NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default Public Showings of Your Collection

Posted By: T206Collector

Has anyone ever considered loaning your collection to a local museum, historical society or library for purposes of displaying (not selling) your collection for a period of months? I'd be curious to hear about any experiences Board members may have had in this regard.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I am considering donating my Springfield Rose postcard collection to the Springfield MA Historical Society. In addition to the cards I have several other items that would make a nice display.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I've got some material at the Negro League Baseball Museum here in KC.

Rob M.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have thought about loaning things to Historical Societies, and others, for show, As I collect many baseball pre war things besides cards, part of my concern, if I use cards, is how to avoid fading? Sun is not the only type of light that fades cards, but indirect light, flourescent light, and other types does have a very negative impact on paper. let your newspaper sit out on your deck for 4 hours this summer, and then go take a look at it. This is the one thing that has stopped me. Now, bats, balls, metal objects, aren't so sensitive. Slabs do not filter out UV'S. Maybe PSA should start slabbing with UV filtering plastic ? (kidding)

I am on the board of the Historical Society by the way.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Paul,

Great topic !!! I am considering loaning some Jewish sports memorabilia to my local library for a small window display.

Alan

Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

My mint reprint collection would look great under glass! Glossy and everything!

Seriously, though...wouldn't a reprint collection be ideal for a museum display of "vintage" baseball cards? You would, of course, state clearly that the cards are reproductions of the originals.

John

Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

The framer specifically uses glass that does not fade with time. I wonder if you could get the libraries to use such glass.

Rich

Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

My daughter is a professional framer. Libraries use different glass, tends to be heavier, thicker and shatter proof. Or at least more difficult to break. As they are fearful of liabilty issues, surrounding broken glass, and all it's hellish possibilities. UV glass is very expensive, and breaks easily. Libraries for the most part, can not afford UV glass, and it's breaking problems. There is thicker UV glass that is more shatter proof, but it is ungodly expensive, and most libraries would never get that expenditure through committees and local councils, boards.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

I've been asked and am considering a few possibilities. Among things to think about and discuss with the institution are security, insurance and light pollution. This last one is particularly important as the last thing you want would be for your items to be displayed exposed to sunlight or improper lighting. Don't assume the institution is knowledgable about this issue. You should know what is acceptable to you (i.e., no exposure to sunlight and lighting appropriate to light-sensitive objects) and insist they adhere to it. The security issue involves more than just the type of alarm system they have. Let me give an example. A few years ago the Folk Art Museum in New York City had an outstanding display of baseball folk art objects. For at least one object, I literally saw people going up and touching it. Now if that had been my item and I saw that, I would have gone crazy. That kind of stuff cannot be allowed to happen and it is important you fully discuss the issue with the institution and be satisfied as to their responses.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I hate to be a wet blanket here but consider carefully if you decide to "let the general public know" about your collection. I think it is a wonderful and philanthropic idea to allow your collections to be donated or viewed by historical societies, etc. but in this age of home invasions and thugs breaking in to residences to steal property to be sold to finance drug habits, please consider carefully any noteriety you might get. I have twice turned down requests to have different newspapermen write feature articles about my collection because of apprehension about noteriety. I'd rather keep it a guarded secret to all except friends, family and board members.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I certainly can't disagree with your comments. But i have done many shows at churches, grade schools, rotary meetings. etc, and have never had a problem. During the month of February, I had a TV interview going all month in our metropolotan area, concerning my collection. I did two presentations last Fall. So I guess it depends on your area, and how it is handled. I donate items to charity all the time. last month a donated a bat autographed by Justin Morneau, to our local Rotary fundraiser. Got $525.00 for it. So everyone pretty much knows what my hobby is. The preverbial cat is out of the bag. ButI figure I would rather share my things with folks, rahter than keep them in a deep dark dungeon. But yes, we all must be careful...I don't disagree with that.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Security and insurance are the main issues. My collection takes up one full wall of the largest safe deposit boxes available at my bank for the annual rental fee of $500 per year. It would take a tractor-trailer to transport it. Value is in the tens of millions. Remember what happened two different years at the coin show in Dallas? Collectors bringing in their locked briefcases were robbed by thugs armed with sub-machine guns.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hey George- I noticed in your recent post that your collection is valued in "the tens of millions of dollars." I know pretty much all the biggest collections in the country, and the largest ones I could think of might be valued $5-10 million. Just curious about some of the things you might have. I have never heard of a baseball collection that valuable. How have you managed to stay under the radar?

Old 03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Hey George--You are getting a real bargain at your bank if you can get all the safe deposit boxes on one wall for an aggregate rental cost of $500/yr. Either that or you keep your collection in a really small bank.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with Barry....and although I don't know near as many folks, I have been addicted for 10-11 years. Your collection, George, sounds spectacular. Almost too good to be true. I would love to hear more details...what's in it, how it was acquired etc..Like I say it's almost hard to believe it sounds so great !@!...As for my collection I don't think it warrants too much so have never given it much thought.....a lot of it can be seen on my website anyway....regards

http://www.luckeycards.com

Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I responded to the local newspaper's plea for Lincoln Minor League items - specifically Dick Stuart's Lincoln Chief items for the 50th anniversary last year of Stuart's 66 Homerun season. They used all kinds of my stuff and never once gave me credit. I was hoping they would at the very least thank me and I didn't even get that...after they were done with my stuff they called me and said I could pick the stuff up at the front desk.

A local cable producer used a bunch of my stuff for a show they did on Sherman Field and they gave me credit throughout the show. They got my name from the owner of the Nebraska Minor Leage baseball website and called me up. I was considering loaning my stuff out to the Lincoln Saltdogs for a display at the ballpark this summer, but I am a little apprehensive about that because of the lighting issue. I suppose if the State Historical society were doing a baseball display I would contact them, but there is little interest in baseball in this football crazy state.

A quick note for those worried about lighting....you know those newfangled curly lightbulbs endorsed by Al Gore that last for 5 years and cost about $5 each?? Well those are flourescent lights and are very bad for your collectibles.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Anything Al is for, I'm against.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I've loaned cards to two museums.

First, the Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Louis. This has been a great experience. I gave them a couple of things, loaned several, including cards. Most of the cards they've returned. They still have an Orsatti bat, Pepper Martin's 1934 contract, a game 7 1934 WS ticket, a Metro Studios of Branch Rickey... maybe some more stuff. The Curator there is extremely professional, a pleasure to work with. Each item gets an acquisition number, they take good care of the items. When cards were photographed for a Cardinals book they called for permission first, which I granted, and they attributed credit in the book. They gladly let me see my stuff if I visit the museum. It is great. Other people get to see the stuff, which is what it's really about.

Second experience was with the Louisville Slugger Museum. Again, a fantastic experience. They wanted type cards, which I supplied. DiMaggio had just died, and they used my 1939 Playball in their webpage about the display. The curator there was polite, intelligent, and wanted to understand the cards. They took care of the cards and I'd loan them out again if they asked. To my surprise, at the end of the process, they gave me a personalized pro model bat. I don't mean they stamped my name on the barrel... they lifted my signature from a letter I'd written, made a plate for it, and burned that into the barrel, with name also printed, just like the big guys. Quite unexpected. And a lot of work for them. I treasure the bat. And I figure some great-grandkid will have it out in a field one day, hitting rocks with it... But I'll be gone then.

Nothing but good experiences for me. But I was warned to NEVER loan anything to the National Baseball Museum. And to not leave a bequest of baseball memorabilia to them, either.

Frank.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Barry, it's not hard to keep a low profile. I've never publicized the fact that I probably have one of the largest sportscard collections held in private hands. In fact, I shun publicity. I've never been much of a social butterfly. When I mentioned the collection's value, I'm adding up all sports and the non-sports.

Yes Jay, the bank is small.

Leon, I have most of the cards from the major sets from 1887 through 1948. Also most of the rookie cards of important players from 1948 through 1990. Almost all sports are represented in the collection and some non-sport issues. And sportscards aren't the only things I collect. I have autographs of nearly every HOFer in all sports. Also historical autographs, letters, documents. Almost every US postage stamp in unused condition from 1847 through 1960. A monstrous coin collection all the way from Ptolemy coins through modern. A currency collection. Political memorabilia collection. Unused sports tickets from the 1890s through 1980s. I am a gun collector also. There isn't enough room at the bank for everything so for the less valuable stuff, there is a walk-in vault here at the home also. Again, I have good reason not to advertise or maintain a high-profile.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey George,

Do you have some rough duplicates of National Chicle's Sky Birds? I'm lacking a few of the high number cards and would like to fill that set out.

Also, I'd love to see a scan of a T222 Lelivelt card. I'd like to buy one, but can't find one. If you have one, please post a scan or email me one, please sir.

thanks. Frank.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

WOW!!! George how do you keep track of it all???? Must be mind blowing to look at all those cards! Did I hear your right in the other thread 6000+ T206s alone! My god thats got to weigh 200lbs LOL.

Gun collector, me as well. All types, any focus. You dont happen to have a .45 Luger do you?

Thanks for sharing..

Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Thanks George, sounds pretty amazing. And I'm intrigued as much by the stamps and coins, as I've collected both.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

We have been active collectors of extraordinary rare and valuable baseball items
since 1977.

From time to time, we have donated a number of items to museums.

There are six items on exhibit at the Negro League Museum which we donated.

Items from our collection have been featured at several exhibits. Most recently
the Brooklyn Museum had an exhibit on The Dodgers...a select number of items
were loaned/

In the Spring of 2007, The Museum of The City of New York will have a major
6 month exhibition celebrating The Glory Days of Baseball in New York City.

We expect that 20-30 items from our collection will be on exhibit. John Thorn
has written a companion book which will be sold at the exhibit and will be in
major bookstores across the country in late May. In said book there are
a number of items from our collection.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Not on the same scale as some others here. I recommend this, it only takes a couple of hours.

My wife and I give impromptu shows at a local nursing home. Their eyes really brighten when holding some of the cards (W517 and Goudey reprints)and I think that they actually listen to my shpiel. They become animated and inquisitive and often bring up childhood memories.

The Rec lady tells me we're behind the Sinatra impersonator, but ahead of the macrame' class in popularity. My wife gets especially embarrassed when I make her take the lead in singing 'Take me out to the Ballgame'. It's always great laughs, very little effort and brings 'em back if for only a brief time. Incidentally, though some have fallen asleep, knock on wood, not one cardiac arrest.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Yes but not baseball cards. A good portion of my Titanic relic collection will soon be going on display at the Branson, MO Titanic museum (world's largest).

They specifically requested my entire Titanic trade card collection, which is highlighted by the mid-grade pre-sinking Cadbury's card. Although some say it's not rare, it is scarce and has a high insurance appraisal value for a non-sport card.

Kevin

Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Steve F you are to be commended for your charitable and kind act of sharing your cards and baseball stories with people in a nursing home. To me that is more impressive that any donation of cards to any museum. A very selfless and noble deed, you are to congratulated.
tbob

Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

very nice!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I too applaud you. I would try it myself except that it would be so depressing as I would look like everyone there.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Steve,

I knew I remembered that someone here had shown cards at a local nursing home, but I couldn't remember who it was. My brother runs a nursing home about 500 yards from where I live, and I've thought I'd like to do the same thing.

Do you mind if I email you with some questions about how you do it, what you show, details like that?

Thanks,

Joann

Old 03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Sure thing Joann. fdnyladder7@comcast.net

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Frank, only have a small number of the Skybirds. They are graded and in safe deposit. Don't really want to sell them. They are: Rickenbacker, Amundsen, Earhart, Doolittle, Richthofen, Post, Lindbergh, Wright. Only have 7 of the Fatima card set, no Lelivelt.

John, actually the T206 cards weigh much more than 200 pounds since they are all in slabs or screwdowns. Don't own a .45 Luger, but I have a .454 Ruger Super Redhawk and I own the gas operated fully functional .475 Wildey Magnum that Charles Bronson used to shoot the Giggler in Death Wish 3. This is the actual gun he shot blanks from in the movie. Haven't put it on the market yet, but am willing to sell the Wildey Magnum for $9000 if someone is ever interested.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Selling guns on Net54?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Alan,
what size window ?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Ralph - It's basically a showcase like a window sill maybe like 6' or 8' wide. Not big at all. Every few months they have different themes (African American history, civil war, political memorabilia, Indian, glassware, etc,...

Alan

Old 03-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

i've loaned a portion of my card collection to our local university library and got a great response.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

George,

Ok WOW now I’m really impressed…6000+ T206’s in slabs and screw downs.

It takes about 4 cards in the avg. PSA holder to equal one inch about 3 in SGC holders. How do I know this I was considering grading my T206 set and was concerned about box space.

So 6000 cards would equal about 1500 1-inch bundles of 4 cards each, so roughly about 125ft of T206’s WOW!!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I have considered the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown but heard that my cards may not be returned to me after a set amount of time that I determine to be sufficient.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Wonka, are you talking about the .45cal 1906 U.S. test Luger or the .45cal Luger carbine? Ralph Shattuck is selling the carbine for just a cool $1,000,000. Man would I love to shoot either one of those.

As for showing my collection, I lent my local newspaper some items. They didn't use half of the items. The items they used I received no credit or thank you for.