NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Legendary Auction

I am quite surprised that the thread that Doug posted that his auction ends tonight and tomorrow was taken down. Similar threads are put up by numerous other auction houses and are allowed to remain. This kind of censorship is just wrong. Either all should be allowed or none should be allowed, and as long as the postings are not excessive I would vote for all.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree; innocent until proven guilty.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I am quite surprised that the thread that Doug posted that his auction ends tonight and tomorrow was taken down. Similar threads are put up by numerous other auction houses and are allowed to remain. This kind of censorship is just wrong. Either all should be allowed or none should be allowed, and as long as the postings are not excessive I would vote for all.
Jay- As I explained to you on the phone, the ad wasn't run by me first, as the rules state they need to be. I moved it to the appropriate section. Why you say it was taken down, I don't know. regards
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Leon--You're right. It was not taken down, just hidden from general view. I think this was the wrong decision and hope that in the future you will treat all auction houses the same, something I'm sure you would want for Brockelman and Luckey if someone else controlled the chat board.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default One other thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Leon--You're right. It was not taken down, just hidden from general view. I think this was the wrong decision and hope that in the future you will treat all auction houses the same, something I'm sure you would want for Brockelman and Luckey if someone else controlled the chat board.
Jay- I realize you won't agree with this but I have to say that folks who advertise on the board do get more privileges with announcing their auctions. Doug Allen has declined to advertise and that is fine. I still like Doug and bid in Legendary Auctions. However I do have to give the folks that pay to advertise a good value for their hard earned dollars. They are paying for the right to have their auctions be known to the Net54baseball crowd. Others that don't care to advertise can still post their auctions on the BST page where they are supposed to be. That is my call as I also get to take all of the threats of lawsuits, Cease and Desist orders, and other crap associated with running the board. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 08-24-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Does that mean that for $300 a month you can buy Leon's endless loyalty?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Does that mean that for $300 a month you can buy Leon's endless loyalty?
No, but maybe $350 and we can talk!!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

sorry for somewhat O/T, but can someone remind me what time Legendary usually ends? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Phil Garry

Unfortunately 3 hours later on the east coast than it does on the west coast.......
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"You must place an initial bid on an item before 9:00 PM Central Time on auction closing day to be eligible to bid on that item during the extended bidding period that starts at 10:00 PM. If you are the only bidder on a given lot at 9:00 PM then that lot is automatically closed out and you are declared the winner. At 10:00 PM Central Time, the 30 Minute Rule starts and EACH lot will close individually after that lot goes 30 minutes with no new bids. Whenever a new bid is placed, the 30-minute timer will be reset and the countdown will restart."
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Phil Garry

My favorite item is the 1881 Chicago BB Club imperial cabinet but I'm sure that we all know where that lot is going to go.........
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Thanks Jay, couldn't remember if it was by lot or all at once.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Legendary is ends lot by lot, so the auction won't end at insane times like some auctions do. (Of course, when I consign, I often prefer those insane ending times.)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Unfortunately 3 hours later on the east coast than it does on the west coast.......
Hee hee, the only reason I am glad my family relocated from NYC to LA.

On the main topic, my impression was that the purpose of announcing auctions on the main board was to serve the community by reminding members of when auctions are starting or ending. I've found that helpful in the past as I sometimes lose track of a given auction. Having the announcements in the BST isn't as helpful, IMO, since I tend to cruise through the main board several times a day but frequent the BST far less often.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-24-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

On the main topic, my impression was that the purpose of announcing auctions on the main board was to serve the community by reminding members of when auctions are starting or ending. I've found that helpful in the past as I sometimes lose track of a given auction. Having the announcements in the BST isn't as helpful, IMO, since I tend to cruise through the main board several times a day but frequent the BST far less often.
And Doug still didn't follow the rules. The announcements in the BST don't get the amount of publicity as the main board, I agree with that.

Why would you buy the cow if you can milk it for free? best regards
Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Hee hee, the only reason I am glad my family relocated from NYC to LA.
I thought it was because we don't whine over little earth tremors like they do on the east coast?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Why should he have not moved it? First of all, they broke the rules. Second, they don't advertise here. There's absolutely no reason for Leon to allow Legendary Auctions to post an advertisement in the main board. I really don't see an argument.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I thought it was because we don't whine over little earth tremors like they do on the east coast?
Boy, are we getting blasted just because we're afraid of small earthquakes. Wait until the day LA gets a foot of snow- we'll see how you guys deal with that.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Boy, are we getting blasted just because we're afraid of small earthquakes. Wait until the day LA gets a foot of snow- we'll see how you guys deal with that.
What is this "snow," of which you speak?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Matt Wieder

The price on the heavily trimmed Waldon Smith Boston Cabinet is surprising to me - Lew Lipsett had a complete one (SGC 30) sell earlier this year for $8700 - the trimmed on all 4 sides one in Legendary is already at $5k + juice.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

The irony of this thread is that Doug ended up getting his notice out to people on the main board despite Leon "burying" his post on the BST. Mission accomplished!

With the email notifications as well as a catalog, I wonder if ads or posts on the main board REALLY result in more bids for an auction house like Legendary?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM

The bidders in Legendary know perfectly well when their desired lots/auction will end. It probably makes no difference if there was a reminder thread on here or not.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Kenny Cole

The other irony is that, were one to go back through the threads, even to the Mastro days, Leon was usually getting grief because he was too close to Doug Allen and was too much on Doug's side insofar as the stuff on the board was concerned. Now he's getting it because he didn't treat Doug as well as he treats others. Go figure.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The bidders in Legendary know perfectly well when their desired lots/auction will end. It probably makes no difference if there was a reminder thread on here or not.
The thread is for piece of mind for the consignors.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

...and surely those Kalamazoo Bats and Gypsy Queens can't go for such low prices...dang! worse than being deep into D cards, whilst the whole world is buying low grade T206's.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
...and surely those Kalamazoo Bats and Gypsy Queens can't go for such low prices...dang! worse than being deep into D cards, whilst the whole world is buying low grade T206's.
Send me all your D cards. I'm buying!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The thread is for piece of mind for the consignors.
My very first thought.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Hmmm

Anthony --

Looks like those guys should have stayed on the road instead of cutting through the grass. There's a lot of snow on the grass...

Cheers,
Geno
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
In Portland when we get a couple inches of snow the city shuts down. Schools close for about a week.
JimB
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Craig

Bumping the thread Jim?
Are you a consignor?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Phil -

Auctions end at the same time on both coasts. It's the earth's rotation that's the issue.

I've lived on both sides and I'll tell you that this "West Coast advantage" is a myth: late is late.

Bill
Old 08-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Phil -

Auctions end at the same time on both coasts. It's the earth's rotation that's the issue.

I've lived on both sides and I'll tell you that this "West Coast advantage" is a myth: late is late.

Bill
West Coast advantage????? Everything happens so early! You think watching the World Series at 5 PM is convenient?????
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Kevin Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Why would you buy the cow if you can milk it for free? best regards
Because you want steak?