NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Default Heads Up?....The Headless Hitsman

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy 

Sorry I lost my head....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2751327757&category=31719

Old 09-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I wonder what grade that would get?

Old 09-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Recently there were several other T222's listed on ebay with similiar damage at the top of the card. What would cause this--fading due to light exposure, water damage, or perhaps is this the result of something going haywire in the production of the card? Any ideas?

Brian

Old 09-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The Fatimas are photographs, so it's possible that there was an error in the original development. That type underexposure is rare to any type of photograph from any era ... It seems unlikely that exposure to light would make the head totally dissapear, though it's possible. Even with severe light damage, you usually see a ghost of the original image ... The seller's a seasoned fellow, and I'm sure would notice if the head was pealed or scratced off.

Old 09-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: halleygator

No, I think you guys are all mistaken.

I remember my grandfather telling me about this guy. He used to tell me stories at night about how Pete Gray played with one arm ... and how this guy played with no head. Two of the most courageous players of all time.

The third would be Manny Ramirez, who is playing with NO HEART.

Old 09-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

were at the national........I'm sure that's where Jonstats bought them. I looked through them and all of them had severe fading at the top of the card. One of two things happened. When they were packaged, they were already messed up or somehow something got on the top 1/4 to 1/5 of the card and caused the fading. They didn't look intentionally altered. Prices, at the national, on all of them were about $60 per I think.

Old 09-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Update:

We discussed these cards on the Chat the same evening that I posted this thread. I also had seen three (3) T222s at the National showing the same fading pattern.
Fatima Bill had a scan of the back of one of these "fading Fatimas" which revealed a burn mark pattern. Therefore, it seems logical that these cards were exposed to some sort of "heat" source on the back side of the card.

Patrick

Old 09-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and although I had at first said "no way that could have been done with heat," it was quite obvious at the end of the demonstration that that's exacatly how it was probably done. A match or other heat source was applied to the back of a photo, and the front faded, while the back got a scorch mark. I assume with the "headless horseman," it was done intentionally for a joke (sad joke), since the fading is in a specific spot at the center of the photo.