NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default E95 Harry Lord - Variation or Stamp/Marker?

Posted By: Erich

Hi - I have a large portion of my collection up on the B/S/T section, and have had several inquiries about my e95 Lord, pictured below, because of the Boston across his chest.

I'm curious what the board thinks about the 'Boston' across Lord's chest. I don't think it's a stamp because of the half 'B' in Boston. But it may be a marker or a variation. Anyone seen something similar to this? What do people think it is?

[linked image]

Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I've never seen that on an E95 Lord.

My guess is that it is on there with a marker. If it is a water soluble marker you could find out by soaking, which is a bad idea if it turns out to be water soluble, because it may well make a mess of the card.

You could SLIGHTLY dampen a Q-Tip with water, and gently roll it across the lettering a tiny bit, to see if red comes off. If it is water soluble, I'd think you'd get a tiny bit of red and could do this without messing up the looks of the card. If water yields no red, try a TINY bit of rubbing alcohol, and gently roll it across a part of a letter again. If neither pick up red, then the possibility of a variation seems greater. I think you'll find it's been 'added' on there. I've had some old Exhibit cards that were 'updated' to show the new team... well done, but added nonetheless.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

It could be a stamp. A piece of paper may have been placed on the border to prevent the full "B" from showing. The lettering isn't correct for the "Boston" logo of that era, as well. The font was less fancy.

If you were to take out the sock and level the lettering on the Cicotte below, that would give you an idea of the logo circa 1909.

[linked image]

EDIT: sp

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Erich,

I've seen that exact card before and others from the E95 set that have similar lettering. I believe a child (or adult) had numerous E95s and addded the team notations in or around 1909. Below is a scan of a Doyle that had similar lettering added to it. Note that the lettering was done so nicely that SGC missed it when grading the card. Certainly it was NOT subtle!

Photobucket

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

[linked image]

Same kid did mine...if you decide to sell the above drop me a line would love to have another one of these...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

John - as an FYI, I know the Doyle was for sale at one time but not sure if it is now. I actually agreed to purchase it from Peter Calderon as an upgrade for the Doyle in my E95 set. Soon after, I noticed that the NY was added (I didn't catch the glaring issue at first) and so Peter and I mutually agreed that the purchase could be called off after all, I wanted an upgrade. You could email Peter to see if it is still available.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I wouldn't bother trying to remove it. Most ink doesn't dissolve in water anyway, and you're likely to do more damage than good trying to scrub it off. If you did find something that dissolved the ink, the ink would likely smear or bleed, making it a lot worse.

Besides, the card looks nice as is. Leave well enough alone, as they say.

As an aside, I don't think any baseball card ink from any era dissolves in water. While water may warp the card or do something to the surface texture, it won't dissolve the printing ink. In the lab, specific kind of alcohols are used to dissolve printing ink. Water won't do anything but get the printed object wet.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Yes, very neat.. especially when there are other examples.. It kind of makes you wonder who might have adding coloring to all his or her cards. It's a pretty neat little time capsule if you ask me.. leave it as is.

marty
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If the kid drew glasses and a mustache I'd seriously think about how to remove the ink. But he was a fine little craftsman.

Refer to the card as hand tinted.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I agree with cycleback...

To be clear, I was not advocating trying to remove it. I was suggesting a way that you could determine if it were original or added... Added still seems likely to me.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

I think it is neat and cool and pretty sure added to the card after production from the information presented. I would leave as is and in fact would not mind owning it.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Fandango

certainly doesnt look like the work of a "kid"

looks like a skilled artist had a sweet tooth