NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Ebay seller to avoid: candwvintageautographs

This might be the most obvious shill bidder ever. I won thse two auctions below, a Cobb Postaco stamp and a Cobb German Transfer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260530226974

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250555637841

After winning the auctions I checked out the bidding history and noticed an underbidder who had a feedback rating of 118 but with only 9 auctions bid on in the past 30 days -- but all, 100%, with this seller. And the cards this underbidder bid on were pretty diverse: graded prewar baseball cards, autographed postwar baseball cards and even boxing autographs....but no graded prewar baseball cards, autographed postwar baseball or boxing autographs with any other seller. Not surprisingly, this underbidder never won any of the 9 auctions he bid on the seller's, he only served to drive the final price up.

So I emailed the seller after receiving the cards and he/she responded in part as follows:

"We were very surprised to receive this email as we have succesfully (sic) completed transactions in the past.
If you look into the History of this piece on Vintage Card prices you can see we actually took a decent loss on the card from where we bought it at Auction."

Basically telling me that since they lost money on the card I shouldn't be upset that they shill bid it up $131. No denial of shill bidding, of course. They also promised to work with ebay to get the negative feedback removed; ebay will no doubt comply despite the most brazen shill bidding on ebay I've just about ever seen.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM

sorry-wrong thread

Last edited by andybecker; 01-10-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Were the words conspiracy theorist ever used?

Last edited by Rob D.; 01-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Don

Email the shiller and ask him a question about a card the seller has. If he answers, then he's busted.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:33 PM

That's one of the reasons masking all bidders except the
winner is a bad idea. No way to tell who the underbidder is
just from those auctions.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Don

I forgot about the ID masking.

I keep remembering the wild ebay days when you could contact anyone and leave feedback for anyone, regardless if you had a transaction with them.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I forgot about the ID masking.

I keep remembering the wild ebay days when you could contact anyone and leave feedback for anyone, regardless if you had a transaction with them.
I miss those days. Ebay was such a better place a decade + ago.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Jeff,

Your underbidder is this chap http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ows=200&sort=3.

In case the name does not ring a bell, this thread http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83587 will help jog your memory.

Greg
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Greg, your skills are impressive. And what a surprise -- the underbidder on the cards I won is crooked. Gee, never would have guessed that. I'll be putting together a nice package of information for a special someone I know.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM

I actually won an autographed lot from this seller several months ago. They had put all kinds of stuff in one lot. PSA/DNA baseballs, photos, hall of fame plaques and maybe some other stuff. I forget now. Anyhow, I got a GREAT deal. I paid and after a couple of weeks and not getting anything, emailed the seller. I was told they were out of town and would check with the person that does their shipping when they get back in 10 days. They did however give me the option of a refund right then. Imagine that.

Long story short, after over a month of getting the complete run around filing a complaint with Paypal and just in general a big headache, I got my stuff. I seriously though about leaving negative feedback but since I got what I ordered, I didn't and just decided to never order from them again.

Sounds like one to stay away from.