NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: TBob

I am wondering if those of you who frequent the card shows and hobby shops can tell me if the recent surge (over the last year) in prices in caramel cards is an eBay phenomenon or if it is across the board? It seems like a handful of collectors have spurred the price increase in caramels (E94s, E97s, E98s, etc. in particular)and have driven up the final prices much like a handful of collectors on eBay have driven the prices of T207 scarce back cards out of sight and 2x, 3x and even 4x book.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: jay behrens

Lee and I have fantasies about going to card shows/shops around here and seeing vintage cards of any type. If a dealer does have one, it looks like the e95 Plank I posted and they want 4 figures for the card.

Jay

Old 03-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Bob-

A few of us had an email thread on this topic earlier this week. My impression was that the E card mania had cooled off this year and Pete generally agreed (Leon had a contrary opinion, but y'know...). There seems to be less inventory and less people chasing them.

The T207 price hiccup has become chronic . I thought it would settle down, but what's happened instead is that more buyers have jumped in and lots of tough cards have come up to meet the demand. There have been 3 or 4 Roy Millers just in the past couple months, when we couldn't find them before. That timn1 fellow was ahead of his time...

To put the whammy in effect, let me state right now that M116's will never, ever be popular. Ever.

Bill

Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: petecld

Tbob,

I rarely find more then a half dozen tables at card shows here in Chicago that have more then one or two candy cards. And I'm talking about the BIG 100+ table shows, not the small ones. Usually they are in bad shape or WAY over priced so you see the same cards, over & over & over again. Rarely do you see new cards appear. eBay is easier and you don't need to buy table space.

Only at the last show in Nov. 2003 did I find a dealer with - get this - an ENTIRE DISPLAY CASE with nothing but candy cards - too bad his prices were 2X or 3X curren market prices. I'd have made his weekend, he**, his MONTH. He's been selling on eBay and I see reality is setting in for him.

Law of nature - what goes up, must come down. A little patince goes a long way.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: TBob

is that the low end (F-G, G, G-VG) caramel cards continue to sell like wildfire.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: Ben

I think the low grade caramels do so well because they really suit set collectors with smaller budgets. A set of 25, or 30 cards sounds alot less intimidating and expensive than a monster 514 card t206 set, or even 200 card sets like t205 set or t207.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: Joe P.

Quote by Tbob:
"I am wondering if those of you who frequent the card shows and hobby shops can tell me if the recent surge (over the last year) in prices in caramel cards is an eBay phenomenon or if it is across the board? It seems like a handful of collectors have spurred the price increase in caramels (E94s, E97s, E98s, etc. in particular)and have driven up the final prices much like a handful of collectors on eBay have driven the prices of T207 scarce back cards out of sight and 2x, 3x and even 4x book."
Tbob, there is a difference between a collector, and a speculating slabhead.
The views of the apple of their eyes couldn't be furher apart.
One views it with an unconditional love affair, and the other with what can it get for me later.
The slab was created as a selling point, and not as a saving factor.

Is there an album on the market that can hold over 600 hundred slabbed T206's or T210's?

Would YOU want to carry it around?

What say an album put out by PRO?

Knowing that we don't have any slabheads here at Slab Haven, we can all smile at the above.

Keep smiling folks, it's only cardboard.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: warshawlaw

Count me in as one of the frustrated T collectors who is looking at the E sets.

I am working the T206 HOFers and popular players portraits perpetually, yet I know that I have no realistic CHANCE of EVER finishing, no matter how much I TINKER with it. I started when I was YOUNG and COBB-led together many of the minor HOFer cards here and there with smart trades and sharp purchases, but given the weak PLANK on which I am setting financially, the whole endeavor has a WAGNER-ian tragedy feel to it. Sometimes the frustration KLINGs to me like stink on poop.

Now a 25-30 card caramel set, that I can do, even at $200 a card.

I also hadn't really noticed that the art on these cards is every bit as good as the T206 and in some cases even better (I'll take my E95 Matty over his T206 card any day).

Old 03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: runscott

I laughed even as I retched!

Old 03-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel cards

Posted By: runscott

but you could easily have used "Johnson" as part of your description of how you reacted when you landed your first t206.