, yes he played for the Indians, but the Nebraska Indians, etc..

Asked them where they got the information, "out of a book called "Roslyn", by Jaimi Trimble". I checked out the book and sure enough, Cleveland Indians, Chief Yellowhorse, and they only missed the year he passed by 30 years. How do these things get published?

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-24-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarity