NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Trey

Default What Did I Just Buy? - 1891 Beaneaters Photo

I just purchased a 1891 Boston Beaneaters photo and after doing some research I have yet to find this image anywhere online. I was hoping to see if anyone here is familiar with the image or if you think it could be unique.

I've only owned a handful of 19th century pieces, so any advice on how to display, should I have it restored, important things to look for, etc are certainly appreciated.

What I found in my research:

The image is a real photo and quite large. The entire piece measures 14" x 20".

A very similar image (same setting, similar pose) of the 1890 Beaneaters was taken by the same photographer, G Waldon Smith, which can be seen here http://www.legendaryauctions.com/188...lot125565.aspx

In 1891 Smith created a composite cabinet/scorecard which appears to be the last Beaneaters photo Smith puts out. I found a reference to Smith moving to Maine in 1891, which could explain why I can't find another image like the one I just purchased. Perhaps he had plans for the image that never came to fruition because of the move?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am no photo expert, but from what I have seen, photo restoration isn't the taboo thing it is to cards (and which I agree with). As long as full disclosure is made upon change of ownership, then it's a positive for the item. In general photo's are display pieces and I think that might be the reason for the prevailing sentiment. Great item. Congrats....

As just mentioned elsewhere, the only thing left in my collection, the 1903 Horner, has been very expertly, and in the least dramatic way possible, touched up. It has had deacidification done to it and put behind UV protecting glass. I am 100% sure, at least in my mind, it is better with the restoration and preservation than without it. And I didn't even know it was restored when I got it. That is how much I feel about the positive nature of restoration to a photo. Others might disagree.

Last edited by Leon; 05-01-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:21 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If you are planning to display it you should have it restored. The image quality is very nice; it just has some major condition issues. Too bad that Kelly is not in the picture. Since he was on both Boston and Cincinnati of the AA in 1891, that will help date the image.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Barry Sloate

The photo has many problems, among them a bad crack running across the bottom half. By not restoring it, that crack could get worse. Restoration will help preserve it for the forseeable future. It needs a cleaning and a deacidification too.

By the way, G. Waldon Smith is a well known baseball photographer who took great team shots of the Players' League in 1890. Your Boston photo is terrific but it needs some work.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Trey

Thanks so much for the advice guys! It sounds like restoration is probably needed, which I'm certainly willing to do.

I know many of you have had restoration done in the past, I would certainly appreciate any referrals or recommendations.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM
George

Awesome piece congrats! Agree fully with above points on restoration...I have a similar period photo that was in great ship until seller packaged it up poorly and shipped to me. I would have it conserved and then matted/framed in a way to prevent further damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Mark

Nice find. Boston Public Library has 1890 and 1892, but not 1891 I don't think. I'll check further tonight.

Can you post closer views of the other faces (like you did above for the group of 8). Thanks.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Mark

I can't find that image appearing anywhere. The only 1891 Boston image I can find is this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bos NL 1891 73105456.jpg (73.5 KB, 307 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
I can't find that image appearing anywhere. The only 1891 Boston image I can find is this one:
Thanks for helping me research Mark, I was also only able to find that composite. The more I look around the more I think this image may be unique, it's just nowhere to be found. Here are the up close shots you were asking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.9 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Trey

And the last up close shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Mark

Thanks Trey.