NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Kevin Andrews

Default 1921 American Caramel E121 Series of 80 Welcomes Mr. Tom Rogers

A little over a week ago I was blessed enough to be on ebay at the right time (before any of the couple of other E121 collectors here) and to my suprise found that many cards from both the 1921 E121-80 and 1922 E121-120 sets had just been listed, all in a BIN format. I was away from home at the time and didn't any of my reference material or card lists with me but I was sure of the cards that I didn't have in my collection. Among those listed were several of the tougher pose and NY players that I've shared in a thread last night (E121-8 Jackpot). There was also a card of Tom Rogers that was not in very good shape but I was certain I didn't have it so I bought it. A few days later as I was adding the cards to my tracking spreadsheet, I noticed that he wasn't listed in any of the guides, wasn't mentioned by Lew Lipset in his material and is not included by either PSA nor SGC as a required card for their registry sets. Many of the cards that I shared last night as well as the Rogers card came from the raw large lot of E121 and related cards that just sold in most recent REA auction. I was actually one of the under-bidders on the lot but didn't realize at that point that the card wasn't listed and apparently neither did REA. I'm fairly certain it would have been mentioned.

The card arrived yesterday in the mail and is now in my posession and I've been able to examine it and while it's somewhat fragile there's nothing to lead me to believe that it isn't as real as any of the other caramel cards that I have from the same era. The back is damaged, but it's clearly an series of 80card that can't be anything other than an E121-80 that isn't currently listed as part of the set. After consulting with another E121 collector earlier today (I'll let him identify himself if he wishes), and gaining agreement that it is an E121-80, let's welcome Mr. Rogers to the E121-80 neighborhood!

Last edited by old-baseball; 06-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default if

If this is true this could be what we are speaking about it in the other thread, new discoveries in mainstream sets. I consider E121 fairly mainstream. Congrats.....It will need to be added to checklists if it is affirmatively verified by the checklist sources....
Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Kevin Andrews

Leon that why I put out the thought in the other thread. I was a bit surprised that it got through REA without being identified, but it certainly looks like the real thing to me.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Default E121 Series of 80 Rogers

Congrats Kevin in picking up this card...to me it is a pretty substantial addition to a major set. The other threads I have started about this set were mostly to try to narrow down the group of cards that are on the checklist but not confirmed. Now we need to add a card. If a major set were to add a card it would be the E121 Series of 80 set...the thing is just completely nutty. Thanks for sharing with us.

Brian
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Matt Wieder

FYI:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=74970
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Woncha be

Thanks for posting the seven year old thread link Matt. Looks like there might be a few more Series of 80 Rogers that have already been welcomed to the neighborhood.

Brian