NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default How do you collect Old Judges?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Ok, I will admit that Im afraid that if I tell you, you will buy into my wisdom and compete with me for my favorites. But Im realistic enuff to know that there are more ways to collect these cards that are of interest to me. And if I find too much competition in one area, I will shift my focus.

Of course I collect niche sets. As I indicated on another thread, one subniche (how do you like that term?) is the 1884 White Stocking team HR record holders.

It is a subniche because the bigger picture is 1884. And let me tell you just a little about the niche entitled 1884. First off there are all the players from the Union Association:

- Lotsa rookies got their start there. Some were quite succesful in the endeavor of baseball.

- Some of the teams in the UA were very (actually: very, very) short lived, which makes for an assembly of cards interesting to me.

- This is the starting point for the set of players who played in four different leagues. No one has played in 5.

- the Maroons won it in '84, and you can get their cards, well almost!

But that is just the UA (and a simplification of it at that). In addition to the White Stockings socking the ball over the short wall, the pitchers had a totally outstanding year. Just investigate how many won over 40 games that year. Don't miss the strike out totals achieved that year.

Can you collect all of this? Do you want specifics? Rest assured that there is more.

This is one of my niches. How do you collect them?

Edited to add an extra "very"

Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I collect them one at a time, Gil, one at a time.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I would someday like to collect the whole Omaha team, but my focus is elsewhere right now and OJ's are so expensive I can't focus on them at the moment.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Dan: buy 1. In any condition. By the time you splurge on your third, you will know how wise it was to give up a (more than) momentary focus on your primary objective, to buy the first!

They are certainly (at least for me too) one at a time.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Gil, no surprise here, I collect Detroit only. I have 18 different, still some tough ones on my want list. I also have competition from other board members.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I collect Pittsburgh players...in any condition.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I pick up ones I like every now and then based on the image and photo contrast. I just enjoy having a few type examples. Most of mine look ex or better on the front but suffer from back damage that lowers the technical grade.
JimB

Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Well Old Judges can be collected in so many different ways, this is why I love the set. I started out collecting the Des Monies and Toledo players first and then moved onto the imposable player set. I think this set offers so many ways to collect and is the set that does not stop, well until you get down to those very very tough cards that you will never obtain unless you get super lucky or an old time collector decides to sell or God forbid passes away, which in most cases is the latter, as with the tough cards most OJ collectors want to be buried with them. It seems like the tougher and even what use to be easier cards like (spotted ties and Browns champs) have really dried up. It has been a long while seance a nice lot of either cards have come up for auction. I still crawl along on this set but if you are a team collector you can't go wrong with the N172 set unless you collect California teams This set truly is the grandfather of it all!!!

OJ's RULE!!!! (Not OJ!)

Trevor