NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
By the way, I'm almost certain that you've seen this as a Dodgers fan. But on the off chance that you haven't, I have a documentary that HBO did on the Dodgers called Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush. I recorded it last August, and I've probably watched it about 10 times by now. I'm going to watch it again this morning. I love it, and it really hammers home just how special the franchise was. I'm not old enough to really identify with Brooklyn fans that way, because while Milwaukee lost the Braves to Atlanta, by the time I was born in September of 1971, the city had already acquired the Brewers, who had, of course, been the new expansion Seattle Pilots in 1969. So I've never known my city to not have a baseball team (though the jokes have been made that the city didn't have a Major League Baseball team throughout much of the 90s, just a minor league team renting out County Stadium.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it, Drew, it's a must see. HBO Sports can't do enough baseball documentaries to keep me happy. They can do no wrong.

The doc they did on Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams are permanently saved on my DVR. If that thing ever goes, I don't know what I would do besides pray that HBO shows it again. I think the Mantle is available on DVD, so I may have to pick it up. I'd pay handsomely for all of them.

This is currently available on youtube. Thanks for the heads up. It was one of the best baseball documentaries that I have ever seen and I highly recommend it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
By the way, I'm almost certain that you've seen this as a Dodgers fan. But on the off chance that you haven't, I have a documentary that HBO did on the Dodgers called Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush. I recorded it last August, and I've probably watched it about 10 times by now. I'm going to watch it again this morning. I love it, and it really hammers home just how special the franchise was. I'm not old enough to really identify with Brooklyn fans that way, because while Milwaukee lost the Braves to Atlanta, by the time I was born in September of 1971, the city had already acquired the Brewers, who had, of course, been the new expansion Seattle Pilots in 1969. So I've never known my city to not have a baseball team (though the jokes have been made that the city didn't have a Major League Baseball team throughout much of the 90s, just a minor league team renting out County Stadium.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it, Drew, it's a must see. HBO Sports can't do enough baseball documentaries to keep me happy. They can do no wrong.

The doc they did on Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams are permanently saved on my DVR. If that thing ever goes, I don't know what I would do besides pray that HBO shows it again. I think the Mantle is available on DVD, so I may have to pick it up. I'd pay handsomely for all of them.

This is currently available on youtube. Thanks for the heads up. It was one of the best baseball documentaries that I have ever seen and I highly recommend it.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Great pick ups and additions to your growing collection of autographs.
Congrats Frank
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Default Final Update

Finally, added some potential Future HOFers through MAB Clearance Sale and MLBAA Private Signing (Mike Trout, Curt Schilling, Bruce Bochy & Jim Palmer). The signatures are all disgusting, which is a separate issue all together. The Palmer is a double and is FS (PM with offer if interested).

Last edited by tazdmb; 11-24-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

That reminds me of three autographed balls I saw for sale the other day. I couldn't match them up with the signers, and there were only three. Looking forward to the day when glyphs are no longer popular - then Jim Palmer can revert back to his old readable signature.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default November Pickups

Love this card. It's so unique and from a "What Could Have Been" set. Trout signed Superfractor Proof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416872587.125396.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 11-24-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

How to Hook Slide

Bud Hassett was a 23-yr old minor leaguer at AA Columbus, yet to play a major league game, when he wrote this letter to a young fan.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

How to Hit Inside-Out by Dolph Camilli April, 1935

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Buck Newsom January, 1935 - apparently he thought quite highly of Lou Gehrig

My new favorite autograph:

Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Cecil Travis - Travis was only 21 and had just finished his first full season in the major leagues when he gave this advice to a young fan. I'm sure that if you asked, Mike Trout would also send you a two-page handwritten letter on playing the outfield.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Buck Newsom January, 1935 - apparently he thought quite highly of Lou Gehrig

My new favorite autograph:
That is awesome. Reminds you of how great Gehrig was.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Since this forum is not limited only to baseball, I thought I'd share a hockey pickup that I'm especially stoked about!

This is the earliest known professional hockey contract of a Hall-of-Famer ever sold at auction. It is the 1921-22 "rookie" contract of HOFer Herb Gardiner.

But something important was never noted when this item was offered at 2 separate auction houses...the contract is autographed by a second hockey HOFer at the top...Lloyd Turner, who was inducted in the HOF as a "builder" and was coined Calgary's "Mr. Hockey" in the early 20th century.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herb Gardiner and Lloyd Turner contract.jpg (74.6 KB, 333 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Just picked up this great Eisenhower letter...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.9 KB, 307 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Picked up this Maris personalized photo from Goldins Auction. The seller had it on Ebay a while ago and I offered $400 for it. (as my name is Randy) He declined and put it in Goldins auction. I won it for a $350 bid so the guy probably only got $280 for it in the end. I am approximately the same age as the kid in the photo so I took an old picture of myself and attached it over his head... LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marisnew.jpg (45.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1368.jpg (74.9 KB, 284 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Mike Navarro

Randall,

That's awesome. I love what you did with that.

Mike
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Randall,

That's awesome. I love what you did with that.

Mike

thanks, I thought it worked out OK.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Picked up this Maris personalized photo from Goldins Auction. The seller had it on Ebay a while ago and I offered $400 for it. (as my name is Randy) He declined and put it in Goldins auction. I won it for a $350 bid so the guy probably only got $280 for it in the end. I am approximately the same age as the kid in the photo so I took an old picture of myself and attached it over his head... LOL
A classic!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Happy to snag this Spahn off the BST, mine is on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947 Tip Top Bread Warren Spahn signed.jpg (75.8 KB, 229 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Just picked up this great Eisenhower letter...
Nice pickups lately! How many are you up to?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Since this forum is not limited only to baseball, I thought I'd share a hockey pickup that I'm especially stoked about!

This is the earliest known professional hockey contract of a Hall-of-Famer ever sold at auction. It is the 1921-22 "rookie" contract of HOFer Herb Gardiner.

But something important was never noted when this item was offered at 2 separate auction houses...the contract is autographed by a second hockey HOFer at the top...Lloyd Turner, who was inducted in the HOF as a "builder" and was coined Calgary's "Mr. Hockey" in the early 20th century.
That contract is awesome. I know hockey won't get any love here, but that is really nice
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

OK, this is not sports related but I was able to meet Artimus Pyle today. for those who don't know, he is the semi-original drummer for Lynyrd Skynyrd. He was on the plane when it crashed back in 1977. Anyway he was at the Rock & Roll Expo in Philly. He was signing for $20 so I took over my original Street Survivors album. the guy was just the greatest. He talked to people at length, posed for pics and actually would sign more than once on items. I saw him write a whole story in one guys album. Best $20 I spent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1373.jpg (62.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.jpg (70.2 KB, 229 views)

Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
That contract is awesome. I know hockey won't get any love here, but that is really nice
Thanks Jason - much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
thanks, I thought it worked out OK.
The question now is would PSA still authenticate it since the photo has been "tampered" with .
Randy, now you have to find a pic of MM with a similar inscription.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-01-2014, 05:06 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Not new pickups, but I did just "pick them up" from the framer...Very happy with how these turned out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.jpg (69.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.jpg (70.5 KB, 102 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Not new pickups, but I did just "pick them up" from the framer...Very happy with how these turned out...
James,
Those are AWESOME!! Congrats. The Ruth especially is a killer.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Thanks Scott!!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:32 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

James, as always you have picked up some great items. I always look forward to seeing your posts.
Keep it up!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM
David Linardy

Default The babe

James,

They came out great! I love how the babe page is floating in the Matt...Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Quote: